DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Count the bodies

BurntBread

Count the bodies (sorry for ghoulishness / lack of sensitivity):  

152 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

BurntBread

I guess everyone (even the somewhat reclusive) knows perhaps 200 to 500 people personally, and we have disjoint social circles on this site. This survey might therefore give a rough idea of what things are like in the real world, 18 months into the worst pandemic any of us can remember.

JoeDavola

I know 5 covid cases, none of which required hospital, and one that has been suffering from fatigue for 6+ months after.

• Informative 1

BurntBread
Just now, JoeDavola said:

I know 5 covid cases, none of which required hospital, and one that has been suffering from fatigue for 6+ months after.

I was going to add some more questions, but a poll only allows three. I suggest we let this one run for a while, then I'll do another survey about less severe things (died with, but not of covid, number of people you know who have caught it, and number who have had it severely, or for a long time, but not needed hospital treatment).

• Agree 1

My personal barometer is the niche model railway society I am a member of. Mean age of membership must be in the 60-70 range, with some serious outliers on the high side. About 500 members nationally, a few internationally. No deaths with or from covid, to the best of my knowledge.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 4

Been on sites for the last 15 months. Met all kinds from all over the UK, sweaties, taffs, mancs, EErs, South Africans, no cockneys for some reason. Heard of a few who had it, but not heard of any who died of “ the COVID”.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

One percent
15 minutes ago, eight said:

My personal barometer is the niche model railway society I am a member of. Mean age of membership must be in the 60-70 range, with some serious outliers on the high side. About 500 members nationally, a few internationally. No deaths with or from covid, to the best of my knowledge.

I bet the Christmas party is a right rave. 

• Lol 1

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

The gauge wars can be brutal.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 6

My 86yo dad was admitted for possible heart failure last autumn supposedly caught the coof there and is still happily "Dodgin the undertaker" 

• Informative 3
  • Cheers 3

invalid
59 minutes ago, BurntBread said:

I was going to add some more questions, but a poll only allows three. I suggest we let this one run for a while, then I'll do another survey about less severe things (died with, but not of covid, number of people you know who have caught it, and number who have had it severely, or for a long time, but not needed hospital treatment).

The survey was easy for me, zero all the way. The surprise (or was it?) was how many others also put zero.

Gets a bit trickier when expanded out as you suggest. I'll have a go at a quick summary of cases I know to give some ideas on best questions to ask or how to group them.

2 relatives - both now dead, both caught covid in hospital both certainly did not die form it nor it did make any contribution. In fact both of them shrugged covid of just fine despite being close to death. Of those two, one would have been recorded as a covid death.

4 relatives have had it and all recovered just fine.

Friends of friends, people that I know of - bit harder to recall but maybe around a dozen that have had it and recovered fine. Know of one person who had to go into hospital for some oxygen, in their 70s and a lifelong smoker, they probably struggle to get enough oxygen anyway.

• Informative 3

Don Coglione

I have mentioned here, to much derision, that I am the youngest member of our village bowls club.

We have members in their 70s, 80s and even 90s; perhaps the majority have some underlying health condition (heart, COPD, Parkinson's, though little to no obesity). 

Despite carrying on pretty much as normal (albeit with no inter-club matches last year), no-one has caught it, never mind died.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 6

Don Coglione
1 minute ago, invalid said:

The survey was easy for me, zero all the way. The surprise (or was it?) was how many others also put zero.

Gets a bit trickier when expanded out as you suggest. I'll have a go at a quick summary of cases I know to give some ideas on best questions to ask or how to group them.

2 relatives - both now dead, both caught covid in hospital both certainly did not die form it nor it did make any contribution. In fact both of them shrugged covid of just fine despite being close to death. Of those two, one would have been recorded as a covid death.

4 relatives have had it and all recovered just fine.

Friends of friends, people that I know of - bit harder to recall but maybe around a dozen that have had it and recovered fine. Know of one person who had to go into hospital for some oxygen, in their 70s and a lifelong smoker, they probably struggle to get enough oxygen anyway.

If I didn't have a dear friend who worked in a care-home and who attested to several, unpleasant, deaths, I would have called this out as a total hoax.

• Agree 1

Gloommonger

Zero I know of personally have died and zero of my parents social circle have died, 70s and 80s.

One percent
58 minutes ago, Don Coglione said:

I have mentioned here, to much derision, that I am the youngest member of our village bowls club.

We have members in their 70s, 80s and even 90s; perhaps the majority have some underlying health condition (heart, COPD, Parkinson's, though little to no obesity). 

Despite carrying on pretty much as normal (albeit with no inter-club matches last year), no-one has caught it, never mind died.

Bloody hell, first we have model train enthusiasts and now bowls.  No wonder stokie is the only one with a sex life co.O

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

supernaut

A driver I work with was in hospital with it, hugely overweight, they discovered he had type 2 diabetes whilst in hospital, age 47 

Back at work about 3 weeks after leaving hospital, physical enough job and doesn't seem to of affected him to much apart from losing some much needed weight, would still put him at over 25 stone easy 

• Informative 1

Don Coglione
8 minutes ago, One percent said:

Bloody hell, first we have model train enthusiasts and now bowls.  No wonder stokie is the only one with a sex life co.O

Lots of pampas grass here in Wiltshire...

• Informative 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 2

Van Lady

I live in a rural Scottish town and know lots of folk over the 55 years resident here plus others who have moved to other areas.

My votes were all zero.

I know and have heard of a few folk who have tested positive for Covid but they have all recovered, as far as I know

There is a death notice section on the local newspaper window and in the local rag.  It’s just a normal year and a half+ here…..sometimes none….usually a few….occasionally more but always less than ten.

In a rural south west Scotland we are definitely NOT dying in obvious and increased numbers from a lethal pandemic. Haven’t seen any evidence that it’s any different elsewhere.

• Informative 1

SillyBilly

More importantly can we have a poll to identify the WUM that went for +15? I think I know who it is.

• Lol 1

maynardgravy
2 hours ago, One percent said:

Steaming 

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

One percent
3 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

I live in a rural Scottish town and know lots of folk over the 55 years resident here plus others who have moved to other areas.

My votes were all zero.

I know and have heard of a few folk who have tested positive for Covid but they have all recovered, as far as I know

There is a death notice section on the local newspaper window and in the local rag.  It’s just a normal year and a half+ here…..sometimes none….usually a few….occasionally more but always less than ten.

In a rural south west Scotland we are definitely NOT dying in obvious and increased numbers from a lethal pandemic. Haven’t seen any evidence that it’s any different elsewhere.

It’s a very weird pandemic when it doesn’t seem to kill that many people. 

Just now, maynardgravy said:

Steaming 

Eh? 

• Agree 3

Bus Stop Boxer

Zero. Well maybe 1, but i now think he got Hancockazalomed. And its someone id not laid eyes on for 35 years so barely counts.

Zero

Zero

maynardgravy
1 hour ago, Don Coglione said:

I bet it's rife with irritable bowls though. 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

It’s a very weird pandemic when it doesn’t seem to kill that many people. 

Eh? 

Really?

One percent
2 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

My Mum was 90 and fell over and spent the night on the bathroom floor. 

They stuck her in a geriatric community hospital where everyone was positive.

She died of old age 10 days later......but on her death certificate....COVID.

I had a right old row with the GP about it......but he wouldn't budge....it had to be covid....fucking bastard cunt arse of a quack.

I know she died of old age.

EDIT...I've a GP friend who hasn't seen a single death from covid yet.

Sorry for your loss wahoo. 

• Agree 5

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Sorry for your loss wahoo. 

That's very nice of you.    She had a lovely life and didn't suffer.

• Cheers 3

Bobthebuilder

Zero.

Zero.

One.

The one person I know who was in hospital was a policeman, so probably got preferential treatment. (they took antibodies from him afterwards).

Edit to add, this was February 2020.

Edited by Bobthebuilder