DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Fuel tank removal

nirvana

Question

nirvana

I know this is something of a 'pro job' BUT I've had a pro around who took some metal away then never bothered coming back for this despite a few reminders

OK so it's a 'heating fuel tank' mostly empty but there is a few inches in the bottom still

It's 2.5meter deep, 1 meter high, 80cm across, the hole in the top is 40cm round

I'm thinking now I might try and drag it out with a car, tip it over to get rid of the remaining fuel, yes I know it's not a great idea to let that seep in the ground but it's a big drive lol

Then I can chop it up into smaller bits with an angle grinder

Another option, I could try and burn off the remaining fuel, will it explode? To be honest I'm not too bothered if it does 'explode', it might weaken the metal lol

I'll only use the match once it's dragged away from the house xD

Seriously though, will it cause an explosion or will it just 'burn fiercely'?

IMG_20210716_130706.jpg

8 answers to this question

Chewing Grass
2 minutes ago, nirvana said:

I know this is something of a 'pro job' BUT I've had a pro around who took some metal away then never bothered coming back for this despite a few reminders

OK so it's a 'heating fuel tank' mostly empty but there is a few inches in the bottom still

It's 2.5meter deep, 1 meter high, 80cm across, the hole in the top is 40cm round

I'm thinking now I might try and drag it out with a car, tip it over to get rid of the remaining fuel, yes I know it's not a great idea to let that seep in the ground but it's a big drive lol

Then I can chop it up into smaller bits with an angle grinder

Another option, I could try and burn off the remaining fuel, will it explode? To be honest I'm not too bothered if it does 'explode', it might weaken the metal lol

I'll only use the match once it's dragged away from the house xD

Seriously though, will it cause an explosion or will it just 'burn fiercely'?

IMG_20210716_130706.jpg

If you have a diesel car pass the fuel you drain off through a funnel lined with kitchen paper and then add a gallon at a time to your tank and burn it off.

• Cheers 1

nirvana
1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

If you have a diesel car pass the fuel you drain off through a funnel lined with kitchen paper and then add a gallon at a time to your tank and burn it off.

no I don't, don't really believe in diesels anymore lol

I'm struggling to get the remaining fuel out of the bottom with the 'hand pump', I've actually been dumping it in a hole at the bottom of the garden, the previous owner liked to do strange things with 'lots of cement'

I think he used it as some sort of 'drainage' for his fish pond

I sort of want to throw a match down the hole and see what happens lol I think i might have been a pyromaniac in a previous life and it's just starting to come to the surface haha

nirvana

I've had another idea, what's the technical term for that 'thick cotton strap' that they use to secure or lift things with?

probs 'thick cotton strap' lol

Loop some of that around the top and get one of 'neighbourly cunts' with a tractor to drag it out....

Then it can be angled on some metal and remove the rest of the fuel....

I'll chuck a match in it when there's not much fuel left for 'shits n giggles' and obviously to burn off the remaining fuel before the angle grinder goes into action. Nice knowing you all :)

Come-along would drag that out no dramas. Channel your inner ancient Egyptian and jack it up and put a wooden roller under if it’s stubborn. 
Drill a hole in the bottom and drain it into plastic Jerry cans and pour into the waste oil tank at the tip.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Libspero

If you really can’t get it out and have no way to winch it,  you could (counterintuitively) fill it instead.  

Water is heavier than fuel so let it push the diesel to the top then draw it off from there (either with a hole or your pump again).   Put a bit of detergent in the water to help remove residues.

Then hole in the bottom to drain the water (or just start angle grinding it)..   then you’re good to go.

This isn’t any approved method,  just what I would do.  Obviously,  when you drain the tank you’ll have water everywhere.  If you can’t have that you’ll need to pump the whole lot out.

• Cheers 1

nirvana
9 hours ago, SNACR said:

Come-along would drag that out no dramas

ah yes I did think of one of them, thanks for the technical term! How do you anchor the other end if you haven't got a tree close enough?