DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Face mask rules should be UK-wide - London mayor

humdrum

humdrum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-57832179

I blame Trump.

In moments of stress such as the number 328 bus turning up late, Saddo would roll around the floor and blame the Donald. But now  the ex President is now the ex President, Mayor Khan has chosen the policy guaranteed to piss off as many people as possible and with unequalled stupidity, decided to pursue it.

I want Boris back. Sadiq isn't fun anymore.

• Lol 1

Yadda yadda yadda

Dozy Khan. He is saying that Scotland, Wales and NI should give up their freedom to set their own rules. By extension he would have no power either. Where does this national imperative for uniform laws end?

He is also mayor of what is probably the area of the UK with the lowest support for masks. Including, noticeably, amongst TFL staff. Various reasons for this but the relatively young average age is a factor and it is probably a less risk-averse population. Low BBC consumption due to immigrants and age too.

I don't think he has legal powers to enforce masks beyond refusing entry. He hasn't the staff of budget for that.

Edited by Yadda yadda yadda

humdrum
1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Only for females?

I can't imagine Saddo oppressing the womenfolk. To be honest I can't imagine him doing much of anything, him being such a sad, wimpish sort of chap.

• Agree 1

Yadda yadda yadda
1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

In London no one can see you sneeze.

Almost sneezed in Sainsbury's yesterday. Would have set off mass panic.

• Lol 1

MrLibertyRedux
20 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Almost sneezed in Sainsbury's yesterday. Would have set off mass panic.

I did in Aldi back in the first lockdown house arrest and people were moving away from me and were visibly shaken!

• Lol 2

In general, don't trust politicians on anything that requires expert knowledge.  Not only do they not have that knowledge, they don't have the skills to interpret other's knowledge properly.

But politicians do have expert skills on being politicians.  This includes choosing options where it is harder for them to be called out over their choices, over superior options where if they're wrong it will be more obvious that they're wrong.

Note also, that politicians are often in the position to cherry-pick expert advice such that they only choose experts/advice that conforms to their prior policies and statements.

In particular, politicians should always be rigorously queried whenever they say either 'the important thing to do is keep on doing what we're doing' or, worse 'we need to do more of the same'.  Whenever they do/say something along these lines they should be asked to provide proof of their assertion from independent experts, and if proof isn't available, investigations should be undertaken to ensure that the lack of proof isn't caused by politicians (not necessarily the one in question -- they collude with one another even across party lines) limiting data collection.

In this instance there has now been plenty of time to gather evidence on the effectiveness of facemasks and of the value of the vaccines in reducing cases/hospitalisations/deaths.  If Khan can't provide robust scientific evidence that his policies are working then his statement of 'I am right -- everyone must carry one doing what I say' must be challenged.

Edited by dgul
  • Agree 10

Yadda yadda yadda
53 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

I did in Aldi back in the first lockdown house arrest and people were moving away from me and were visibly shaken!

Are you aware of any subsequent casualty reports? My thoughts are with the victims.

humdrum
2 hours ago, apples said:

Sadiq Khan should fuck off and die - @apples

I think he has. Or at least is in the process. Every time I see a photo or video of him I think, Saddo, you poor little sod, painful hemorrhoids can be cured.

London is a rich vibrant city and can't sort its problems out without any help from the mayor, which is just as well when you look at Khan.

humdrum
3 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

In London no one can see you sneeze.

Depends which end.

Before the Peking Pox I would get on the bus coughing and sneezing and farting along with half a hundred other members of Death's Army, all of whom were doing the same thing, and no one would know who was responsible.

Bus journeys used to be fun. But these days you cry Three Cheers For Methane Power! and everyone sighs and looks very sad because it is only you and the driver and he won't own up :(

Upsettah

The Baby Buggerers Corporation have been in pro-mask overdrive for the last week, at least.

Lots of "balanced" articles, like *this* little gem;

"What do Londoners think about mask-wearing rules on London Transport"?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57835999

Read it and weep. Not one, not a SINGLE libertarian point of view amongst those who were supposedly "interviewed". Three out of four, as far as I can tell, are employees of London Transport.

The Baby Buggerer's Corporation, our respected State Broadcaster - Impartial to its very core, eh? :PissedOff:

inactionman

As one of the members of the DOSBODS london contingent, I've just ordered a mask exempt lanyard, as a personal fuck you to the bus drivers son!

• Agree 1

Yadda yadda yadda
Just now, inactionman said:

As one of the members of the DOSBODS london contingent, I've just ordered a mask exempt lanyard, as a personal fuck you to the bus drivers son!

I don't use much public transport. When I do it will most likely be a southern train. Not controlled by Khan so presumably outside the rules.

• Agree 2

unregistered_guest

We all know the real reason why Sadie looks sad. It's just no-one has yet voiced it. He sees his destiny slipping away from his grasp; and there's nothing he can do about it.

He knows Keir Starmer will fail. It's baked into the political process. By rights, the posts of leader of the Labour Party, and then Prime Minister should be his for the asking once that happens. Who else, other than the Mayor of the nation's capital, would have the same high media profile amongst voters?

And that's where it has gone wrong. Under Covid, there have been far fewer mass events for him to be seen at. And now these johnny-come-lately provincial mayors, like Andy Burnham, are stealing headlines that should be his!

What can he do to remind people that he's here?

It's obvious. Demand that everyone in the regions recognises the primacy of London.

Edited by unregistered_guest
  • Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Yadda yadda yadda
7 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

We all know the real reason why Sadie looks sad. It's just no-one has yet voiced it. He sees his destiny slipping away from his grasp; and there's nothing he can do about it.

He knows Keir Starmer will fail. It's baked into the political process. By rights, the posts of leader of the Labour Party, and then Prime Minister should be his for the asking once that happens. Who else, other than the Mayor of the nation's capital, would have the same high media profile amongst voters?

And that's where it has gone wrong. Under Covid, there have been far fewer mass events for him to be seen at. And now these johnny-come-lately provincial mayors, like Andy Burnham, are stealing headlines that should be his!

What can he do to remind people that he's here?

It's obvious. Demand that everyone in the regions recognises the primacy of London.

He is hated within London let alone without. Lots of labour voters would rather have an alternative. They liked Livingstone who at least had charisma and relatable ambitions for London rather than purely himself.

I see he blamed the disorder all over London on Sunday on "hooligans from outside London". It is true that the emblem of the day, arse flare man, is from Sunbury on Thames and thus technically outside London. However, I'm sure plenty of the miscreants were London voters. If the pubs had been open properly there wouldn't have been tens of thousands drinking on Wembley Way providing cover. Many of those in Leicester Square would have gone to pubs too.

That is just an example of him stoking division, this time between London and the rest of England.

Khan is yesterday's man and should retire as soon as possible. Surely he realises this?

Wight Flight
24 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

And that's where it has gone wrong. Under Covid, there have been far fewer mass events for him to be seen at.

Perhaps he could try going on some radio show other than James OB?

I don't think I have heard him speak in years.

As far as I am concerned, he is some mythical bloke that people speak of.

• Agree 1

Hail the Tripod
14 hours ago, Upsettah said:

The Baby Buggerers Corporation have been in pro-mask overdrive for the last week, at least.

Lots of "balanced" articles, like *this* little gem;

"What do Londoners think about mask-wearing rules on London Transport"?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57835999

Read it and weep. Not one, not a SINGLE libertarian point of view amongst those who were supposedly "interviewed". Three out of four, as far as I can tell, are employees of London Transport.

The Baby Buggerer's Corporation, our respected State Broadcaster - Impartial to its very core, eh? :PissedOff:

They quite often do vox pops outside Farringdon station, as I’m walking past on my way home from the office. They’ve stopped me a couple of times and I have just said, “My opinion is x you’ll never air it.”

They just say “Yeah, never mind.”

They literally do dozens and pick the three that “best” represent the bounds of the  Overton window.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Upsettah
12 minutes ago, eight said:

This phenomenon is discussed/dismissed here.

My loathing of Rentoul is compounded and amplified. Revolting little lickspittle.

• Agree 1

Yadda yadda yadda
21 minutes ago, eight said:

This phenomenon is discussed/dismissed here.

How can the chief political correspondent of the independent consider themselves a centrist?