DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Any ideas on how to grow bigger black currants?

humdrum

humdrum

I have several bushes about which I have done zilch, mostly because the currants are so small that by the time I have picked a bowl I would have died of old age. But I have reformed and decided to be a better man but I can't be one if the fruits are the size of a gnats testicles.

So any advice would be gratefully received

Stinky Wizzleteats

I inherited a Bush on my allotment. Didn't produce anything for 3 years then last winter pruned it back really hard and swore if I didn't get anything this year I would dig it up.

Must have heard me as I have just collected a pretty decent crop!

• Cheers 1

humdrum
5 hours ago, Stinky Wizzleteats said:

I inherited a Bush on my allotment. Didn't produce anything for 3 years then last winter pruned it back really hard and swore if I didn't get anything this year I would dig it up.

Must have heard me as I have just collected a pretty decent crop!

I think mine have definitely thrown a strop. I cut every other bush down to ground level every other year, which works fine for Ribena but not for me.

I think the bloody things hate me. Still, I am a forgiving sort. I will give them mega feeds of comfrey and if that doesn't work I will torch the bastards.

reformed nice guy

Its worth giving it a decent whack of well rotted manure in early spring, works for me

• Informative 1

humdrum
13 minutes ago, reformed nice guy said:

Its worth giving it a decent whack of well rotted manure in early spring, works for me

I suspect that I have been taking them for granted. Next February I will give them a decent feed of whatever compost I have available

reformed nice guy

Your not proper gardening until you are regularly pissing onto a compost pile

• Lol 2
  • Cheers 1

Kurt Barlow
On 12/07/2021 at 13:47, reformed nice guy said:

Even better - put your golden rain straight on the crop - diluted 10:1 of course. 

• Informative 1

Kurt Barlow
On 11/07/2021 at 14:14, humdrum said:

I have several bushes about which I have done zilch, mostly because the currants are so small that by the time I have picked a bowl I would have died of old age. But I have reformed and decided to be a better man but I can't be one if the fruits are the size of a gnats testicles.

So any advice would be gratefully received

wood ash is a good source of pottasium that helps fruits grow

• Informative 1

humdrum
1 minute ago, Kurt Barlow said:

wood ash is a good source of pottasium that helps fruits grow

Good point.

I suspect that I have been taking the bushes for granted and haven't really fed them for a bit. I usually chuck the wood ash on the compost heap, so this autumn I will prune hard and add a bucket of muck to each bush.

reformed nice guy
35 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Even better - put your golden rain straight on the crop - diluted 10:1 of course. 

I find it messy to hold the glass steady when filling it up

• Lol 1

On 12/07/2021 at 12:42, humdrum said:

I think mine have definitely thrown a strop. I cut every other bush down to ground level every other year, which works fine for Ribena but not for me.

I think the bloody things hate me. Still, I am a forgiving sort. I will give them mega feeds of comfrey and if that doesn't work I will torch the bastards.

Is it an issue with the particular variety that you have? Not all plants are created equal. 

Kurt Barlow
2 hours ago, reformed nice guy said:

I find it messy to hold the glass steady when filling it up

Large fabric conditioner bottles are your friend here;)

• Lol 1

sarahbell

Feed them. Ensure they have enough water when the berries form.

Net them to stop the fucking woodpigeons eating them,

2021-07-13 18.08.59.jpg

Prune off branches that have had currants.

Put them in a bucket of water and then plant them over winter. Have more plants.

• Informative 1

Kurt Barlow
1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Feed them. Ensure they have enough water when the berries form.

Net them to stop the fucking woodpigeons eating them,

2021-07-13 18.08.59.jpg

Put them in a bucket of water and then plant them over winter. Have more plants.

Air gun time soon on my plot

• Agree 1

Kurt Barlow
6 hours ago, humdrum said:

Good point.

I suspect that I have been taking the bushes for granted and haven't really fed them for a bit. I usually chuck the wood ash on the compost heap, so this autumn I will prune hard and add a bucket of muck to each bush.

Ive been picking up free / low cost bags of thistle multi finish plaster to help build up my plot which are raised beds. Its basically 50% sharp sand and 50% Calcium Sulphate. Yesterday I got 10 bags (1/4 tonne) for a fiver. I sprinkle it in layers over the plot with a large plant pot. It crumbs up nicely and everything is growing like a MOFO on whats basically cardboard, horse manure, straw, plaster and a bit of clay top soil. 

However I reckon all my plants have gone sulphur rich as I did fart last night after eating a load of swiss chard and  courgettes and smelt like an open gas tapxD

• Agree 1
  • Lol 3

humdrum
3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Ah, like blackberries?

I will give it a shot.

• Agree 1

humdrum
On 12/07/2021 at 13:47, reformed nice guy said:

I am a diabetic. I am regularly pissing on everything and down my trouser leg :)

humdrum
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, onlyme said:

Is it an issue with the particular variety that you have? Not all plants are created equal. 

No, I think that it is just idleness. Blackberries, gooseberries, raspberries, strawberries are fine. I can pick a bowl or two in minutes, but black currants seem to take forever. So I want them as big as possible to cut down on the labour.

To be honest, I am not that keen on black currants anyway, but Madam is and I like to keep in her good books.

Anyway, many thanks everyone for all the advice.

Edited by humdrum

38 minutes ago, humdrum said:

No, I think that it is just idleness. Blackberries, gooseberries, raspberries, strawberries are fine. I can pick a bowl or two in minutes, but black currants seem to take forever. So I want them as big as possible to cut down on the labour.

To be honest, I am not that keen on black currants anyway, but Madam is and I like to keep in her good books.

I've told this story before, a coach load of african women arrived from Birmingham area in full garb on one picking day, they came armed and ready with large woven round but flat baskets - more like pans. Their technique was to place these under the bushes and shake the bush like mad rather than picking. They then proceeded to remove all the leaves and then transfer the currants to a bucket for weighing. It was quite surprising, anything more than a few leaves and a bucket would be underweight and you'd be told to bugger off and sort it out. Quite a frustrating crop to pick as leaf and fruit stems all bunched together. 

• Informative 1

humdrum
12 hours ago, onlyme said:

I've told this story before, a coach load of african women arrived from Birmingham area in full garb on one picking day, they came armed and ready with large woven round but flat baskets - more like pans. Their technique was to place these under the bushes and shake the bush like mad rather than picking. They then proceeded to remove all the leaves and then transfer the currants to a bucket for weighing. It was quite surprising, anything more than a few leaves and a bucket would be underweight and you'd be told to bugger off and sort it out. Quite a frustrating crop to pick as leaf and fruit stems all bunched together. 

Now that is clever.

Should save a lot of fart arsing around.

Thanks

sarahbell
14 hours ago, humdrum said:

I picked mine this week from the garden. I have nets vaguely over the ones on the allotment but am expecting most of the fruit to be eaten by the bastard woodpigeons.
I've made enough jam for me for the next two years. Or enough to share with a limited few. I still have bags of it in the freezer from last year which I have not yet turned into jam.

I make jelly - straining the cooked blitzed fruit. Much nicer. 

I have gooseberries ready to pick but if I leave them til early next week they'll be even sweeter. 

• Agree 1

humdrum
1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

I picked mine this week from the garden. I have nets vaguely over the ones on the allotment but am expecting most of the fruit to be eaten by the bastard woodpigeons.
I've made enough jam for me for the next two years. Or enough to share with a limited few. I still have bags of it in the freezer from last year which I have not yet turned into jam.

I make jelly - straining the cooked blitzed fruit. Much nicer. 

I have gooseberries ready to pick but if I leave them til early next week they'll be even sweeter. 

Maybe I should dig out the old four ten. That way the pigeons can eat the blackcurrants and we can eat the pigeons :)

• Agree 1

sarahbell
On 14/07/2021 at 13:05, humdrum said:

Maybe I should dig out the old four ten. That way the pigeons can eat the blackcurrants and we can eat the pigeons :)

That'd be great. There's a flock of the fuckers nearly.