DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Long covid and cognitive impairment

Siggy

So @Rave mentioned this study on the Credit Deflation thread and I don't want to mess up that thread:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(21)00324-2/fulltext#seccesectitle0013

So on the face of it, as he mentions, good science which shows that long covid-> cognitive impairment.

However, it's not, as the cohorts differ and it's nigh on impossible to control for all variables. For example, I've read  most of the paper and I don't see any mention of BMI which along with age are the top predictors of covid severity. And I think it's entirely reasonable that there may be an affect due to a correlation between IQ and BMI. 

• Informative 2

wherebee
5 hours ago, steppensheep said:

Is anyone else noticing a lot of people tunelessly whistling these days?

always have, proud of it, drives people mental.

The Masked Tulip
16 hours ago, steppensheep said:

Is anyone else noticing a lot of people tunelessly whistling these days?

No, but wherever I go there is always some bloke singing the songs from Les Miserables terribly. 

• Agree 1

Bedrag Justesen
51 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

No, but wherever I go there is always some bloke singing the songs from Les Miserables terribly. 

Stay away from Wales Millennium Centre.

• Lol 2

ashestoashes

anyone with impressive wine cellars who have now lost their sense of taste and smell due to covid ? Oh, the mental anguish

Onsamui

My GP brother who has 14 staff off due to the 'pingdemic' said the long covid was the new yuppie flu.

• Agree 2

Lightly Toasted
On 28/07/2021 at 14:29, Siggy said:

So @Rave mentioned this study on the Credit Deflation thread and I don't want to mess up that thread:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(21)00324-2/fulltext#seccesectitle0013

So on the face of it, as he mentions, good science which shows that long covid-> cognitive impairment.

However, it's not, as the cohorts differ and it's nigh on impossible to control for all variables. For example, I've read  most of the paper and I don't see any mention of BMI which along with age are the top predictors of covid severity. And I think it's entirely reasonable that there may be an affect due to a correlation between IQ and BMI. 

They say they controlled...

for age, gender, education level, income, racial-ethnic group, pre-existing medical disorders, tiredness, depression and anxiety

No idea if unhealthy BMI counts as a medical disorder.

But the sad, stand-out issue for me is that The Lancet is compromised. In the current climate would they publish a putative paper that found  cognitive decline post-jab? No, they would not and that means you can't really rely on what they do publish -- it's like expecting a valid result from a football match where only one side is allowed into the other side's half.

• Agree 3