DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Documentaries worth watching

DTMark

If there's already a thread and someone can point me to it that would be appreciated.

Looking for decent documentaries to watch - one-offs or series.

Any subject.. I might learn something.

Don Coglione
39 minutes ago, DTMark said:

If there's already a thread and someone can point me to it that would be appreciated.

The 7-Up series from Michael Apted - life-affirming.

• Agree 1

Hancock
1 hour ago, DTMark said:

There is one on BBC iplayer, about the parents of kids who done mass shootings in US schools.

They all seem normal decent people, cant remember the name but a google search will assist.

Edited by Hancock

2 sports docs on Netflix. They don't just focus on achievements, or lack of. Digs into the human element a fair bit.

'The Battered Bastards of Baseball'. Minor league club owned by a retired B lister who is living out the well worn movie trope of leading a bunch of misfits to victory. Except that real life and Hollywood are different.

'Losers'. Each episode features a 'loser' and how they came to terms with being a loser.

Adam Curtis stuff is always worth a watch... Century of the Self being a good place to start

Then for general interest there's a climbing doc called Free Solo that is captivating

For something more esoteric, there's one called The King of Kong which follows the world of competitive Donkey Kong gaming. Really enjoyed this one.

Then of course it would be remiss of me to not mention:

The Greatest Story Never Told

Europa: The Last Battle

Hellstorm

• Agree 2

On 02/08/2021 at 12:31, Boglet said:

Adam Curtis stuff is always worth a watch... Century of the Self being a good place to start

Then for general interest there's a climbing doc called Free Solo that is captivating

For something more esoteric, there's one called The King of Kong which follows the world of competitive Donkey Kong gaming. Really enjoyed this one.

Then of course it would be remiss of me to not mention:

The Greatest Story Never Told

Europa: The Last Battle

Hellstorm

How that guy who shut himself in the garage playing Donkey Kong didn’t end up with his wife having an affair is one of the most remarkable bits of that documentary. The whole thing is like a bunch of losers competing with each other to be crowned king of the losers.

Overnight is a good for watching a car crash of how Joe ordinary lands a Hollywood movie gig and goes mad with power almost instantly.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SNACR said:

How that guy who shut himself in the garage playing Donkey Kong didn’t end up with his wife having an affair is one of the most remarkable bits of that documentary. The whole thing is like a bunch of losers competing with each other to be crowned king of the losers.

Overnight is a good for watching a car crash of how Joe ordinary lands a Hollywood movie gig and goes mad with power almost instantly.

Out of curiosity I was just looking at the wikipedia page for King of Kong, turns out I've been to the arcade where a lot of the competitions took place - Funspot in Laconia New Hampshire.

Had a go on half these cabinets :x

Could have spent all day in there, sadly the missus was bored after a couple of goes on the Ghostbusters lightgun game :(

1920px-FunspotMuseum3.JPG

I can thoroughly recommend TT3D : Closer to the Edge.  I don't like motorcycle racing at all, but it was amazing.  I felt nervous watching some of the onboard footage, it's that fast.  It's also the first thing I saw with Guy Martin in.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1698010/

For the car (and illegal) version of driving fast on public roads:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1329299/

It's not often that my jaw drops when watching a film, but this one made me do it twice.  You might need a torrent for it  as it's not easily available - I bought the DVD directly from the director in the USA and got a nice "Thank you" card from her with it!

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

dev.null
On 03/08/2021 at 23:36, Lipid said:

I can thoroughly recommend TT3D : Closer to the Edge.  I don't like motorcycle racing at all, but it was amazing.  I felt nervous watching some of the onboard footage, it's that fast.  It's also the first thing I saw with Guy Martin in.

The extra's are well worth watching too, the account of Paul Dobbs' death by his wife, Bridget shows real metal.

Sadly Lockk9 took down one of the best Youtube vids, has since been reposted: 

ElKapitan84
17 minutes ago, SomersetMatt said:

Staircase on Netflix. 
Dont Fuck With Cats - Netflix. 

Both fantastic… 

+1 for Staircase.  Gripping.

SomersetMatt
5 minutes ago, ElKapitan84 said:

+1 for Staircase.  Gripping.

If you haven’t seen Don’t Fuck with Cats, I’d recommend 

Hancock
On 29/07/2021 at 22:41, DTMark said:

On iplayer, there are a few documentaries called "unsolved", looking at one guy who literally vanished from the IOW.

And some lad from Bournemouth who got fitted up for murder.

Also on Prime there is a documentary about the guy who invented base jumping, cracking show.

Edited by Hancock

I recently watched a doc about Pele. (On Netflix.)

Through no fault of his own, he found himself in a difficult situation. Being so famous, many expected him to speak out against the military dictatorship in Brazil. 

He managed to remain neutral and apolitical. No easy task.

• Agree 1

Abducted in plain sight is just well. You have to watch it. O.o

The box that built Britain is excellent. All about containers. No I'm not kidding !!

Free Solo, climbing without ropes or any safety equipment. I daren't watch the whole thing, just this bit about exploring the options on the most challenging part of the climb, with ropes, is scary enough for me.

Imagine doing any of that without the ropes. Nope, not for me.

• Agree 1

Watched The Donut King (2020), available on Sky Documentaries (also available via NowTV) which I thought would be a Scarface style immigrant builds empire story, but it turned out to be much more, covering the refugee situation leaving Cambodia for the USA, how easy it was to start a business, how ridiculously addicted to donuts the yanks are, and how even a successful business man can get suckered into losing it large in Las Vegas and the escalating destructive gambling addiction.

Cambodians sponsored into the USA account for 95% of 'mom and pop' donut shops on the west coast. All started by one man. I suppose in the UK the equivalent is the fried chicken shops. I know Wembley town centre is wall to wall with them last time I was down wembley way.

I'm guessing the shop owners and staff don't eat as many donuts as the customers. as they are all still relatively slim. Unless donuts aren't that unhealthy after all. A documentary opportunity for someone to Super Size Me using donuts. xD

• Agree 1

Dealt. It's about a blind card magician. 

Jiro Dreams of Sushi. It's about a man who makes sushi :)

Both excellent.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/08/2021 at 17:02, SomersetMatt said:

Staircase on Netflix. 
Dont Fuck With Cats - Netflix. 

Both fantastic… 

Watched don't fuck with cats. Reasonably entertaining.

Staircase though I think we've watched 4 episodes so far and we both agree "fuck this is boring". I checked to see how many episodes left and turns out there 12 in total. WTF, I'm not sure I can grind through another 8 episodes, does it get interesting soon?

28 minutes ago, SomersetMatt said:

Stick with it… promise 

OK, I'll trust you...

Roger_Mellie

The Last Dance: Probably one for sports fans. About Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls of the 90s. Great archive footage, great story, very enjoyable. Although struggling with the 90s being history :D

• Cheers 1

On YouTube: E.01 - Enter Japan - Pearl Harbor - WW2 - 120 A - December 7, 1941

A minute by minute account narrated by Indy Neidell. I binge watched all 5 hours of it. Goes into the diplomacy side as well as some personal stories.