DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Any builders here?

Shamone

Question

12 answers to this question

Caravan Monster
42 minutes ago, Shamone said:

What do you think of render?

Take into account that if applying it to brick with PVA, the building can never be taken back to brick because it'll take the glazed weatherproof faces of the brick with it. Seen examples like terraces with nice Edwardian brickwork rendered with that crazy fishscale render stuck on with PVA that the owners are unable to take back to it's original condition. 

Shamone
28 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

Take into account that if applying it to brick with PVA, the building can never be taken back to brick because it'll take the glazed weatherproof faces of the brick with it. Seen examples like terraces with nice Edwardian brickwork rendered with that crazy fishscale render stuck on with PVA that the owners are unable to take back to it's original condition. 

Many thanks. What about modern houses? It seems sometime they have low maintenance versions but still seems hassle compared to brick? Why do they do it?

https://www.k-rend.co.uk/

Caravan Monster
1 hour ago, Shamone said:

Many thanks. What about modern houses? It seems sometime they have low maintenance versions but still seems hassle compared to brick? Why do they do it?

https://www.k-rend.co.uk/

For modern buildings I would assume block + render is cheaper than exterior quality bricklaying for the home builders. Applied right it's long lasting in modern timescales and repainting costs probably aren't a concern of the builders. In England, render is a price / decorative thing, I believe in Wales and particularly Scotland and Ireland, it is also regarded as more of a factor in improving weatherproofing against rain and frost. Old buildings are more my department so someone else may give a better answer.

• Cheers 1

Shamone
7 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

For modern buildings I would assume block + render is cheaper than exterior quality bricklaying for the home builders. Applied right it's long lasting in modern timescales and repainting costs probably aren't a concern of the builders. In England, render is a price / decorative thing, I believe in Wales and particularly Scotland and Ireland, it is also regarded as more of a factor in improving weatherproofing against rain and frost. Old buildings are more my department so someone else may give a better answer.

Many thanks for the help. I think I may stick to brick and block. Timber frame worries me too.

• Agree 1

Bricks getting problematic to source - friends were shown a selection board at local merchants and told elect what you like as long as it this one or that one, the ordered them and told next day that order couldn't be fulfilled as supply had just been bought up by national house builder. We're short of roof tiles, the handfuls we've sourced recently have been green, straight out of the oven and not properly cured, hence when delivered to merchants a large number to them already arriving pre-broken on delivery.

Through cost renders are OK, it should be cheaper than brick and block as block much more forgiving and quick to lay, we're having some done  here to cover simulated stone block which really doesn't work when set against natural stone. Luckily main build here  is already up with natural dressed stone and block (dense not thermal block). 

• Informative 1

This answered so many questions I have never asked before... 

About aircrete blocks cracking, and then rendering.. 

• Informative 1

17 hours ago, Herby said:

This answered so many questions I have never asked before... 

About aircrete blocks cracking, and then rendering.. 

Great, so you then go dot and dab for plaster to cover the expansion joints which I don't like either. As for load bearing wall, maybe technically OK but would't want that at all. Think I when I looked at thermal calcs thermal block vs concrete when you have  such think walls nowadays with air gap and 50mm say celotex then the difference is very small. raised it with building control guy and said basically makes no difference to menus what you want for thermal, just needs to be min dimensions upwards for wall /cav/insulation.

Nothing sticks well to these blocks, they are dusty and scuff off more dust even when cleaned. again, personally avoid inside and out and save a lot of potential headaches for not much gain. They are easy to carry around and cut/break mind, turns block laying into more like playing with lego in terms of effort.

Edited by onlyme

nirvana
On 11/07/2021 at 12:48, Shamone said:

What do you think of render?

initial thoughts, bollox! lol

reason: houses 'need to breath'.....I bought a house really cheap cos a lot of render was falling off and I've managed to 'bodge it' so it doesn't look too bad, mainly cos there is a lot of 'proper stone' underneath

I'd like to take all the render off but it would take me a month of sundays and sadly there are some 'breeze' on the corners and that's 'very porous' methinks.....I did think about applying some 'chemical waterproof' on that bit

I've got a Plan B now cos I've discovered it's like for nothing to build a house in Thailand AND they're a very friendly sort over there.......10 dorrar luv u rong time mistrar xD

Edited by nirvana

nirvana
On 11/07/2021 at 15:49, Shamone said:

Timber frame worries me too.

went blueberry picking the other day and when we went down to pay the house was very interesting looking and quite fancy! Mainly wood but they'd used metal girders for the exposed frame with a large balcony, car parking underneath and large staircase up to the first floor where most of the 'living' was being done

I liked it!

1 hour ago, nirvana said:

initial thoughts, bollox! lol

reason: houses 'need to breath'.....I bought a house really cheap cos a lot of render was falling off and I've managed to 'bodge it' so it doesn't look too bad, mainly cos there is a lot of 'proper stone' underneath

I'd like to take all the render off but it would take me a month of sundays and sadly there are some 'breeze' on the corners and that's 'very porous' methinks.....I did think about applying some 'chemical waterproof' on that bit

I've got a Plan B now cos I've discovered it's like for nothing to build a house in Thailand AND they're a very friendly sort over there.......10 dorrar luv u rong time mistrar xD

Lots of old houses the stonework/mortar was already borked and the render slapped on to try and fix it, so not surprising it often gets a bad rep. For a quick(ish) cheap(ish) build though it does have its uses.  You can transform a tired / boring looking 40/50 year old house, add aa room or two, knock the insides about and render the outside with a though coat and the result can be pretty  good.

• Cheers 1

On 11/07/2021 at 16:50, One percent said:

I think rudolf has been unfairly targeted. :)

Rudolph

He pulls Santa’s sleigh he’s not the Deputy Fuhrer FFS