DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Reverse Osmosis Water Filter

JohnThePessimist

JohnThePessimist

We bought our house a few years back (boo, hiss). We inherited the water filter pictured below. I know nothing about these things. Can anyone shed any light? Having run some searches all I’m finding are providers trying to sell me stuff. Thanks in advance…

Shit wrong forum! @spunko could you please oblige and move it? Thanks 

B92A654C-C7A0-41CC-80B8-A2EBD433AB68.jpeg

Edited by JohnThePessimist
  • Lol 1

ashestoashes

open it up and replace the filters as required, maybe send water for testing

• Agree 1

Had to get a RO system in my last house. Not on main water so water came from underground spring into storage tank. Water was tested by local authority and they said it was high in nitrates and as we had small child and another on way we got RO unit. 

Local authority came round again and took sample and a few days later got results back. Water not up to standard as they could not find enough calcium in it but they we're going to send results to expert at local hospital for his opinion.

Got letter back from expert saying ignore local authority as it was pure water and perfect for drinking... If we wanted we could just swallow a bit of calcium (read indigestion tablet).

• Informative 1

Libspero

Never seen them in houses in the UK before..  usually see them in remote hotel complexes or boats as “water makers”.

I believe the filters are quite expensive..  and probably use quite a lot of electric as well if all your potable water is going through one.

Andersen

Similar but not the same, a year ago I fitted 2x filters (5 & 20 micron) + a 240v UV purification system for a well to provide drinking water.

The filters are similar to yours and have replacable paper-ish elements, advice was to change them 4x times a year. As it's low use we're going for 2x changes. UV lamp is supposed to be changed every year - that might or might not happen (UV loses efficiency, the silica processing tube can "fur up" but can be cleaned - just like dirty windows).

Edited by Andersen

20 minutes ago, Andersen said:

Similar but not the same, a year ago I fitted 2x filters (5 & 20 micron) + a 240v UV purification system for a well to provide drinking water.

The filters are similar to yours and have replacable paper-ish elements, advice was to change them 4x times a year. As it's low use we're going for 2x changes. UV lamp is supposed to be changed every year - that might or might not happen (UV loses efficiency, the silica processing tube can "fur up" but can be cleaned - just like dirty windows).

Yes going to say fitted UV filter as well. Have to admit filters and tube didn't get changed as often as suggested. System fitted 30years ago and I left house 17years ago. Only the filters and UV tube replaced all other parts were very reliable. 

Thought at the time it would be better if every house had this set up then no need to add chemicals to all the system water. 

I've got an RO unit in my cellar. Was easier to fit that than plumb in tap water down there.

Unless the water going in is like soup, you don't need to change the filters that often. (Every 4 or 5 years in my case.) If in doubt, get an inline ec meter. A significant rise in ec tells you to change the filters.

Biggest hassle is if you are on a water meter. For every gallon of RO, there is at least 3 gallons of waste water.

I had a plastic kitchen waste bin fitted with a float valve to give me 20 litres of RO at a time. Even with the float valve closed, it was still producing waste water. I fitted a special valve to stop that.

If the water pressure is low, you'll need a pump. Then you'll need a float switch rather than a float valve if wanting a specific volume of RO available. Has the advantage of the pump being off means no waste water produced.

reformed nice guy

What is your water source?

If you have a settling tank before the water filters then consider adding some simple filters (even as simple as gauze) to catch the larger particles. That will reduce the load on the filters further down the system and improve their efficiency, flow rate, lifespan

Panther
On 27/07/2021 at 14:06, JohnThePessimist said:

We bought our house a few years back (boo, hiss). We inherited the water filter pictured below. I know nothing about these things. Can anyone shed any light? Having run some searches all I’m finding are providers trying to sell me stuff. Thanks in advance…

It's a filter or looking at it the other way round, a concentrator. Liquid enters the cartridge and either goes through the filter membrane or it doesn't, which of the two outputs is the byproduct is up to you. A fairly old technology now, lots of them around, used in process industries - water, chemicals, food. The filter membrane within the cartridge can be exchanged and cleaned but it's important to never let the flow go into reverse. The RO effect it relies upon is fairly microscopic.

Edited by Panther

Shamone
On 27/07/2021 at 14:06, JohnThePessimist said:

Shit wrong forum! @spunko could you please oblige and move it? Thanks 

B92A654C-C7A0-41CC-80B8-A2EBD433AB68.jpeg

What the holy fuck is that and why is it in your house? Do you live in the Gobi desert?