DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Advice please

23rdian

I went guarantor on a private rental. No problem with the rent being paid but a couple of questions otherwise. Be grateful for any advice.

Landlord is your typical amatuer, doesn't want to spend any money, fix anything etc.

a) Does being guarantor stop when the initial contact period expires? Am I being naive thinking this could be the case? I think it was 18 months contract but it's been at least two years now since I signed.

b) We are currently having a bit of argy bargy about the trees. We have some tall conifers etc which we can't reach to cut the tops of. I am pretty sure that anything that needs chainsaws, height etc is the Landlords responsibility but does anyone have experience of arguing this? He has said that he will cut them initially then he no longer wants to keep paying for it.

Is ignoring his requests a good way to get a section 21 (not the end of the world - need a bigger place etc) or do you think he will try and address these costs through the guarantor? Can he?

Wight Flight
18 minutes ago, 23rdian said:

I went guarantor on a private rental. No problem with the rent being paid but a couple of questions otherwise. Be grateful for any advice.

Landlord is your typical amatuer, doesn't want to spend any money, fix anything etc.

a) Does being guarantor stop when the initial contact period expires? Am I being naive thinking this could be the case? I think it was 18 months contract but it's been at least two years now since I signed.

b) We are currently having a bit of argy bargy about the trees. We have some tall conifers etc which we can't reach to cut the tops of. I am pretty sure that anything that needs chainsaws, height etc is the Landlords responsibility but does anyone have experience of arguing this? He has said that he will cut them initially then he no longer wants to keep paying for it.

Is ignoring his requests a good way to get a section 21 (not the end of the world - need a bigger place etc) or do you think he will try and address these costs through the guarantor? Can he?

Can't help with the second bit. But you are the guarantor for the entire time the lease is in existence. There is no escape.

goldbug9999
3 hours ago, 23rdian said:

Generally contractually terms are deemed to carry over beyond the explicit contract term so long as both parties continue to act in the same way. In this case continuing to live in and pay for the rental would probably be seen as tacit acceptance of the existing T&Cs by both you and the tenant. Well that the general principal in contract law anyway. In my case for example if a client continues to give me work past the official contract end date then they are still liable to pay me for it.

Archived