• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

People are just too ..........

Frustrated.
We were asked by tree surgeons to remove some bees from a tree they have felled. So we said we'd bring a bee suit for the man with the chain saw and we'd be on hand to remove the bees. So anyway phone call saying tree is cut up and the bees are ours to collect.
It's pissed it down today - properly, several times. 
So chances are by the time we get there there will be lots of very wet dead bees everywhere and any chance of rescuing comb with brood in will be gone. Brood is stenothermic so will have died. 
Ah well. 

8 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

nice hobby, I've always fancied keeping bees.

do you get much honey from a hive?

The way to make a small fortune in beekeeping is to start with a large one.

Not much honey this year at all. We haven't had a spring crop here for two years. I'd have to get my book out to say how much honey. 5 buckets full. Had a hive that's done nothing though - although a check yesterday showed it has now got a laying queen in! 
It is addictive and very interesting. 
Find someone to mentor you - and join a local group (some are shockingly awful though) for the insurance.
Expect it to take an hour of time a week during the season and about 5 hours a day thinking about them. 

30 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Frustrated.
We were asked by tree surgeons to remove some bees from a tree they have felled. So we said we'd bring a bee suit for the man with the chain saw and we'd be on hand to remove the bees. So anyway phone call saying tree is cut up and the bees are ours to collect.
It's pissed it down today - properly, several times. 
So chances are by the time we get there there will be lots of very wet dead bees everywhere and any chance of rescuing comb with brood in will be gone. Brood is stenothermic so will have died. 
Ah well. 

Idiots racing to get the job done, shame they weren't stung.

Shame for the bees too.

And and what's worse is we drive over there - it's not close either - and get there to find that yes they have cut a bit of the tree but not enough. So still can't get the bees. 

Got lots of people looking from the traffic jam next to us though! Waved at loads. :)

Will be there tomorrow assuming the tree surgeon will come and cut some more. 

12 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

And and what's worse is we drive over there - it's not close either - and get there to find that yes they have cut a bit of the tree but not enough. So still can't get the bees. 

Got lots of people looking from the traffic jam next to us though! Waved at loads. :)

Will be there tomorrow assuming the tree surgeon will come and cut some more. 

FFS! Bill them extra!

For beeing annoying and causing you two trips.

Just now, Carl Fimble said:

FFS! Bill them extra!

For beeing annoying and causing you two trips.

LOL
Well we were doing it for nothing but I think billing them is a good idea. They are being paid a lot by the place to cut these trees down. 

23 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

LOL
Well we were doing it for nothing but I think billing them is a good idea. They are being paid a lot by the place to cut these trees down. 

I beelieve you should charge them.

sorry...

Just now, One percent said:

Ill bumble away then

God, this has to be a new low... Anyone thinking my recent posts were not sitting right with them must be wanting me to go back to my ranting after these last few posts!

I apologise.

2 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

God, this has to be a new low... Anyone thinking my recent posts were not sitting right with them must be wanting me to go back to my ranting after these last few posts!

I apologise.

Dunno honey, we all think you are sweet. 

What's the insurance for?

I think it is interesting that Council charge a hefty rate to come around and get rid of wasps but if there are bees causing a nuisance then they pass it on to local bee-keepers who enthusiastically turn up and do the job for free.

I think bee-keepers need to get their act together.

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

What's the insurance for?

I think it is interesting that Council charge a hefty rate to come around and get rid of wasps but if there are bees causing a nuisance then they pass it on to local bee-keepers who enthusiastically turn up and do the job for free.

I think bee-keepers need to get their act together.

Gives your 3rd party liability and product liability. For in case bees sting someone. 

Pest control shouldn't touch honey bees. Some keep bees and so just take them home.

We void our insurance if we charge for collecting a swarm - we can ask expenses though.

This isn't a swarm - so we could probably charge but would need our own insurance. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Don't forget though, we are on a bee theme B|

I can't beelieve I am playing along with this. I should really stop droning on about it I know. 

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Or am I just droning on now?

Gah, you got there just beefore me!