Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Neil Oliver


Van Lady
 Share

Recommended Posts

The Grey Man
23 minutes ago, Stuey said:

I might watch in a bit when I've woken up properly. From the title though he also seems to have noticed it's a US, UK, Australia, Canada, NZ and Israel thing.

 

I think he did. Subtle though.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Syd Germs said:

 

Another great vid.

 

 

Top bloke, in my opinion.

Clever man who has outstanding insight into world history, in my opinion again, and able to articulate his concerns about current circumstances in a logical and coherent way.

❤️him. I do hope he’ll be ok for standing against the current and ongoing hysteria and mass insanity.

 

  • Agree 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MrPin said:

I watched that on TV, which few of you have.

Got a TV and didn't even realise GBN was actually a terrestrial channel. Is that why it cost nearly £50m to set up?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

stop_the_craziness
55 minutes ago, A tremendous # on the lung said:

I'm still surprised he's not a lefty twat. I would have bet good money on that a year or two ago

I didn't know him before so didn't have an opinion on him.  But yes, he doesn't fit the anti-narrative stereotype at all, which is probably why he hasn't been roundly attacked/cancelled/ridiculed in the MSM.  Yet.

Edited by stop_the_craziness
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get your Steely Dans out ladies.

Another great vid.

Talks about interacting with like-minded people.

Think he's right. Need to form an alternative society.

 

  • Agree 3
  • Love 3
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ccc said:

Overused word but he's a legend. 

He's risking a lot by being open and honest. Not an easy thing to do. 

Yes he's still being paid but if his GBN gig ends he won't have many options. 

He must know this. 

Expecting him to get a VERY bad case of the coof this winter

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, ccc said:

Overused word but he's a legend. 

He's risking a lot by being open and honest. Not an easy thing to do. 

Yes he's still being paid but if his GBN gig ends he won't have many options. 

He must know this. 

Looks like his publisher is standing by him. I’m sure he has more books to write. Also he does (or did pre covidshite) sell out talks. I think he’s probably fairly financially secure with future ideas for income and thus able to speak his mind.

 
 
R1lqetLQ_x96.jpg
 
Hurrah for all of us!
Quote Tweet
 
 
emk_11dC_normal.jpg
 
Transworld Books
 
@TransworldBooks
· 16 Sep
A very happy publication day today to our wonderful authors + their brilliant books Partying face Congrats! #Raging2020s @AlecJRoss #100Moments @thecoastguy #HerWartimeSecret @EmmaHornbyBooks #Hunt @LeonaDeakin1 #FineArtofInvisibleDetection @RobertGoddardUK #StrayCatsofHoms by Eva Nour
 
 
Image
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m sure I saw a tweet from John O’Looney yesterday or the day before (the outspoken funeral director) who has been in contact with an nhs nurse. Nurse’s final comment according to John was something like…..last year they were clapping us, when they find out the truth they’ll be stoning us. John asks for anyone with media access to help get the nurse info out. Neil Oliver, coast guy on Twitter responded something like ….I’m interested.

I can’t search Twitter and not signed up.

  • Agree 3
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

stop_the_craziness
56 minutes ago, Syd Germs said:

Get your Steely Dans out ladies.

Another great vid.

Talks about interacting with like-minded people.

Think he's right. Need to form an alternative society.

 

Astonishing.  That's the modern equivalent of the Henry V "On St Crispin's Day" speech.

If anyone didn't watch the video, here are the concluding words.  This man needs a permanent place in history for this prose.  And for his utterly captivating delivery because he means it with every fibre of his being.

People like Hancock and Boris Johnson could never match this oratory because they lack this man's utter integrity and passion.  The most inspirational words still ring hollow if they come out of a mouth with no genuine conviction.  He's all in and it shows.  Awesome.

I'm not afraid.
Not of long, dark nights
The cure to all our ills is togetherness
Inclusion and not exclusion
I say it is simple and we must find ways to be together
However scattered and isolated we have been made to feel, we are many
We are enough
We are more than enough
11 minutes ago, Whowhywhen? said:

Top man.  If I had a bean,  I'd be flicking it like a woman possessed.

My post intellectualised it but yes, this, basically. :ph34r:

  • Agree 8
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

stop_the_craziness
24 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Looks like his publisher is standing by him. I’m sure he has more books to write. Also he does (or did pre covidshite) sell out talks. I think he’s probably fairly financially secure with future ideas for income and thus able to speak his mind.

I do hope so.  He also doesn't come across as hugely materialistic either, so that cuts down how much money is required for a life of being "financially secure"

  • Agree 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bobthebuilder

I have been watching his monologues for the last few months, I end up in tears every time.

If you post a letter addressed to "the coast guy", Royal Mail, make sure it gets to him.

Stunning.

  • Agree 1
  • Love 1
  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just posting a copy of NO’s Wikipedia on 19/9/21. I’ll be keeping an eye on it to see if it gets a hatchet job done on it. 
 

Neil Oliver

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
 
 
Jump to navigationJump to search
For the English footballer, see Neil Oliver (footballer). For the Australian politician, see Neil Oliver (politician).
Neil Oliver
Neil Oliver at Windsor Quay (cropped).jpg
Oliver in 2006
Born 21 February 1967 (age 54)
Renfrew, Scotland, UK[1]
Citizenship British
Occupation Television presenter
Author
Years active 2002–present
Website www.neiloliver.com

Neil Oliver (born 21 February 1967) is a Scottish television presenter and author. Trained as an archaeologist, he is best known as the presenter of several documentary series on archaeology and history, including A History of Scotland, Vikings, and Coast. He is also an author of popular history books and historical fiction.

He was the president of the National Trust for Scotland from 2017 to 2020.[2][3]

Early life and education[edit]

Oliver was born in Renfrew[4][5] and grew up in Ayr and Dumfries where he attended Dumfries Academy. He then attended the University of Glasgow. He obtained an MA (Hons) in archaeology and then worked as a freelance archaeologist, before training as a journalist.[6]

He received honorary degrees from Abertay University in 2011[7] and the University of Glasgow in 2015.[8]

Television career[edit]

50px-Question_book-new.svg.png
This section needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.  (August 2021)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)

Oliver first appeared on television in the 2002 BBC Two series Two Men in a Trench, in which he and archaeologist Tony Pollard visited historic British battlefields. He was also a co-author of the two books accompanying the series. In 2006, he presented The Face of Britain for Channel 4 and Scotland's History: The Top Ten for the BBC. Early in his career he also appeared on The One Show and Time Team.

Oliver was a co-presenter of the first series of Coast in 2005, and replaced Nicholas Crane as the show's main presenter for the second, third, fourth, and fifth series. He also presented Coast Australia (2013) and Coast New Zealand (2016).

From 2006 to 2018 he presented a number of history documentaries for the BBC, including A History of Scotland (2008) and Sacred Wonders of Britain (2013). In 2012, he wrote and presented Vikings, a three-part series on the Vikings.

In April 2021, he was announced as a presenter for the new GB News' TV channel, founded by fellow Scot and journalist Andrew Neil. Oliver hosts a weekly current affairs and interview programme.[9]

Personal life[edit]

He lives in Stirling[10] with his wife, three children and two Irish wolfhounds.[11][12] He is a patron of the Association of Lighthouse Keepers.[13]

In November 2011, he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Letters by the University of Abertay Dundee.[14]

Politics[edit]

In May 2014, Oliver stated in an interview with The Herald, that he was "proud of Britain" and noted his dislike of the forthcoming Scottish independence referendum saying that "this kind of internecine squabbling puts my teeth on edge. I would rather that it would just go away – or that it had never happened". He went on to say that he "liked the status quo".[15] When he was appointed President of the National Trust for Scotland, thousands signed petitions calling on him to resign.[16]

In June 2020, in the midst of a row about his admiration for the historian David Starkey, Neil Oliver announced he was resigning from the National Trust for Scotland board.[17] However, Oliver pointed out that he was "stepping down 'as intended' when his three year term in the role comes to an end in September [2020]." The National Trust for Scotland also dismissed claims that Oliver endorsed Starkey's controversial comments as "untrue".[17]

In December 2020, Oliver reasserted his personal opposition to Scottish independence, describing the uncertainty caused by the prospect of a second referendum as a "cancerous presence" and that "I'm a British citizen, that's how I see myself. Not in an argumentative way, I don't see that I should have to cede my right to understand myself as I am to some politician."[18]

Commenting on the British government's response to the coronavirus pandemic, on 11 June 2021 Oliver said, "Lockdown is the biggest single mistake in world history".[19] He also criticised the drive to vaccinate children in the UK against COVID-19, saying, "Never before in medical history has there been a proposal to vaccinate children against a disease that poses them no measurable harm. Added to this is the undeniable fact these vaccines for COVID are experimental, in that no data is available concerning long term effects."[20] He likened the fight against government anti-COVID measures to the fight against Nazi Germany, saying, "there's another battle of Britain being fought now. It's being fought by a minority outgunned and shouted down by those who would accept freedom handed to them by MPs on condition that they do as they are told. That's not freedom. That is tyranny."[21]

  • Agree 5
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Masked Tulip
53 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

I’m sure I saw a tweet from John O’Looney yesterday or the day before (the outspoken funeral director) who has been in contact with an nhs nurse. Nurse’s final comment according to John was something like…..last year they were clapping us, when they find out the truth they’ll be stoning us. John asks for anyone with media access to help get the nurse info out. Neil Oliver, coast guy on Twitter responded something like ….I’m interested.

I can’t search Twitter and not signed up.

 

 

 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

 

 

Yes, that’s the one :Beer:.

If you can be bothered can you see if I remember correctly that there was a response by the coastguy Neil Oliver along the lines of …..I’m interested.

I can imagine that Neil Oliver will endeavour to continuing to broadcast about the pandemic and in due course produce a thoroughly researched and articulate book about it/ podcast or something series from his biological, social, historical and humanitarian etc viewpoints. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Masked Tulip
7 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Yes, that’s the one :Beer:.

If you can be bothered can you see if I remember correctly that there was a response by the coastguy Neil Oliver along the lines of …..I’m interested.

I can imagine that Neil Oliver will endeavour to continuing to broadcast about the pandemic and in due course produce a thoroughly researched and articulate book about it/ podcast or something series from his biological, social, historical and humanitarian etc viewpoints. 

 

I can't find it now but I did see it yesterday.

To be frank, I suspect GBNews would be more limiting - have to adhere to OFCOM rules - than her talking with one of the numerous online sites such as UKColumn, Conservative Woman, Daily Expose, etc, here in the UK or the numerous US ones. Being NHS she really needs to talk to a Brit who understands the NHS. MSM can often kill a story. I doubt Neil Oliver would do so but he does not run GBNews. 

Also, the undertaker chap did not talk to MSM. He just began sticking videos up himself IIRC. He needs to find a way of recording the woman's story and then, if she wishes to hide her voice, for him to simply read out her story. If it is 'major' it would go viral as opposed, perhaps, the MSM digging dirt up on her to silence her... or dobbing her in to her bosses.

  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

I can't find it now but I did see it yesterday.

To be frank, I suspect GBNews would be more limiting - have to adhere to OFCOM rules - than her talking with one of the numerous online sites such as UKColumn, Conservative Woman, Daily Expose, etc, here in the UK or the numerous US ones. Being NHS she really needs to talk to a Brit who understands the NHS. MSM can often kill a story. I doubt Neil Oliver would do so but he does not run GBNews. 

Also, the undertaker chap did not talk to MSM. He just began sticking videos up himself IIRC. He needs to find a way of recording the woman's story and then, if she wishes to hide her voice, for him to simply read out her story. If it is 'major' it would go viral as opposed, perhaps, the MSM digging dirt up on her to silence her... or dobbing her in to her bosses.

Thanks. I thought I’d seen NO respond. I wish Mr O’Looney well in his attempts to get info out there. He’s already been dumped by a funeral directors association for being outspoken. Brave man! 

I doubt NO is thinking about GB news regarding his interest about the whistleblower nurse.

In my opinion Oliver is a proper scientist/historian because he gathers a range of information and tries hard to review it all and be objective to present a rational argument.

He’s getting sack loads of letters every week…..maybe a lot from nhs employees?

 

 

  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ccc said:

Overused word but he's a legend. 

He's risking a lot by being open and honest. Not an easy thing to do. 

Yes he's still being paid but if his GBN gig ends he won't have many options. 

He must know this. 

Must make you feel proud to be Scotch.

Can't say I understand the antipathy towards him on Coast expressed by some on here. Thought he was a vast improvement on that boring English cunt with the umbrella he replaced.

One of my favorite programs. Some top posh totty as well for the lads in Alice and Miranda.

 

60

 

p00vd850.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although I was born in Edinburgh and brought up in a local coal mining village I moved near Manchester when I married. Holiday romance exotic Scarborough. I have a British passport which was renewed prior to this fiasco. Still pristine and it’s a race to see who runs out first.So have little interest in Scottish politics. I found Brown embarrassing .

Daughter went one better and met her hubby in Honduras 🇭🇳 

 

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ccc said:

Overused word but he's a legend. 

He's risking a lot by being open and honest. Not an easy thing to do. 

Yes he's still being paid but if his GBN gig ends he won't have many options. 

He must know this. 

Reckon he's too sensible/ wise and see's no other option - maybe also an indicator about how few people in the limelight hold both integrity and intelligence.

  • Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Van Lady said:

Just posting a copy of NO’s Wikipedia on 19/9/21. I’ll be keeping an eye on it to see if it gets a hatchet job done on it. 
 

Neil Oliver

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
 
 
Jump to navigationJump to search
For the English footballer, see Neil Oliver (footballer). For the Australian politician, see Neil Oliver (politician).
Neil Oliver
Neil Oliver at Windsor Quay (cropped).jpg
Oliver in 2006
Born 21 February 1967 (age 54)
Renfrew, Scotland, UK[1]
Citizenship British
Occupation Television presenter
Author
Years active 2002–present
Website www.neiloliver.com

Neil Oliver (born 21 February 1967) is a Scottish television presenter and author. Trained as an archaeologist, he is best known as the presenter of several documentary series on archaeology and history, including A History of Scotland, Vikings, and Coast. He is also an author of popular history books and historical fiction.

He was the president of the National Trust for Scotland from 2017 to 2020.[2][3]

Early life and education[edit]

Oliver was born in Renfrew[4][5] and grew up in Ayr and Dumfries where he attended Dumfries Academy. He then attended the University of Glasgow. He obtained an MA (Hons) in archaeology and then worked as a freelance archaeologist, before training as a journalist.[6]

He received honorary degrees from Abertay University in 2011[7] and the University of Glasgow in 2015.[8]

Television career[edit]

50px-Question_book-new.svg.png
This section needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.  (August 2021)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)

Oliver first appeared on television in the 2002 BBC Two series Two Men in a Trench, in which he and archaeologist Tony Pollard visited historic British battlefields. He was also a co-author of the two books accompanying the series. In 2006, he presented The Face of Britain for Channel 4 and Scotland's History: The Top Ten for the BBC. Early in his career he also appeared on The One Show and Time Team.

Oliver was a co-presenter of the first series of Coast in 2005, and replaced Nicholas Crane as the show's main presenter for the second, third, fourth, and fifth series. He also presented Coast Australia (2013) and Coast New Zealand (2016).

From 2006 to 2018 he presented a number of history documentaries for the BBC, including A History of Scotland (2008) and Sacred Wonders of Britain (2013). In 2012, he wrote and presented Vikings, a three-part series on the Vikings.

In April 2021, he was announced as a presenter for the new GB News' TV channel, founded by fellow Scot and journalist Andrew Neil. Oliver hosts a weekly current affairs and interview programme.[9]

Personal life[edit]

He lives in Stirling[10] with his wife, three children and two Irish wolfhounds.[11][12] He is a patron of the Association of Lighthouse Keepers.[13]

In November 2011, he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Letters by the University of Abertay Dundee.[14]

Politics[edit]

In May 2014, Oliver stated in an interview with The Herald, that he was "proud of Britain" and noted his dislike of the forthcoming Scottish independence referendum saying that "this kind of internecine squabbling puts my teeth on edge. I would rather that it would just go away – or that it had never happened". He went on to say that he "liked the status quo".[15] When he was appointed President of the National Trust for Scotland, thousands signed petitions calling on him to resign.[16]

In June 2020, in the midst of a row about his admiration for the historian David Starkey, Neil Oliver announced he was resigning from the National Trust for Scotland board.[17] However, Oliver pointed out that he was "stepping down 'as intended' when his three year term in the role comes to an end in September [2020]." The National Trust for Scotland also dismissed claims that Oliver endorsed Starkey's controversial comments as "untrue".[17]

In December 2020, Oliver reasserted his personal opposition to Scottish independence, describing the uncertainty caused by the prospect of a second referendum as a "cancerous presence" and that "I'm a British citizen, that's how I see myself. Not in an argumentative way, I don't see that I should have to cede my right to understand myself as I am to some politician."[18]

Commenting on the British government's response to the coronavirus pandemic, on 11 June 2021 Oliver said, "Lockdown is the biggest single mistake in world history".[19] He also criticised the drive to vaccinate children in the UK against COVID-19, saying, "Never before in medical history has there been a proposal to vaccinate children against a disease that poses them no measurable harm. Added to this is the undeniable fact these vaccines for COVID are experimental, in that no data is available concerning long term effects."[20] He likened the fight against government anti-COVID measures to the fight against Nazi Germany, saying, "there's another battle of Britain being fought now. It's being fought by a minority outgunned and shouted down by those who would accept freedom handed to them by MPs on condition that they do as they are told. That's not freedom. That is tyranny."[21]

interesting that to me it doesn't come across as much of hit piece as I'd expect.  Not sure whether that's because he's just been pretty factual expressing his opinions and not gone further than saying this is a terrible mistake (ie not weighing in on the medical aspect in depth etc.).  Or maybe not enough other famous figures have attacked him (?) for a soundbite. Of course the wikipedia entry could be edited soon too in order to make sure it's clear he's a bad man.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...