• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Malthus

Tube incident

Why would you be carrying a plastic bucket like that - presumably quite heavy considering what is usually carried in such buckets - inside a plastic carrier bag?

I can only think that you were wanting to conceal it? I doubt the plastic bag would be strong enough to actually carry the weight of the bucket.

That is my 10 second analysis of the situation. Certainly suspect until proved otherwise.

2 minutes ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

I'd guess the detonator went off but the main charge didn't. 

That would square with all the chemical burns from the dispersed charge.

1 minute ago, the gardener said:

Looks like quite a hot fire. Lithium battery overheating?

It is a possibility but odd location/container. You'd have a phone in your pocket or bag 99% of the time.

Wires - can see what looks like a cable tie on the handle of the bucket - again highly unusual, certainly looks like a device that has not gone off as intended.

5 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Fairy light in bottom left corner? Used to indicate that circuit is complete and device armed? Or someone just getting ready for Christmas. Hmm...

Would guess the chemical compound/mix is unstable at elevated temps - hence insulated bag used, ignition by heat/flame, maybe fairy lights or fuse wire devices that look like fairy lights and battery to overload wire and set off. You'd want the whole lot of go up as quickly as possible so if slow(ish) burn and not exploding substance then multiple ignition points throughout the mix. 

Edited by onlyme

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

Daily Mail is calling it a 'home made explosive device' - why used one word when several will do.

It is a BOMB!

Well they could be right in this case - not so much a bomb more a chemical roman candle to disperse caustic gas / liquids / solids / heat / flame to fill the carriage.

That's my tube line - that's probably the exact train I used to get when I worked in central London a few years back. I hope nobody I know was on that train. Should help the argument I've been having with my husband about changing teams at work to one that's based in central London. I've said that really I don't want him going in at all because of safety concerns and also how hard it is to get back if something happens. I've kind of agreed to him going in occasionally (max once a week) as long as it's never on a Friday.