DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Small house ideas

nirvana

nirvana

I'm into 'small designs' at the mo (as opposed to grand designs where they all seemed to get carried away)

gimme your ideas, say space 7 meters x 7 meters, single bedroom

here's one for starters, I like the wood and the outside bath lol

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

King Penda

Well I’ve now got 4/5 friends permanently liveing in moterhomes or vans.one sold his house for 130k and spunked close to 70k.he seems to be haveing fun in Scotland and Yorkshire but at 66 I think he could be in for a shock come winter.some of these log cabins are superb but ultimately surlely a large caravan is cheaper and you can decorate it how you want

• Agree 2

nirvana
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, King Penda said:

Well I’ve now got 4/5 friends permanently liveing in moterhomes or vans.one sold his house for 130k and spunked close to 70k.he seems to be haveing fun in Scotland and Yorkshire but at 66 I think he could be in for a shock come winter.some of these log cabins are superb but ultimately surlely a large caravan is cheaper and you can decorate it how you want

yeah I've thought about the van lots but like you say they cost a flippin fortune at the mo cos it's 'all the rage' and actually most of the stuff folks put in em are a load of cac, literally, who wants to shit in an enclosed space then go to sleep in it? bonkers......same with the shower, waste of space, get washed outside, cook outside, eat outside, live outside as much as you can!!!....bunch of muppets lol

Edited by nirvana
  • Agree 1

King Penda
2 minutes ago, nirvana said:

yeah I've thought about the van lots but like you say they cost a flippin fortune at the mo cos it's 'all the rage' and actually most of the stuff folks put in em are a load of cac, literally, who wants to shit in an enclosed space then go to sleep in it? bonkers......same with the shower, waste of space, get washed outside, cook outside, eat outside, live outside as much as you can!!!....bunch of muppets lol

Some have showers at work and change location every weekend 

• Bogged 1

King Penda
29 minutes ago, nirvana said:

Someone spending 200k on a new build

• Bogged 1

Heart's Ease
3 hours ago, Andersen said:

Anyone got any websites for tiny living design to use in a small house? I'm hoping to be doing something like this quite soon and am looking for inspiration.

https://tinyliving.com/

https://www.countryliving.com/home-design/g1887/tiny-house/

:ph34r:

Are you building the house and/or wanting ideas how to design it?  Some lovely ideas there.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Andersen said:

Anyone got any websites for tiny living design to use in a small house? I'm hoping to be doing something like this quite soon and am looking for inspiration.

I've been looking into 'small living spaces' so chuck your ideas in here...

Are you looking at something on wheels? that doesn't make sense to me anymore especially in convid world

which country?

some thoughts off the top of my head

concrete can be a bit ugly but it's cheap, build a frame with precast concrete posts, then fill the walls in with aircrete blocks for good insulation. For the roof use square metal tubes and a cheap covering, recycled rubber would be good and you can insulate that too

don't worry about any 'services'.....use solar panels for leccy, collect your own rain water for the bog and washing

I recently discovered you can just make a 'shit pit' using precast concrete cylinders and it doesn't smell apparently lol, drain em into a reed bed after that

if you're in a warm climate you don't actually need much inside space, have a decent shaded outside area using the roof overhang ie this pic from one of your links looks good BUT all this wood is unnecessary and adds expense, just use the aforementioned metal

oh yeah there's some free software called sweet home 3d to design your floor layout and it also produces a 3D view

Screenshot_2021-08-17_20-23-47.png

Edited by nirvana
  • Informative 1

Andersen
31 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

Are you building the house and/or wanting ideas how to design it?  Some lovely ideas there.

I'm looking at options for a 35sq/m single storey terrace (semi-derelict with colapsed roof).

Options are 1. Replace the roof (cheap), 2. buldoze it and rebuild as a 2 storey townhouse (plans were approved years ago then shelved, end result will be bigger than I need), 3 buldoze and build 50% of a 2 storey house to give single storery with patio on the roof (2nd storey can be added in the future if wanted/needed)

I'm still deciding what to do so now is the perfect time to introduce bright ideas to the project.

ps I'm also looking for solar powered aircon so any sites / suggestions welcome ;) 

34 minutes ago, nirvana said:

I've been looking into 'small living spaces' so chuck your ideas in here...

Are you looking at something on wheels? that doesn't make sense to me anymore especially in convid world

which country?

some thoughts off the top of my head

concrete can be a bit ugly but it's cheap, build a frame with precast concrete posts, then fill the walls in with aircrete blocks for good insulation. For the roof use square metal tubes and a cheap covering, recycled rubber would be good and you can insulate that too

don't worry about any 'services'.....use solar panels for leccy, collect your own rain water for the bog and washing

I recently discovered you can just make a 'shit pit' using precast concrete cylinders and it doesn't smell apparently lol, drain em into a reed bed after that

if you're in a warm climate you don't actually need much inside space, have a decent shaded outside area using the roof overhang ie this pic from one of your links looks good BUT all this wood is unnecessary and adds expense, just use the aforementioned metal

oh yeah there's some free software called sweet home 3d to design your floor layout and it also produces a 3D view

Screenshot_2021-08-17_20-23-47.png

Sweet Home 3D is bloody excellent, quick and easy to pick up. Perfect for walkthroughs.

Personally still taken with container based designs,  keep the lashing points and it can be picked up and moved any time you want to if necessary.

• Agree 1

JoeDavola

I love these small spaces and the thought and 'engineering' that goes into making the most of them.

I've always liked the idea of a 'convertable' space - so if you want to use it as a dining area, or an area to exercise, or an area to watch telly, then you can do all these things. But to do that you need a room that is quite big to start off which is a rarity in UK homes.

It's really how my little (55m2) apartment is - one bedroom, one living room/kitchen but both are really big so it feels bigger than most houses two or three times the size of it.

I stayed in a room in NYC about 10 years ago that was a really good size with heigh ceillings and it had a queen sized double bed that folded up into the wall so you could use the room as a 'living' room when you weren't sleeping - that was a pretty cool idea I thought and the bed was really comfy.

Another example is this flat that recently went on sale - the kitchen/dining area is 6.53m x 4.57m (21' 5" x 15' 0") which is much bigger than most living areas, but if I had that I'd have some fold out table tucked away in the kitchen area so I could use the whole lving space, which I'd then move out and temporarily move one of the sofas over on the rare occasion that several people were over to eat.

image.thumb.png.f50042fd32af0fd6493a41e32eadf7bb.png

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Personally still taken with container based designs,  keep the lashing points and it can be picked up and moved any time you want to if necessary.

yeah I do like a lot of stuff that folks have done with containers BUT after living in lots of different houses over the years one thing I have learnt is that square rooms work so much better than long rectangular rooms.......maybe in warmer climates where you don't need a fire or be indoors for so much time you can get away with them more....

I've slept in an uninsulated metal van at very cold temps and the thought of having a house with metal walls just sounds like a bit of dumbass idea to me....and takes me back to why I now think 'van life' is a bit daft too, get a bloody pop up tent! 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Andersen said:

solar powered aircon

this is the solution for aircon lol, seriously it doesn't 'dry' the air out, defo give it a try first methinks

Edited by nirvana

16 minutes ago, Andersen said:

I'm looking at options for a 35sq/m single storey terrace (semi-derelict with colapsed roof).

Options are 1. Replace the roof (cheap), 2. buldoze it and rebuild as a 2 storey townhouse (plans were approved years ago then shelved, end result will be bigger than I need), 3 buldoze and build 50% of a 2 storey house to give single storery with patio on the roof (2nd storey can be added in the future if wanted/needed)

I'm still deciding what to do so now is the perfect time to introduce bright ideas to the project.

ps I'm also looking for solar powered aircon so any sites / suggestions welcome ;) 

I think 3 is likely out, does not make much sense, you probably need to re-do the foundations unless lucky to accommodate a two storey design, doing the 2nd floor separately going cost way more and more hassle than just building in one go, especially if you have forked up for whole new foundations.

Would get some advice from someone that knows the local market and do all the sums, also are you going to stay there or move on?

6 minutes ago, nirvana said:

yeah I do like a lot of stuff that folks have done with containers BUT after living in lots of different houses over the years one thing I have learnt is that square rooms work so much better than long rectangular rooms.......maybe in warmer climates where you don't need a fire or be indoors for so much time you can get away with them more....

I've slept in an uninsulated metal van at very cold temps and the thought of having a house with metal walls just sounds like a bit of dumbass idea to me....and takes me back to why I now think 'van life' is a bit daft too, get a bloody pop up tent! 

Yep, they are certainly some of the major downsides, two containers joined long length and a removable roof would not be quite as portable but doable.

Have a van and bought a decent quick erect tent myself.

• Bogged 1

8 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I love these small spaces.

I've always liked the idea of a 'convertable' space - so if you want to use it as a dining area, or an area to exercise, or an area to watch telly, then you can do all these things. But to do that you need a room that is quite big to start off which is a rarity in UK homes

spot on! with 'modern devices' you can do a lot with a relatively small space

due you should fook off abroad somewhere, find some land, build somewhere and just enjoy your freedom and whatever birds you can get hold of! get a bloody move on and get yer arse in gear before it's too late :P

JoeDavola
8 minutes ago, nirvana said:

spot on! with 'modern devices' you can do a lot with a relatively small space

due you should fook off abroad somewhere, find some land, build somewhere and just enjoy your freedom and whatever birds you can get hold of! get a bloody move on and get yer arse in gear before it's too late :P

Nah if you fook off somewhere then the best thing is to go full digital nomad and reduce your belongings as much as possible and rent a small flat.

Funny actually today my Dad was watching the various migrats, and locals that seemed to be the morbidly obese or the local smackheads, and said "what is there in this country for someone your age". First time he'd mentioned fucking off elsewhere.

• Informative 1

Heart's Ease
39 minutes ago, Andersen said:

I'll give way to @nirvana on the solar. I'm going to have a crack at a solar hot water heater he's posted.  Keeping a place cool without Aircon is thermal mass, shade, breezes and evaporation (I'm guessing, based on houses I've lived in and places I've visited).  Are you building it yourself?

If so,

wrt wood framed designs - Ali Dymock on YouTube has given me the confidence to get a tiny build going.

I see lots of container based homes on my algorithms on yt. Harder to sort the condensation than a wood framed property so I've stopped there.

Blockwork/bricks/stone - that's a whole different world. 

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

Ali Dymock on YouTube has given me the confidence to get a tiny build going.

good effort, you building something in the garden?

I'm convinced by concrete posts now, see what they're doing in these pics, use some precast concrete to get a structure up quick, then get a mixer in to pour into the cylinders which then become a platform for your raised floor, mastermind lol

you don't need the secondary cylinders, they were just used for aesthetics in this example

concrete posts2.png

concrete posts1.png

Edited by nirvana

11 hours ago, nirvana said:

I'm convinced by concrete posts now, see what they're doing in these pics, use some precast concrete to get a structure up quick, then get a mixer in to pour into the cylinders which then become a platform for your raised floor, mastermind lol

you don't need the secondary cylinders, they were just used for aesthetics in this example

Concrete forms for the pads is certainly one quick way to do it.  This channel has excellent timber frame build information - all more functional buildings but the basics and procedures are what is key, great tips on layout, framing,making everything true and finishing.

Not sure availability of concrete forms plus you have fix to them, timber is exceedingly versatile in that respect respect. 

• Informative 1

Heart's Ease
10 hours ago, nirvana said:

Yup. An itch I've been wanting to scratch for years. Added to in my 30's by taking on board Your Money is Your Life/voluntary simplicity/Walden/tiny house community of Jay Schaeffer US influences.

I was really interested in Jay's houses but didn't like the external look of them. He did do one design I liked in a small shipping container (and I really started to look into that method) but the climate in Yorkshire put me off.  

Got closer to the designs I liked  when I found Deek a few years ago (bought the plans for his A frame cabin) 

https://tinyhouseblog.com/tiny-house-plans/deeks-transforming-a-frame-getaway-cabin/

https://youtube.com/user/relaxshacksDOTcom

But...the footprint and height too big for our narrow plot.

Sally Coulthard's book got me closer again to a design and had lots of 'how to' information. Drawn a lot of inspiration from that book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Build-Shed-Sally-Coulthard/dp/1786272822

Final design is most similar to this cabin, but built to Ali Dymock's methods (warm roof & wall construction, EDPM roof). On quickjacks and a concrete pad.  Just pricing up for a stove for it for year round use.

^ that's a great build, beautiful series of videos about the build and his and his wife's channel are both worth a watch.

And this cube as our build is only eight foot square lol. He had a lot of fun making that. 

I've had much fun and enjoyment spending evenings over the last couple of winter on YouTube in the company of some remarkable people who've had the urge (or need) to build something.  The preparation for the build and hours spent focused on these and other projects on YouTube has tbh kept me sane over the past 18 months. Now I'm in the next stage of putting my drawings and plans into practice and learning the skills needed to pull the build off!

10 hours ago, nirvana said:

aframe6.jpg

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, Heart's Ease said:

but the climate in Yorkshire put me off. 

ha! I've lived in all the Yorkshires, don't think I'll be going back there in a hurry :P

I looked very seriously in to getting one of these...

eco-pod.png

Problem is the cost of land in the UK (and various planning headaches) means they were completely unviable.

http://tinyhouseblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/w2-450x325.jpg

They did a single dome version which would have been ideal. It was made out of woods and the tiles are reclaimed rubber tyres. Had solar capability and raid water reclaim system. I did actually see one in the flesh and it was brilliant.

Company is now no longer around, I suspect for the reasons I mentioned above.

In the end went for something very similar to this...

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-glounalough-north-rylane-co-cork/3489765

Mine is smaller, single bedroom, but in same level of repair. Didn't do much too it other than fix up to be liveable, but do have plans to remodel eventually. It's a proper stone structure but no bigger than most of the smaller places shown above.

The bonus is the 1 acre of land it came with. Might just build something like the ones mentioned above on the land eventually.

Something like this could be ideal for a remodel in to something ultra modern

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-milleenduff-rockchapel-co-cork/3240173

• Informative 3
  • Cheers 1