DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Would you have an operation at the moment?

Mouse

I'm scheduled to have elective surgery next week, it should of been done over 18 months ago. It's not a life threatening condition but the op should make me more comfortable.

The thing is I've got used to being like this now and as it's getting closer to the day of surgery I'm feeling more reluctant to put myself at risk. I know any surgery is a risk but don't know if I'm just being stupid thinking this way. I've had lots of medical procedures in the past and they've never bothered me, am I being silly?

Funn3r

Was wondering that myself although I have no surgery expected. Hospitals are icky places at the best of times. Can't decide if it's a worse time because add covid to the list of MRSA and other stuff you can catch in hospital, or a better time because less other people in the hospital. On balance I'd go ahead if it were me.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

Breast reduction? Don't do it! 

OMG! How did you know!!

Thanks Funn3r, I'm flip flopping every day (bloody boobs!) I just don't want to expose myself to excessive risk when I could continue as I am relatively easily. I'm not vaccinated and have never even had a test. The hospital has thoughtfully sent me one to do and even that is stressing me out!.

Edited by Mouse
Add info

sarahbell
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

Bib boobs are over rated.

23 minutes ago, Mouse said:

I'm scheduled to have elective surgery next week, it should of been done over 18 months ago. It's not a life threatening condition but the op should make me more comfortable.

The thing is I've got used to being like this now and as it's getting closer to the day of surgery I'm feeling more reluctant to put myself at risk. I know any surgery is a risk but don't know if I'm just being stupid thinking this way. I've had lots of medical procedures in the past and they've never bothered me, am I being silly?

Will it improve your quality of life?

Is it a useful operation and not on on the list of shit operations they do to appease people?

Edited by sarahbell
  • Agree 1

King Penda
22 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

We might pictures to form a better option .worth a try or have I just got another six months 

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Yes it probably will improve my quality of life (prolapses) I'm trying to work out if it's worth the risk of the op and long recovery time being at a higher risk of a more severe reaction to covid, or should I just carry on as I am.

1 minute ago, ashestoashes said:

best get it done before the hospitals are overwhelmed by the double jabbed and flu cases

That's a good point, thanks

• Agree 3

MrLibertyRedux

Don't know if it helps but I had a hernia repair less than two weeks ago and the hospital seemed business as usual.

I was grateful to be treated so quickly (7 weeks from diagnosis to op).

Could the problem get worse or are there other risks if it is left as is?

• Agree 1

ashestoashes
1 minute ago, Mouse said:

That's a good point, thanks

plus the surgeons will be a little rusty so will take extra care with operations 

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Bear Hug
25 minutes ago, Mouse said:

OMG! How did you know!!

Just first thing that came into my mind when I thought about unnecessary surgery. If it was necessary, you probably wouldn't be asking this question. 

And I occasionally think about breasts... 

My second guess would have been gender reassignment surgery. 

• Lol 3

Hail the Tripod

There’s quite a lot more detail you would need to share in order to get any useful advice. In general though, if you are caught in indecision, there’s an old Roman adage: “Fortune favours the bold.”

The old English equivalent might be: “Faint heart never fucked a fat tart.”

On the other hand I have a lot of scars and have broken my nose several times.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 3

Long-game
42 minutes ago, Mouse said:

Good time to have it done before things shit down again due to pressure on a+e etc. Personally if beneficial to your well being do it. IMHO

• Agree 4

The Generation Game
48 minutes ago, Mouse said:

Anything that you think you need doing soon, I'd get it done. The waiting lists for everything seem to be extending into the "years" category. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jun/10/fixing-nhs-waiting-times-could-cost-40bn-leaked-no-10-estimates-show

• Agree 3

Thanks for all the replies, good to know I'm not just being silly. It's easier to voice things to "strangers" and get their views. 🙂

I think on balance I will go ahead with the op next week. It would take ages to get back to the top of the list if I cancelled and it's possible that my condition could get worse. Think receiving the covid test kit has just given me the wobbles and made it real.

• Agree 5

The Masked Tulip

I know two people who had operations last Summer and last Autumn. One went in twice for cataract surgery - was in and out in an hour both times.

The other person had a cancerous kidney removed and had to spend a considerable time in hospital recovering afterwards.

Both are fine now. Did not catch covid in the hospital.

Subsequently both have got jabbed a few months back.

@The Generation Game is right. Waiting lists are going crazy. Best to get what you need done ASAP. Can you boost your immune system with big doses of Vits D, C, Zinc before you go in? Have more ready for after the op? Plan your stay and your recovery at home now - lots of nourishment for your immune system.

It is a difficult decision but if you need it done then it really is not a choice. The docs are being extra careful. A 78 yr old chap in my area is preparing to go in for heart surgery. He has been going back and forth to the hospital in recent months to do tests. He tells me that everyone he sees is extra careful about covid. He was very worried about catching covid but his heart surgeon was very pragmatic. She told him that she would not do the operation if she thought it was not for his best interests. 

• Agree 4
  • Cheers 1

I'm currently getting all niggles looked investigated atm. Blood work. Tests etc

I work in the NHS. It's the calm before the storm. If staff do get ADE and get ill in significant numbers I fear for the collapse of the NHS.

If I needed and was offered prolapse surgery atm I'd go for it. Surgery is actually one the things the NHS is decent at.

My mum never sorted a prolapse out and that contributed to her demise.

Not advice, just my thoughts.

• Agree 6

Gosh thanks both of you, lots to think about there, thanks for commenting. I'm going to go ahead with it, covid test permitting, unfortunately I can only see things getting worse in the country overall :(

• Cheers 4

Bornagain

I have had a cyst on one of my balls for a few years, it is getting bigger and I have been for an Ultrasound this afternoon and am off to see the surgeon on Monday - I am getting on with this because if the shit hits the fan with the Vaccinated being struck down, then surgery will rapidly become a thing of the past.

So in the words of Mr Pontin - book early !!

• Agree 4

Yadda yadda yadda
4 minutes ago, Mouse said:

Gosh thanks both of you, lots to think about there, thanks for commenting. I'm going to go ahead with it, covid test permitting, unfortunately I can only see things getting worse in the country overall :(

I know a few people who have had minor to middling surgery in the last year. All nervous about getting it done in these circumstances but all glad they went ahead. Good luck!

• Agree 1

jamanda
Posted (edited)

Same with dentistry.  I'm trying to get anything and everything sorted out before the autumn - health wise, money wise, etc.

Edit: I also had an operation this year and I'm still here.

Edited by jamanda
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Hope it all goes well bornagain it never crossed my mind that this might be the calm before the storm, I was just surprised they'd started doing surgery again, the referral came out of the blue a few weeks ago. I've had a phone pre-op and an in hospital pre-op and they both went ok, just got the covid test to clear now.

Thanks YYY!

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

sarahbell
1 hour ago, Mouse said:

Hope it all goes well bornagain it never crossed my mind that this might be the calm before the storm, I was just surprised they'd started doing surgery again, the referral came out of the blue a few weeks ago. I've had a phone pre-op and an in hospital pre-op and they both went ok, just got the covid test to clear now.

Thanks YYY!

Best of luck it all goes smoothly.

• Agree 1

Sucralose Ray Leonard
2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Bib boobs are over rated.

Puff