• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
UmBongo

Forty

6 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

I am 40 years old today! :o

Is it true what they say about life getting better after 40? :)

Cheers everyone! :Beer: Here's to the next 40 years.

Happy birthday 

hated turning 30 , had a ball since I've since turning 40 

Thanks for the comments so far. :)

I didn't feel too bad at 29 or 30. On my 30th I remember taking a drive to Lowestoft heading back to Norwich and the Jeremy Vine show reporting on Northern Rock.

15 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Happy birthday!!

I would say yes, my life has improved since I was 40, it's been less than five years but already its better.

Hope you have a good day and the next 40 (or 80) years go well for you.

:Beer:

ps I take it someone has given you the chat? Make sure you don't miss this one, if you were surprised by Santa not being real you will be shocked by the 40 chat!

6 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

ps I take it someone has given you the chat? Make sure you don't miss this one, if you were surprised by Santa not being real you will be shocked by the 40 chat!

No, I haven't got a clue what that entails. o.O

1 minute ago, Uptherebels said:

I think on my 40th, I just spent the usual 12 hrs at work. Same with my 50th, and 21st come to think of it. 

Guess I just don't do birthdays! 

Since 2006 I have always insisted on booking my birthday off, on the week that it falls on. Quite handy timing as the kids have gone back to school. B|

Thanks again!

I was also 40 this week and five days on can confirm nothing untoward happened so you have nothing (negative at least) to look forward too :D, as I'm a few days ahead of you please feel free to ask me at anytime in the future what it is like to be Umbongo+5. 

I'm still fitter than most people twice my age and wish you a very, very merry and happy birthday.

3 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Since 2006 I have always insisted on booking my birthday off, on the week that it falls on. Quite handy timing as the kids have gone back to school. B|

Thanks again!

As life milestones go, having kids renders renders age markers irrelevant. Becoming an adult yourself at 18 is a significant inflection point, as is having your first kid; an age tally of 40 years indicates less than fuck all about how your life is likely to change going forward.

7 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Someone will pull you aside over the next ten days to give you all the details. It's useful information to have and will serve you well if you put it to good use.

:ph34r:

Happy birthday!

I turned 40 in July. Things are the same. Although I haven't had 'the chat', sounds intriguing. My dad did mention that the years between 40 and 60 went much faster than the rest of his life.

52 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

I turned 50 yesterday.

The forties weren't that great to be honest.

Hoping the fifties will be better.

40 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

Happy birthday UmBongo! 

I think on my 40th, I just spent the usual 12 hrs at work. Same with my 50th, and 21st come to think of it. 

Guess I just don't do birthdays! 

Exactly the same here. Bah Humbug.

27 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

As life milestones go, having kids renders renders age markers irrelevant. Becoming an adult yourself at 18 is a significant inflection point, as is having your first kid; an age tally of 40 years indicates less than fuck all about how your life is likely to change going forward.

I think this is a key point. My kids were at their most expensive throughout my forties and it was a struggle. With them leaving next year I am hoping to have a few pennies left over for myself. 

28 minutes ago, Reebo said:

I can't wait for my eleventy first birthday, so I can go and live at Rivendell.

You can be my neighbour, and see a disused Elvish fridge in my garden.

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

I turned 50 yesterday.

The forties weren't that great to be honest.

Hoping the fifties will be better.

When I turned 50 I started getting a lot more interest from younger women! Something I never got when I was their age. Bizarre. I mean even women in their early 20s chatting me up.

But my actual physical capacity to do something about it began to diminish.

Bit like losing hair on your head but growing it everywhere else.

Edited by davidg

5 minutes ago, davidg said:

When I turned 50 I started getting a lot more interest from younger women! Something I never got when I was their age. Bizarre. I mean even women in their early 20s chatting me up.

But my actual physical capacity to do something about it began to diminish.

Bit like losing hair on your head but growing it everywhere else.

Did you have trust fund released on your 50th birthday?

1 hour ago, longtomsilver said:

I was also 40 this week and five days on can confirm nothing untoward happened so you have nothing (negative at least) to look forward too :D, as I'm a few days ahead of you please feel free to ask me at anytime in the future what it is like to be Umbongo+5. 

I'm still fitter than most people twice my age and wish you a very, very merry and happy birthday.

I should hope so too!

Many happy returns all. Trying to plan something cheap and cheerful for my daughter's first next week.