• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Pathetically small levels of funding for government initiatives

A few weeks ago we had the £40m fund announced to help coastal communities and now we have

<pause for fanfare>

£3m for low carbon initiatives.

£3m?

1-million-pounds.jpg

Brext bill: £40bn  this is 0.01% of that

Foreign aid: £12bn  this is 0.03% of that

HS2: £32bn  This is 0.01% of that

Absolutely ridiculous.  They may as well announce that they couldn't give a stuff and as a consequence will be funding it with 10p they found down the back of the sofa.

My apologies for the guardian link.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/13/uk-cities-expected-millions-pounds-green-energy-projects

I ran a project a few years ago.  The funding for it was around 3/4 of a million a year for three years.  It sounded a lot.  Until we took out the wage bill, the overheards, office space and equipment.  It really does not go far at all when trying to do something.  It sounds a lot as on an individual level, if one of us were to be handed 3 million, then we could live very well on it without having to resort to working

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

I ran a project a few years ago.  The funding for it was around 3/4 of a million a year for three years.  It sounded a lot.  Until we took out the wage bill, the overheards, office space and equipment.  It really does not go far at all when trying to do something.  It sounds a lot as on an individual level, if one of us were to be handed 3 million, then we could live very well on it without having to resort to working

I've seen this; it's not like you're wasting money but certain things are expensive to do.

I'm always astounded by the figures quoted for say, a new level crossing which always seems to start at >£1m.  But having experience in a similar area you need all the impact assessments and consultant reports to get through planning and the you may need to change it and do it all again if you don't get through and then finally you get to build the thing.  It's a long, slow money eating process.

I was involved in a social initiative outside of work (sports thing) where I was doing the finances and planning.  We went for (but didn't get, timing was wrong) a £250k grant,  That sounds huge but if you're trying to do things properly with a paid administrator, CRB checks on the paid part time staff (the plan was take it into schools), van to transport everything, rented office space, computer, software etc. then with absolutely no padding that money was soon going to go unless income streams could be accelerated.

Whereas a £250k winnings would sort most of us out for several years.

With this knowledge, and knowing that several Housing Associations have individually invested >£10m, I see the £3m for what it is and what it is going to achieve: nothing.

10 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I've seen this; it's not like you're wasting money but certain things are expensive to do.

I'm always astounded by the figures quoted for say, a new level crossing which always seems to start at >£1m.  But having experience in a similar area you need all the impact assessments and consultant reports to get through planning and the you may need to change it and do it all again if you don't get through and then finally you get to build the thing.  It's a long, slow money eating process.

I was involved in a social initiative outside of work (sports thing) where I was doing the finances and planning.  We went for (but didn't get, timing was wrong) a £250k grant,  That sounds huge but if you're trying to do things properly with a paid administrator, CRB checks on the paid part time staff (the plan was take it into schools), van to transport everything, rented office space, computer, software etc. then with absolutely no padding that money was soon going to go unless income streams could be accelerated.

Whereas a £250k winnings would sort most of us out for several years.

With this knowledge, and knowing that several Housing Associations have individually invested >£10m, I see the £3m for what it is and what it is going to achieve: nothing.

It's simply so they can say they are doing something. You know that, I know that, but to people who don't know the cost of doing work and to whom 3 million would feel a fortune as a lottery win, it satisfies them.

Having said that, it will most likely be dished out as matched funding so it will go further than 3 million.

And the fact that it is only 3 million for a topic that is important and would reap rewards, shows how broke the country is at the moment.

Edited by Hopeful

6 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

3m isn't a lot unless you spend it very well.

Which they won't.

Governments and councils these days bang on about "seeding" and "pump-priming" and claim that this all will have a multiplier effect so that this £3m will have the same effect as £300m once all the voluntary activity it generates is taken into account.

Absolute nonsense of course but it keeps the bills down.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Which they won't.

Governments and councils these days bang on about "seeding" and "pump-priming" and claim that this all will have a multiplier effect so that this £3m will have the same effect as £300m once all the voluntary activity it generates is taken into account.

Absolute nonsense of course but it keeps the bills down.

Divide it up amongst small voluntary groups and it can make a huge difference. Of course the dividing the cake up costs at least half the cake.

11 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Frank! You missed a chance to virtue signal about the "racist DUP and their £1bn bribe" (TM).

Thankfully, it's the 2nd most-voted comment on that Guardian link. I can rest easy now.

Something, something, Rupert Murdoch.

Only a bribe if it is paid, so far the DUP have got feck all