• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

Washing Streets with Bleach - Urban Hygiene

San Diego is to begin washing its streets with bleach to combat a deadly hepatitis outbreak.

Earlier this month San Diego County officials declared a public health emergency due to the spread of the liver disease that has killed 15 people and hospitalised 300 more.

Crews will start the pressure washing of surfaces that may be contaminated with feces, blood or other bodily fluids.

Strangely I can't find anywhere in the world other than the good ole USA that does or has to do this.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/11/san-diego-to-begin-street-washing-amid-hepatitis-outbreak/

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

San Diego is to begin washing its streets with bleach to combat a deadly hepatitis outbreak.

Earlier this month San Diego County officials declared a public health emergency due to the spread of the liver disease that has killed 15 people and hospitalised 300 more.

Crews will start the pressure washing of surfaces that may be contaminated with feces, blood or other bodily fluids.

Strangely I can't find anywhere in the world other than the good ole USA that does or has to do this.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/11/san-diego-to-begin-street-washing-amid-hepatitis-outbreak/

In the olden days (my gran) it was common to wash the path outside your house with bleach and water. 

19 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Perfect in the 70's as per the picture 

only kills 99% now , waste of time 

IMG_3820.PNG

4 hours ago, Wahoo said:

Sounds like a good idea...judging by the number of people I see gobbing on the pavement.

You should come to my neck of the woods. The Nepalese are world-class spitters, hoiking up the most obnoxious greenies and gobbing them all over the place. They don't even try to hide it. They also don't use hankies but just hold one nostril closed and snort their snot all over the floor. I won't mention the shitting behind the bushes near the tennis courts.

10 hours ago, Wahoo said:

Sounds like a good idea...judging by the number of people I see gobbing on the pavement.

I saw someone do that on a tube platform recently, it wasn't even one of the above ground ones which somehow make it worse.

Wouldn't be a bad idea on a saturday morning down the high streets of many towns. 

Go for a walk down one of these pavements at that time and you'll be dodging regurgitated kebabs 'n lager, splashes of blood (did you look at my bird?) small estuaries of piss and on the rare occasion, a used nodder.

Oxford high street in saturday morning was absolutely disgusting.

All of that said, the prize for the most bubonic of streets would go to anywhere in mainland China. Common practise to see the locals flobbing something that looks like an uncooked oyster on the the pavement. And worse...

Hong Kong used to be bad for this but they got their acts together after SARS.

7 hours ago, the gardener said:

You should come to my neck of the woods. The Nepalese are world-class spitters, hoiking up the most obnoxious greenies and gobbing them all over the place. They don't even try to hide it. They also don't use hankies but just hold one nostril closed and snort their snot all over the floor. I won't mention the shitting behind the bushes near the tennis courts.

Time to move away from Kathmandu?

32 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Wouldn't be a bad idea on a saturday morning down the high streets of many towns. 

Go for a walk down one of these pavements at that time and you'll be dodging regurgitated kebabs 'n lager, splashes of blood (did you look at my bird?) small estuaries of piss and on the rare occasion, a used nodder.

Oxford high street in saturday morning was absolutely disgusting.

All of that said, the prize for the most bubonic of streets would go to anywhere in mainland China. Common practise to see the locals flobbing something that looks like an uncooked oyster on the the pavement. And worse...

Hong Kong used to be bad for this but they got their acts together after SARS.

You're obviously familiar with manc city centre too  (although I rarely venture in these days ) , plus the university area is a minefield of pavement pizza, grim

Hepatitis isn't all that easy to catch. When warning about likely transition vectors they don't generally seem to think pavements and street furniture are significant risks: http://www.natap.org/1999/june/hep619299.html

Major risk factors for hepatitis
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HEPATITIS A

• Person-to-person contact
  • Poor personal hygiene
  • Poor sanitation
  • Unsafe sexual practices
  • Employment of contact with day care centers and healthcare institutions such 
    as nursing homes
  • Street drug use

Perhaps providing shelter, toilets and washing facilities to the destitute would be more constructive (for this and countless other infectious diseases) than regularly hosing down the whole city. 

"Faecal matter enters the mouth" - one of the reasons people wear masks outside, to stop infection.

China%2520bird%2520flu%2520face%2520masks_Reuters.jpg?ve=1&f=1

A rare sightin the UK.  They were well ahead of the curve. They don't look so silly now.

I used to do this as a kid for my Mum and for my grand-parents. Used to stink like mad with the air filled with bleach. Yesterday they reported that even minimal contact with bleach causes lung problems. So that is somethig else for me to think about re breathing problems I have had over the years.

Hep-A vaccination is not a scheduled NHS process when you are young.

It might be worth having done privately if you live in a inner city economically deprived area?

Edited by 201p

3 hours ago, JFK said:

You're obviously familiar with manc city centre too  (although I rarely venture in these days ) , plus the university area is a minefield of pavement pizza, grim

I am, there's nothing like stepping over a half digested chicken bhuna and eight pints of lager on the way to the shops in the morning.

3 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I used to do this as a kid for my Mum and for my grand-parents. Used to stink like mad with the air filled with bleach. Yesterday they reported that even minimal contact with bleach causes lung problems. So that is somethig else for me to think about re breathing problems I have had over the years.

I saw that headline as well - quite a surprise that they seem to have suddenly discovered the problem.

It's impossible to win of course.  Mind you the Indian Express isn't quite so dramatic.  It's amazing how interconnected the news is all around the world these days.

Edited by twocents