DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Injuries

Stuey

While doing my usual hammer grip +15kg pull ups on Tuesday I felt a twinge in my neck. It's never been 100% since an incident in 2006. Finished the session,and Wednesday's.

Rolling over in bed isn't as easy, two seconds rather than one, but else am trying to keep going as usual.

Did my usual +15kg pull ups and +50kg dips today no issue.

Just wondering what our board's experience with injuries is, best remedies, etc.

Anyone mentioning RICE gets the Plymouth.

58 minutes ago, Stuey said:

While doing my usual hammer grip +15kg pull ups on Tuesday I felt a twinge in my neck. It's never been 100% since an incident in 2006. Finished the session,and Wednesday's.

Rolling over in bed isn't as easy, two seconds rather than one, but else am trying to keep going as usual.

Just wondering what our board's experience with injuries is, best remedies, etc.

I go to osteopaths, you're looking at close to £50 these days ... or go online and follow youtube ... try turning your head fully in each direction and hold for 10 seconds x 3 times ... then push your head to the left/right using the opposite hand and forcing it against it x 3 times.

I always find ice packs do sweet FA.

I feel your pain though, as i woke up yesterday to severe pain in my tailbone which is at the top of my backside.

Its absolute agony when trying to stand up or sitting down, hence ive had 2 days lying down ... it could be due to the vaxx on Wednesday as i was fine prior to having that, but more likely to do with the squats and leg exercises i started on Saturday but i last exercised on Tuesday ...  Done a mere 5x5x40kg so as not to injure myself, and slowly wake up and strengthen my tendons and ligaments.

Unless its a case of just doing it in my sleep, fucken annoying as i was right up for getting back into the gym and now i'm Joey Deacons stunt double.

Get a load of co-codamol down you, they'll help get you to sleep if nothing else.

Edited by Hancock

1 hour ago, Stuey said:

So when you're not in the pub, you're down the gym? O.o

Edit:

Sorry not helpful.

The National Coof Service NHS have always been shit with muscular - skeletal injury but they are much worse now.

I've had injuries that were always sorted by my osteopath so I second Hancock. The latest being an Achilllez injury.

What the guy did for that injury was intense manipulation of the tendon and calf muscle. Then I was instructed to ice and stretch until the next treatment. The osteopath cut my recovery time by weeks.

Edited by tlc

Bear Hug

Pulled a muscle in my upper back 3 weeks ago while balancing on a paddle board. 

Camping as well, somehow made it much worse night after when sleeping on inflatable bed. 

Recovery has been very slow. Not because of gym but during sleep. Get better during the day, then wake up in some weird position with a twisted neck in the middle of the night. Every night! 

Snake Plissken

Heat can help a lot rather than cold especially in the neck or back and f the muscle is like all stiff or in spasm, it helps relax it. Get a wheat bag you can throw in the microwave or a hot water bottle.

Also use deep relief which is like deep heat with ibuprofen gel, put that on a few times a day. If i gets really bad and lingers I take naproxen for few days and generally clears it, you need a prescription but can get it from online chemist.

Longer term I've found certain movements with weights are more likely to cause a flare up like lifting weight above my head so I just don't do them anymore.

• Informative 1

Many injuries imo are "referred". 

So the location of the pain isn't necessarily the issue. 

Achilles for example can often be due to tight calf muscles. Work in them and the Achilles issue can disappear.

Do some online searching and you may find something similar for your neck. 

It's all connected after all. 

• Agree 1

Have friend who is a private cranial osteopath, the good ones are bloody amazing.  Neck/head  area might the just the right sort person to see. Trick is finding someone good, recommendation the best route though if they have a large successful practice chances are they are good.

I've got a pain in my heal atm, after watching a dozen youtube videos I'm still none the wiser as to whether it is Planta Fasciitis or Achilles Tendonitis, the pain is between where you would expect those two injuries to occur. No inflammation, redness, or tenderness even, just tightness in the heal and mild pain.

I've had it before and managed to run through it, but it feels worse this time, hopefully a few days rest will sort it out.

One percent
11 minutes ago, snaga said:

I've got a pain in my heal atm, after watching a dozen youtube videos I'm still none the wiser as to whether it is Planta Fasciitis or Achilles Tendonitis, the pain is between where you would expect those two injuries to occur. No inflammation, redness, or tenderness even, just tightness in the heal and mild pain.

I've had it before and managed to run through it, but it feels worse this time, hopefully a few days rest will sort it out.

Heel. The plantar thing is the arch. I think. 
anyhoo, stay away from “fitness”, it damages the body. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, One percent said:

Heel. The plantar thing is the arch. I think. 
anyhoo, stay away from “fitness”, it damages the body. 

The plantar thing can be further back, where the tissue attached to the heel, as the Achilles thing is usually a inch or so above the heel, it can also be lower down.

Either way, no apparent inflammation, so hopefully a few days staying away from fitness is just the fix I need :)

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, snaga said:

Get a roller and work on your calves. And lots of stretching of them. Tight calves are often the cause of these type of things. 

1 hour ago, ccc said:

Get a roller and work on your calves. And lots of stretching of them. Tight calves are often the cause of these type of things. 

Yes, working on it, pretty sure that's the root cause.

Rolling and massage mostly, never been good at stretching, and not convinced it helps for limited range of motion exercises like endurance running, as opposed to say football or even dancing. 

stop_the_craziness
21 hours ago, ccc said:

I find the spiky massage balls are best for calves and hamstrings.  They seem to get deeper.  I use them in the same way as a roller (i.e. ball on the floor and moving the leg over it, rather than holding the ball in my hand)

For neck and shoulders I do a combination of regular stretches - I have a fab book called "the anatomy of stretching" and the neck/shoulder stuff in there is brilliant.  I also recommend ischemic techniques:

Ischemic compression is a therapy technique used in manual therapy, where blockage of blood in an area of the body is deliberately made, so that a resurgence of local blood flow will occur upon release.[1]

Ischemic compression is commonly applied to trigger points, in what is known as trigger point therapy, where enough sustained pressure is applied to a trigger point with a tolerable amount of pain, and as discomfort is reduced, additional pressure is gradually given.

See also[edit]

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

JoeDavola

There is a nerve running from my scapula up the right hand side of my neck into my face and down my arm that is my 'weak spot', and has been flaring up recently especially when I lie down, it's a fucker.

So you have my sympathies OP.

It's this single 'weak spot' that basically stops me doing any serious lifting as every time I try it flares up and the nerve pain radiates across my face feels like someone's squeezing the right hand side of my face. Obviously a trapped nerve somewhere.

On 15/08/2021 at 20:46, ccc said:

I found a knot deep in my calf, been working on it on and off today with roller and thumbs, achilles feels much better, calf feels like it's gone 12 rounds with Tyson 😁

1 hour ago, snaga said:

I found a knot deep in my calf, been working on it on and off today with roller and thumbs, achilles feels much better, calf feels like it's gone 12 rounds with Tyson 😁

That's the way to do it :D

Take it you've got a firm roller ? 

I started off years ago with a foam one but they really are nothing like the real thing. 

21 minutes ago, ccc said:

That's the way to do it :D

Take it you've got a firm roller ? 

I started off years ago with a foam one but they really are nothing like the real thing. 

Yes, it's not foam, just using the term as it seems to be the thing.