DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Ereader - Kindle or something else

Mapper

Does anybody use one?

I have been given thousands of ebook files (epub) and thought it was about time I started reading some of them.

A quick look into recommended ereaders and it seems to be Kindle dominated. But, it looks like you get locked into that world, similar to the way you get trapped into Apple products with an iPhone.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

One percent
8 minutes ago, Mapper said:

Does anybody use one?

I have been given thousands of ebook files (epub) and thought it was about time I started reading some of them.

A quick look into recommended ereaders and it seems to be Kindle dominated. But, it looks like you get locked into that world, similar to the way you get trapped into Apple products with an iPhone.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

I’ve got the paperwhite. Love it. I pay 8 quid for kindle unlimited and have access to loads of books. Of varying quality but some really good. 

ive not transferred books but you can with this software that converts to the correct format for kindle. 

https://calibre-ebook.com

if in the right format already then just email to your kindle email address. 

paperwhite is currently on offer at a bargain price of 84 quid 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Kindles are about the best option if you don't read a lot of pdf books and are equally just about the only option left if that is what you want.

I've had them for years and could not live without it (ensure you got one with a backlight you can continue with the lights out after the Mrs has gone to bed)

Attached to the recommendation of calibre I would also mention mobilism.org were you want to want books from "other sources". Just load into calibre and send the book to the kindle

Also don't pay the £10 extra to remove the adverts on the kindle, you can do that via customer service afterwards for free by saying you've bought it for a child 

Edited by eek
  • Informative 3

One percent
1 hour ago, eek said:

Kindles are about the best option if you don't read a lot of pdf books and are equally just about the only option left if that is what you want.

I've had them for years and could not live without it (ensure you got one with a backlight you can continue with the lights out after the Mrs has gone to bed)

Attached to the recommendation of calibre I would also mention mobilism.org were you want to want books from "other sources". Just load into calibre and send the book to the kindle

Also don't pay the £10 extra to remove the adverts on the kindle, you can do that via customer service afterwards for free by saying you've bought it for a child 

I bloody paid the tenner 

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis

It's maybe not particularly helpful advice but I had one and didn't get on with at all; my main problem being how few words there were on the screen at any one time which, as a very fast reader, I found very frustrating and it took away my enjoyment from reading.

I felt like I was in one of those Slow Talkers of America sketches; albeit a silent version.

Three minutes audio.

I don't know why they keep blocking embeds.

Kindle is all about the ecosystem.  It really is rather good, but if you don't want that bit there's not that much in it.

But because Amazon have owned the market there's a lot more around and that seems to have suppressed used values.

I'd suggest buying an older one second hand and seeing how you get on.  Cex has Kindle III for £12 -- I liked the III ('keyboard') as the page turn buttons are in the right place, etc.  The more recent Kindles are better, but the originals were very good (which is why they caught on in the first place).

• Informative 1

reformed nice guy

See if anyone you know has a spare tablet that they dont use. Lots of people get a new one and leave the old one in a drawer. Even if its an old model, just delete all the other apps and it will open ebooks just fine.

I use "eReader Prestigio" which you can get free from the Google Play store and opens most formats.

You can then download an app called "AirDroid" which lets you transfer the ebooks from your PC to the tablet.

You can then read them using ereader with the wifi off and never see an advert.

For all these people talking about using tablets - they have their place but blue light does mean they will keep you from sleeping at night.

Reason no 1 for me having a kindle separate to my ipad is reading before I go to bed so my brain switches off. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Harley said:

I just bought a small Android tablet.  I run Kindle on it.

This seems like an option. Is it the same experience? So, Kindle is software, as I thought it was all built into a piece of hardware?

2 minutes ago, reformed nice guy said:

See if anyone you know has a spare tablet that they dont use. Lots of people get a new one and leave the old one in a drawer. Even if its an old model, just delete all the other apps and it will open ebooks just fine.

I use "eReader Prestigio" which you can get free from the Google Play store and opens most formats.

You can then download an app called "AirDroid" which lets you transfer the ebooks from your PC to the tablet.

You can then read them using ereader with the wifi off and never see an advert.

Was going to ask but immediately...

1 minute ago, eek said:

For all these people talking about using tablets - they have their place but blue light does mean they will keep you from sleeping at night.

Reason no 1 for me having a kindle separate to my ipad is reading before I go to bed so my brain switches off. 

This is what I was wondering.

The point of an ereader (a point) is that you don't fry your brain with blue light, right?

• Agree 1

Just now, Mapper said:

This seems like an option. Is it the same experience? So, Kindle is software, as I thought it was all built into a piece of hardware?

Kindle is as much an eco system as a piece of hardware. There is software that runs on a tablet, laptop or even a phone that will format the document appropriately (for the device) and give you access to the kindle ecosystem's backend delivery system.

Just now, Mapper said:

Was going to ask but immediately...

This is what I was wondering.

The point of an ereader (a point) is that you don't fry your brain with blue light, right?

Yep my main reasons for using a kindle are

its lightweight (compared to a table)

it's more comfortable to use (not too big but screen is same / bigger than a mass market paperback)

no blue light from an lcd screen so I can and do fall asleep while reading.

• Cheers 1

reformed nice guy
53 minutes ago, eek said:

Yep my main reasons for using a kindle are

its lightweight (compared to a table)

it's more comfortable to use (not too big but screen is same / bigger than a mass market paperback)

no blue light from an lcd screen so I can and do fall asleep while reading.

This is true.

The one I use, an old samsung, has a blue light filter that makes every orange tinted, just like redshift or the similar desktop programs. I even use a pair of yellow tinted glasses I got off aliexpress for a pound. Whether it works is another matter.

Stinky Wizzleteats

I've got an ancient e ink kindle without the keyboard (in my experience a keyboard is practically useless).

I buy very few books, just download stuff from project Gutenberg etc and email it

5 hours ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

I have a kobo, so not a Kindle and it's pretty decent

A contender appears.

Anagram of book. That has cheered me up for some reason.

• Agree 1

Libspero

I have a kindle paperwhite.

Never use it..  just an android tablet for viewing PDFs and documents.

But that’s just me.  Somehow looking at a kindle is a poor substitute for a real book,  so might as well just use the regular tablet with the better size screen.

• Agree 1