DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

How to get wasps to fuck off and give up their nest

Carl Fimble

Question

Carl Fimble

We have wasps going in and out of our wood store, so I've opened the door, thrown some stones near the bit they're going in and out of, lit a fire and had it burning near them (with lots of smoke)....

I'm now planning on ramming a stick in between the gap in the logs they're coming in and out of then running away. 

Anyone know a way to encourage them to fuck off?

Had a wee look online and there are sprays and powders which should work, and protective hat/hood things, which I should probably get, was hoping I could get rid of them myself though.

I can't actually see the nest but from watching then I think it's at the back of the wood store and they're getting in and out through gaps in the (piled up) logs.

What about skooshing them with water from a hose? 

Option5
24 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

They're starting to be a nuisance.
You need to get the wasp killer material into the centre of the nest.

The pest controllers use some sort of pump spray thing like you'd use for weedkiller.

I had a nest in my cavity wall, filled the end of a hose with wasp killing powder, pushed it onto the nest at night when the wasps were slow and blew the powder into the nest using compressed air from an old car tyre inner tube (there are loads of options for this, a CO2 fire extinguisher was my second choice 9_9)

When the powder is blasted into the nest it's best that you run like fuck, just in case.....

• Agree 1

D.E. as posted by @wherebee is good. You can buy a bottle of it that you squeeze and it flies out.  It's the organic choice if you're worried about harming mammals etc.

Personally I just use the wasp powder killer. If you're going to have to climb a ladder to do it, then have a few practice dismounts at speed first. If you're not going to be using a ladder then it's easy, just spray it in the hole, and leg it...

Do it in the evening when they're quieter.

• Agree 1

One percent
42 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

We have wasps going in and out of our wood store, so I've opened the door, thrown some stones near the bit they're going in and out of, lit a fire and had it burning near them (with lots of smoke)....

I'm now planning on ramming a stick in between the gap in the logs they're coming in and out of then running away. 

Had a wee look online and there are sprays and powders which should work, and protective hat/hood things, which I should probably get, was hoping I could get rid of them myself though.

I can't actually see the nest but from watching then I think it's at the back of the wood store and they're getting in and out through gaps in the (piled up) logs.

Yep, poke the nest with a stick. You may not get the result you are after and I hope you can run very fast. :)

• Lol 1

jamanda

I've read that squirty foam does the job but it sounds like you would have trouble getting it where it needs to be.

• Agree 1

Carl Fimble

My worry is, aside from being stung is that they move to a worse place than they are now. It's the full woodstore they're in, don't really need to touch that one until next year.. so maybe they'll be dead before then and me grabbing logs then will be fine?

I think the hose idea might work well, I can push the hose in the gap between the logs they're going in and out of, or one of two above it, then turn the water on from round the corner. I don't want to soak my dry logs, so would only have it on for a wee minute, would that make them fuck off though?

Carl Fimble
3 hours ago, jamanda said:

I've read that squirty foam does the job but it sounds like you would have trouble getting it where it needs to be.

Expanding foam? I could shoot that in the gap between the logs.

• Agree 1

nirvana
24 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

My worry is, aside from being stung is that they move to a worse place than they are now. It's the full woodstore they're in, don't really need to touch that one until next year..

so leave the poor fuckers alone! Wasps are 'natures tidiers', they eat shitty white flies and caterpillars as well as help to pollinate

• Agree 1

sarahbell

They're starting to be a nuisance.
You need to get the wasp killer material into the centre of the nest.

The pest controllers use some sort of pump spray thing like you'd use for weedkiller.

Dogtania
6 hours ago, nirvana said:

so leave the poor fuckers alone! Wasps are 'natures tidiers', they eat shitty white flies and caterpillars as well as help to pollinate

What?  You pick your sides in nature, bees are good wasps are bad and definitely expendable.  I'm not up for rocking the ecosystem too much so wouldn't go along with some mad professor gene drive but will happily encourage the death of them in my vicinity.

nirvana
9 hours ago, Dogtania said:

What?  You pick your sides in nature, bees are good wasps are bad and definitely expendable

wtf! Wasps are good pollenators dude! There appears to be this drive against wasps cos of those asian 'horses head' bad boys n girls who go around eating bees n stuff

If you get rid of all the pollenators you won't be growing much food! Or maybe that's part of the 'master plan' too and we're all supposed to buy shares in Monsanto and stuff our faces full of genetically modified shite? :S

invalid
23 hours ago, jamanda said:

I used that stuff once on a small wasps nest in the cavity of a porch. The idea is that as the wasps go in and out of the nest the foam sticks to them and they take it in.

My method was to spray and then run, very fast.

I only got stung twice. My suggestion would be to run faster than I did!

• Lol 5

Dogtania
5 hours ago, nirvana said:

wtf! Wasps are good pollenators dude! There appears to be this drive against wasps cos of those asian 'horses head' bad boys n girls who go around eating bees n stuff

If you get rid of all the pollenators you won't be growing much food! Or maybe that's part of the 'master plan' too and we're all supposed to buy shares in Monsanto and stuff our faces full of genetically modified shite? :S

Ok ok, I'll give wasps a slightly easier ride, I wasn't aware they were 'good' pollinators. 

Are hornets good pollonators or are they fair game?

I'm all for being nice to other living things with some exceptions.  Moths -the white clothes ones- I do kill on sight as we have a problems here with them.   I helped someone tear down and dump two transit worth of furniture last year for example that had been destroyed as a result of them.

• Bogged 1

nirvana
1 hour ago, Dogtania said:

Are hornets good pollonators or are they fair game?

no I think they're good pollinators too

French for wasp is guepe, a hornet is a frelon......you can get some pretty big frelons in the countryside BUT you shouldn't be killing em, they're really good 'natures tidiers'.....thing is most ex-pats are scared shitless of em and get the exterminators in asap

The things you have to watch out for are those 'asian giant hornet' bastards, they have been known to attack and even kill a horse!!

• Informative 1

sarahbell
10 hours ago, nirvana said:

They are pollinators but starting NOW they are utter cunts.

They feed on a sweet liquid that the baby larvae ooze out. When the nest stops making baby wasps there's no sweet stuff anymore.
(they catch insects to feed the baby wasps)
and then they start to be fucking annoying bastards trying to pinch sweet stuff.

• Agree 1
  • Bogged 1

nirvana
13 hours ago, sarahbell said:

they are utter cunts

goes for most of the human race, I'd rather live with a few hornets than too many humans, it's all about 'risk assessment' lol

you can made a simply trap like this

wasp-trap.jpg

Edited by nirvana

Bornagain
On 31/07/2021 at 08:18, Carl Fimble said:

Presumably you will not be removing wood until it gets cold in the Autumn ?

By then the wasps will be dead with the Queen hibernating, so presumably no problem.

Carl Fimble
17 minutes ago, Bornagain said:

Presumably you will not be removing wood until it gets cold in the Autumn ?

By then the wasps will be dead with the Queen hibernating, so presumably no problem.

Yeah, but it's in a place where we need to walk past it all the time, not that far from our front door. The wasps seem to be quite territorial too, and are bothering Mrs Fimble and the Fimblettes. 

Bornagain
5 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Yeah, but it's in a place where we need to walk past it all the time, not that far from our front door. The wasps seem to be quite territorial too, and are bothering Mrs Fimble and the Fimblettes. 

Ah, I had a wasps nest in a shed two summers ago, I bought a powder based kit and waited until it went dark - I assume that they sleep at night - covered up every square mm of skin and just got on with it....

They were all killed and I did not get stung - so if you are careful and take some basic precautions it is fairly straightforward.

Good luck.

• Cheers 2

Libspero

We had them last year.

The foam is shit..  don’t bother.  
Powder works great,  just squirt it in and run.

You can also just sit outside the nest and spray them with WD40.  Lit or not, it’s remarkably good at killing them.

But powders quickest and easiest.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Carl Fimble
12 hours ago, Libspero said:

We had them last year.

The foam is shit..  don’t bother.  
Powder works great,  just squirt it in and run.

You can also just sit outside the nest and spray them with WD40.  Lit or not, it’s remarkably good at killing them.

But powders quickest and easiest.

Shit, I've just bought some of the foam stuff, plan is to wait till they're asleep tonight and then skoosh the gap between the logs that they're going in and out of. I'll be wearing welders gauntlets, my thick winter jacket, jobby catchers under my jeans, my wellies and a midgie hat, I'll tape up the bits where my wellies meet my jeans and where my gauntlets meet my sleeves. 

I'll try to powder if this doesn't work, if I survive anyway. 

Libspero
30 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Shit, I've just bought some of the foam stuff, plan is to wait till they're asleep tonight and then skoosh the gap between the logs that they're going in and out of. I'll be wearing welders gauntlets, my thick winter jacket, jobby catchers under my jeans, my wellies and a midgie hat, I'll tape up the bits where my wellies meet my jeans and where my gauntlets meet my sleeves. 

Just my experience..  I went through two different brands of the foam ones, it blocks up the hole like shaving foam and you think "great, that'll fix the little bastards", then it melts away and they just continue to fly in and out again with impunity. The powder seemed to kill them all dead within a day. 

You might have better luck with the foam if you can actually squirt it into the nest..  I could only get at the hole they were using as an entrance. Good luck. 

Edited by Libspero
  • Cheers 1

wherebee
10 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

can you please video it?  We all need a giggle...

• Lol 1

King Penda
On 31/07/2021 at 08:18, Carl Fimble said:

Burn the shed down 

• Lol 1