DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Any rose experts here?

Fully Detached

Fully Detached

Took a cutting off a rose plant from our old garden last September. It's had a bit of a difficult time of it but started to really put on some new leaf growth earlier in the summer. However, it got attacked by sawflies and their larvae have done a bit of damage to a lot of the older growth (which started before last winter) and some of the new growth frrm this year. Generally speaking it just doesn't look very happy, and I am wondering about spraying it with Rose Clear to try to get rid of any pests and maybe some diseases.

Is a (almost) 1 year old cutting safe to spray with Rose Clear?

The Grey Man
1 hour ago, Fully Detached said:

Took a cutting off a rose plant from our old garden last September. It's had a bit of a difficult time of it but started to really put on some new leaf growth earlier in the summer. However, it got attacked by sawflies and their larvae have done a bit of damage to a lot of the older growth (which started before last winter) and some of the new growth frrm this year. Generally speaking it just doesn't look very happy, and I am wondering about spraying it with Rose Clear to try to get rid of any pests and maybe some diseases.

Is a (almost) 1 year old cutting safe to spray with Rose Clear?

I had a really bad attack of rose sawfly last year. I used spray successfully. Noted that I thnk I did not get all the beasties and sprayed again some days later. Masses of them. Amazed how much and quick they ate. One of the few times I resort to the chemical gun. Each to.their own but havent looked after the plant to.feed saw fly grubs.

• Informative 1

Fully Detached
1 minute ago, The Grey Man said:

I had a really bad attack of rose sawfly last year. I used spray successfully. Noted that I thnk I did not get all the beasties and sprayed again some days later. Masses of them. Amazed how much and quick they ate. One of the few times I resort to the chemical gun. Each to.their own but havent looked after the plant to.feed saw fly grubs.

Thanks - I've been picking them off until now but just looking at the plant generally I think it needs a bit of help. The sawfly grubs are total bastards - they've hit all our roses but the established ones can withstand it, my little cutting can't really afford to lose any more leaves to them.

• Informative 1

The Grey Man
1 hour ago, Fully Detached said:

Thanks - I've been picking them off until now but just looking at the plant generally I think it needs a bit of help. The sawfly grubs are total bastards - they've hit all our roses but the established ones can withstand it, my little cutting can't really afford to lose any more leaves to them.

That fits. Mine was a newbie that was hit. It was around the front where I mustnt have checked for a week. Touch wood no issues yet this year but I keep a closer an eye on the more remote ones so to speak.

• Agree 1