DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Anyone else sell books on Amazon?

humdrum

humdrum

It used to be an agreeable little tickle. I would buy a book, read it and then sell it on. Amazon would charge a fee, I would get some of my money back and 99 times out of a 100 the punter would be pleased.

All was well.

But I have been out of the game for a bit and decided to flog some of the dreck cluttering up the shelves. So I opened a new account with Amazon and put the first book up for sale.

And was told that Amazon wanted...

A referral fee of        £0.96

A closing fee of        £1.00

A per item fee of      £0.75

Taxes of                    £0.55

I have padded a few bills myself over the years myself, so I would not complain were it not so bloody cack handed. Why three different fees? I can understand Jeff Bezos saying, well guys, I want to go to the stars so you can bloody well pay for it and I want a few quid off you to pay for the petrol, but this is sad stuff and nothing Delos D. Harriman would do

Anyway, I have looked at the few thousand other books on the shelves and reckon they will do nicely for the bonfire on 5 November

• Informative 1

Someone involved in selling secondhand books and dvds was telling me Amazon made it very difficult to sell them for everyone including the biggest sellers. I think they do have their own used book outfit but I don’t think it was to assist this. Considering with third-party sellers it’s just a case of watching the money pour in it seems an odd commercial decision he thinks, and TBH so do I, it’s part of a larger agenda to push to all digital.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2021 at 21:16, SNACR said:

Someone involved in selling secondhand books and dvds was telling me Amazon made it very difficult to sell them for everyone including the biggest sellers. I think they do have their own used book outfit but I don’t think it was to assist this. Considering with third-party sellers it’s just a case of watching the money pour in it seems an odd commercial decision he thinks, and TBH so do I, it’s part of a larger agenda to push to all digital.

Agree, looked at the Amazon set-up a though "Forget it, life is too short for this nonsense"

The Grey Man
On 30/07/2021 at 19:54, humdrum said:

It used to be an agreeable little tickle. I would buy a book, read it and then sell it on. Amazon would charge a fee, I would get some of my money back and 99 times out of a 100 the punter would be pleased.

All was well.

But I have been out of the game for a bit and decided to flog some of the dreck cluttering up the shelves. So I opened a new account with Amazon and put the first book up for sale.

And was told that Amazon wanted...

A referral fee of        £0.96

A closing fee of        £1.00

A per item fee of      £0.75

Taxes of                    £0.55

I have padded a few bills myself over the years myself, so I would not complain were it not so bloody cack handed. Why three different fees? I can understand Jeff Bezos saying, well guys, I want to go to the stars so you can bloody well pay for it and I want a few quid off you to pay for the petrol, but this is sad stuff and nothing Delos D. Harriman would do

Anyway, I have looked at the few thousand other books on the shelves and reckon they will do nicely for the bonfire on 5 November

I may have posted something on this. No idea where!

A colleagues dad has a book shop.

Anyway books came up as a common subject.

His dad was pissed off by the tons of charges Amazon put on his books.

This was maybe 6 months ago.

Amazon.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Been buying a few used books off Amazon for my mum from her favourite authors as she can't find them locally without paying new price.

Many are pennies with a standard delivery charge of £2.80. So not sure how this correlates to the charges listed above. I expect the postage includes the actual profit, so is the sell price of pennies how they get around the amazon fees?

Just bought a hardback book myself for just over £3 delivered, via an amazon marketplace seller. There are a few big sellers that often pop up on the used marketplace listings, including Music Magpie, so they must find it profitable, perhaps their volume puts them in a higher tier where the fees are workable, so they and amazon are just stopping small outfits competing.

It's 15 years ago now, but when I was selling a few books on Amazon you could pay a fee per book (which was about £2.80 even back then IIRC) or you could pay a flat fee of something like £50 a month for as many listings as you liked. The guys selling books for 1p plus postage were all doing the latter (and presumably got a bulk rate on the post as well).

I considered doing it as at the time I had what seemed like a pretty reliable source of free books, but in the end figured it would be more arseache than it was worth (and I didn't really have the space to store a lot of stock as I was in a one bed flat at the time).

• Informative 1