• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Uptherebels

Collections

Just wondering if many, or any, of you lot have a collection? 

I don't, but somehow wish I did. I don't know. Thimbles, lighters, coins, medals, guitars, lawnmowers! 

Would need to be something small for me. I'm not interested in it making a profit one day. I don't know why I'm interested to be honest. 

Anyone have cupboards full of beer mats, teapots, or cigarette cases?? 

1 hour ago, NTB said:

I'm not really a collector but I have a large amount of tools and LP records plus large stocks of stuff I'm never going to use again.

You are my alter ego, except swap CD's for LPs.

Edited by onlyme

9 hours ago, NTB said:

I'm not really a collector but I have a large amount of tools and LP records plus large stocks of stuff I'm never going to use again.

Tools....... I've got 2 screwdrivers, and that's it. I'm not even sure where they are. 

13 hours ago, Uptherebels said:

Tools....... I've got 2 screwdrivers, and that's it. I'm not even sure where they are. 

If I've got less than two hundred screwdrivers then I'd need to get a more robust screwdriver procurement programme implemented.

I collect vehicles of all types, storage is a la the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark but with vehicles. I also seem to collect lorry trailers in huge numbers but that's kind of accidental because they are always going so cheap it seems silly not to have them.

Edited by SNACR

38 minutes ago, SNACR said:

If I've got less than two hundred screwdrivers then I'd need to get a more robust screwdriver procurement programme implemented.

I collect vehicles of all types, storage is a la the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark but with vehicles. I also seem to collect lorry trailers in huge numbers but that's kind of accidental because they are always going so cheap it seems silly not to have them.

What about the units to pull the trailers? 

18 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

What about the units to pull the trailers? 

Access to loads of fleet spec units I can use but have some more exotic Chris Eubank affairs, included under the 'vehicles' heading, problem is with bonneted ones they go over permitted length with the standard 13.6m trailers in this country.

Just counted over a hundred screwdrivers in the racks down one side of a tool chest so probably no urgent need to panic buy more. Although, by coincidence, have just opened the post and been giving these, that arrived today, a thorough fondle and assessment of usefulness before adding them to the pile:

IMG_1079.thumb.JPG.e452b1074b966f73fc7469c5d0fd30c8.JPG

Edited by SNACR

14 hours ago, SNACR said:

Al least you've got lorries to carry them all around in.:)  My primary toolbox got so heavy I had to go through it and ruthlessly remove anything that was remotely a duplicate in function.

2 hours ago, NTB said:

Al least you've got lorries to carry them all around in.:)  My primary toolbox got so heavy I had to go through it and ruthlessly remove anything that was remotely a duplicate in function.

Does NTB stand for new tool box? 

No Trans Bollox
Newts, Termites, Beetles
Not the So-Called BBC
Next Tranche of Bullshit

It's actually related to TOS and something I was hoping for when I joined.

Records for me, too - about 850, I think. One side of the living room is full of them.

Never did "do" digital so I don't have a player and only about 40 CDs. I listen to digital with some new piece of tech called MQA occasionally but that's via streaming so you "collect" nothing.

In a twist of irony, the other thing that I have a collection of, is Doctor Who VHS videos. I have, or at that time, had, every single one and they're all in a very big box in the shed.

But we don't have a VHS player any more.

On 9/14/2017 at 14:24, Frank Hovis said:

I still have my boyhood collections (stamps, army badges, coins, medals) but I haven't added to them, other than trivially, since I started work.

I had to get rid of my boyhood collection a few years ago as they are now frowned upon and outright illegal (well they were when i was a boy )...many found memories of the acquisition of every single one of them :CryBaby:

On 14/09/2017 at 14:24, Frank Hovis said:

I still have my boyhood collections (stamps, army badges, coins, medals) but I haven't added to them, other than trivially, since I started work.

Yes, I still have stamps, coin collection, from boyhood. Though I was always convinced that they'd be worth a fortune one day! Also have those football sticker albums complete from 67-68, up to 74-75. 

If I start a collection now, it needs to be something small. Maybe £50 notes :)

5 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I had to get rid of my boyhood collection a few years ago as they are now frowned upon and outright illegal (well they were when i was a boy )...many found memories of the acquisition of every single one of them :CryBaby:

Rhino horns? 

I've got a fair few games consoles in the attic. Never play any of them, but nor can I bring myself to sell them, even though some are finally going up in value now.

I have a large (over 700 sets) collection of MISB (Mint In Sealed Box) LEGO sets; mainly from the 80's and '90s but some recent. They're stored all over the house.

I think the digital age has put the kibosh on collecting as a hobby really. 

A vast amount of the enjoyment was from the discovery, the hours spent rummaging through a box in an antique shop etc. You would need to know your onions in the first place and be a dedicated collector to separate the wheat from the chaff. Now it's a two second search on google and all the information is to hand, long gone are the days of charity shops having hidden gems waiting to be found (for the most part at least). 

You see the word "rare" on ebay all the time to describe items, but in almost all cases they are nothing of the sort. However in the past they might well have been given the effort needed to find them out in the wild. 

I've always liked the idea of collecting medals, but in all honesty they would sit in a box and get looked at only occasionally so I've never started.