DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Smoking meat Texas style

Popuplights

Popuplights

I'm smoking a Brisket today for a family BBQ this afternoon.

I was up at 4.30 am to light the smoker and trim the Brisket.

I am using a Spanish Brisket as it has been grain fed and therefore has much more marbling. I didn't realize before I went to TX that all beef in this country is finished on grass, rather than grain, which makes for a much leaner animal. You really need the fat in a Brisket to render as you cook asbit is a tough piece of meat. 

I use a Weber smokey mountain, which I got in the US, but are available here. Here are some pics so far. 

After about 6 hours I will wrap it in butcher paper and put it back on until it reaches my target internal temperature, and I will also probe for tenderness.

More pics as the day progresses!

Screenshot_20210725-083915.jpg

Screenshot_20210725-083926.jpg

• Agree 3
  • Cheers 3

This isn't really a criticism of your culinary skills, but I always found the markup on berbecues to be absolutely mental. Hadn't heard of the Smokey Mountain before, just looked it up and it looks like an outdoor slow cooker, powered by coal. Fair enough in itself. The product itself appears to be just a metal casing with a few racks in.

Price... £299!

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/charcoal/weber-smokey-mountain-cooker-37cm.asp

• Agree 3

Don Coglione
1 hour ago, spunko said:

This isn't really a criticism of your culinary skills, but I always found the markup on berbecues to be absolutely mental. Hadn't heard of the Smokey Mountain before, just looked it up and it looks like an outdoor slow cooker, powered by coal. Fair enough in itself. The product itself appears to be just a metal casing with a few racks in.

Price... £299!

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/charcoal/weber-smokey-mountain-cooker-37cm.asp

Don't look at these then!

https://www.biggreenegg.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl_SHBhCQARIsAFIFRVWkHmBNUxVCZnJyL3rEs27Jnkn4qa80-bgAPNzpgznzAA9aUJz__mkaAt17EALw_wcB

Hancock
8 hours ago, Popuplights said:

I am using a Spanish Brisket as it has been grain fed and therefore has much more marbling. I didn't realize before I went to TX that all beef in this country is finished on grass, rather than grain, which makes for a much leaner animal. You really need the fat in a Brisket to render as you cook asbit is a tough piece of meat. 

I use a Weber smokey mountain, which I got in the US, but are available here. Here are some pics so far. 

After about 6 hours I will wrap it in butcher paper and put it back on until it reaches my target internal temperature, and I will also probe for tenderness.

Looks delightful ....  Id ring whoever is coming up and tell them BBQ is cancelled, and just sit feasting on that like a dog for the rest of the night.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Popuplights
5 hours ago, spunko said:

Price... £299!

Fear not. In true DOSBODS style I got it second hand for 100 bucks. !!

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

Popuplights
Posted (edited)

A 9 hour cook, 2 hours rest. I was really happy with the results. Best one I have ever cooked.

Screenshot_20210725-200619.jpg

Screenshot_20210725-200624.jpg

See

Screenshot_20210725-200632.jpg

Edited by Popuplights
  • Agree 4
  • Cheers 5

1 hour ago, Popuplights said:

A 9 hour cook, 2 hours rest. I was really happy with the results. Best one I have ever cooked.

Screenshot_20210725-200619.jpg

Screenshot_20210725-200624.jpg

See

Screenshot_20210725-200632.jpg

Are these any good for vegetarians / vegetables?

And do you envisage using it in the winter etc?

I've just had a quick browse and am now intrigued :D

• Agree 1

Popuplights
1 minute ago, spunko said:

Are these any good for vegetarians / vegetables?

And do you envisage using it in the winter etc?

I've just had a quick browse and am now intrigued :D

Winter use no issues. It works fine. Not sure about vegetables. I grilled aubergine and halloumi for the veggys tonight, but on the regular BBQ

• Agree 2

56 minutes ago, Popuplights said:

Winter use no issues. It works fine. Not sure about vegetables. I grilled aubergine and halloumi for the veggys tonight, but on the regular BBQ

What about pizza? I know they aren't intended for that per se but looks like you can just use a pizza stone and it'll double up as a pizza oven , albeit not quite as good.

Bobthebuilder
1 hour ago, Popuplights said:

I always stick a couple of aubergines on the grill when I first light it up. By the time the coals are ready for meat, etc, the aubes are done.

• Informative 1

10 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I always stick a couple of aubergines on the grill

Bloody hell, move over shrimp. :Old:

(Joking aside, grilled aubergines are very moreish!)

• Agree 1

With a crooked smile
On 25/07/2021 at 13:50, spunko said:

That's nothing, you'll have a right shock if you look at green egg bbqs or the kamodo dragon (think that's the right name ones). 

• Lol 1

5 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

That's nothing, you'll have a right shock if you look at green egg bbqs or the kamodo dragon (think that's the right name ones). 

Yeah I don't know who these people are that are spending 2k on a barbecue. If I was going to spend that much I'd get one of those outdoor kitchen things and go the full hog. Seems really unnecessary in this country tbh.

18 hours ago, Popuplights said:

That type is fire brick lined. I suppose that's why. Seems ok value to me, compared to the branded ones.

I must admit, since someone posted that Green Egg I've been finding myself watching YouTube videos of the food. I'd never ever spend a grand on a barbecue but I am now wondering if the aldi one is worth trying :ph34r:

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Libspero
On 25/07/2021 at 13:50, spunko said:

Price... £299!

Broadly agree..   but there is also some method to the madness.

Kitchen equipment is usually made of plastic and low quality mild steel,   just because it can be.

The difference between a cheap and expensive BBQ (if you put the side by side) is usually the thickness and quality of the steel.   Cheap ones are usually painted mild steel..   last about a season before rusting up.  Expensive ones are heavier duty and made of high grade stainless to resist both the elements and the heat.

We bought a small Weber BBQ for (at the time) the extortionate price of £70 quid.    It looks like new still 10 years later.

• Agree 2

Popuplights
4 hours ago, Libspero said:

We bought a small Weber BBQ for (at the time) the extortionate price of £70 quid.    It looks like new still 10 years later.

The ceramic coating on Weber BBQS means they really last well. 

• Informative 1

Captain Cavey
On 25/07/2021 at 00:43, Popuplights said:

I’ve got a similar smoker, but it’s a lot of effort maintaining temperature and smoke over a long cook time. Consequently, I cheat and bought and electronic one with an automatic feed. Results are comparable and leaves you to do other stuff whilst you get your smoke on. Like drink.

spacer.png

• Cheers 1