DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Not even the rats..

humdrum

humdrum

I was at my allotment today and put out some food for the wildlife, whereupon a rat walked up, sneered and walked on.

Not even the vermin will eat ASDA home brand dog food :(

• Lol 5

sarahbell
16 hours ago, humdrum said:

I was at my allotment today and put out some food for the wildlife, whereupon a rat walked up, sneered and walked on.

Not even the vermin will eat ASDA home brand dog food :(

Probably because there's something better somewhere else. Or it's shy.

humdrum
4 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Probably because there's something better somewhere else. Or it's shy.

True enough. The first part anyway. My neighbour feeds the wildlife on roast chicken, which I don't like to do for fear of the bones getting stuck in the animals throats. Even so, there is no need for the rats to be so bloody snobbish about their rations.

Better idea would be to let the wildlife do what it’s done best for millennia, fending for itself in the wild hence wildlife, and stop encouraging vermin.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

Rats are always suspicious of unknown food. Could have been prime beef steak and it would have moved on if it wasn't that hungry. Even if hungry, it would have eaten a very small amount first and waited to see if there were any ill effects.

• Informative 4

7 hours ago, SNACR said:

Better idea would be to let the wildlife do what it’s done best for millennia, fending for itself in the wild hence wildlife, and stop encouraging vermin.

My mum feeds the birds every day and wonders why she has a rat infestation in her garden.

Feeding the birds animal suet/fat surely can't be good for them anyway if they're vegetarian, that's one I never understood.

OP, rats like all rodents tend to eat seeds and grain. If there's a big box of grass seed lying about, they'd much rather eat that, than dog food.

(assuming you are really feeding them that!) xD

humdrum
7 hours ago, spunko said:

My mum feeds the birds every day and wonders why she has a rat infestation in her garden.

Feeding the birds animal suet/fat surely can't be good for them anyway if they're vegetarian, that's one I never understood.

OP, rats like all rodents tend to eat seeds and grain. If there's a big box of grass seed lying about, they'd much rather eat that, than dog food.

I am always surprised at what the wildlife does eat.

I was watching a parakeet in an apple tree today and it was tucking into the green fruit. It must have had a stomach of solid brass because it munched away happily for a good half hour.

How is the tooth?

sarahbell
On 19/07/2021 at 14:42, spunko said:

They shouldn't need feeding in summer

humdrum
1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

They shouldn't need feeding in summer

Why not?

I do and if friends turn up I reckon that it is only good manners to offer them a drink and a bite to eat.

Just had a phone consultation with my doctor and he said that my sugar level was worrying him. I replied that I don't eat sugar, smoke or drink alcohol, spent as much time as possible pottering on my allotment and can't think of much else that I can do or give up. The way I looked at it, I went on, it was now down to him and the miracles of modern science.

There was a bit of a pause and he told me to call into the surgery this afternoon whereupon he will probably prescribe powdered leeches.

Not a bad bloke my quack, but he does need the occasional kick up the arse.