DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Salt

steppensheep

steppensheep

I realised a long time ago there wasn't any convincing evidence that salt was bad for you. In particular, there was no evidence an individual can change his blood pressure by restricting salt intake. Haven't really being paying attention for the last decade or so.

Anyway stumbled an this Ray Peat fellow. Seems to have some quite contrarian ideas about diets - some of which aren't contraversial, but probably not well know to the general public, eg PUFAs (sunflower oil etc) bad.

He's got a web site and a forum and seems to have been around a while. "Unfortunately" it's mainly micro biology without any particular underlying theme that could be summarized under a few bullet points or in a book with a catchy title.

0sUzaY7.png.webp.c2f3f59951372e6cccf7956ae7dbe827.webp

• Agree 2
  • Informative 4

One percent
8 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

I realised a long time ago there wasn't any convincing evidence that salt was bad for you. In particular, there was no evidence an individual can change his blood pressure by restricting salt intake. Haven't really being paying attention for the last decade or so.

Anyway stumbled an this Ray Peat fellow. Seems to have some quite contrarian ideas about diets - some of which aren't contraversial, but probably not well know to the general public, eg PUFAs (sunflower oil etc) bad.

He's got a web site and a forum and seems to have been around a while. "Unfortunately" it's mainly micro biology without any particular underlying theme that could be summarized under a few bullet points or in a book with a catchy title.

Sensible. It’s mainly what we have been eating for millennia. I do like the idea of mexican coke. :)

steppensheep
4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Sensible. It’s mainly what we have been eating for millennia. I do like the idea of mexican coke. :)

You may be disappointed to learn, he means the fizzy pop. I think it's because it doesn't use high fructose corn syrup.

One percent
1 minute ago, steppensheep said:

You may be disappointed to learn, he means the fizzy pop. I think it's because it doesn't use high fructose corn syrup.

Ah. xD

on a more serious note, I often wonder whether it is the addition of corn syrup that has turned swathes of the western population into land whales. 

3 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I discovered Maldon sea salt a few decades ago, I have not looked back.

What about your wife?

• Lol 3

Hail the Tripod
On 14/08/2021 at 19:38, steppensheep said:

You definitely don’t want to be salt deficient. 

Interesting that salt deficiency can send your angiotensin system into a tailspin, which is presumably very, very bad if Spike proteins are hammering your ACE 2 receptors (and hospital food is very low salt).

On 14/08/2021 at 19:48, One percent said:

We get "Mexican" coke here, with just sugar rather than HFCS.

I keep an eye on Peat's work.  It goes contrary to everything I learned before, which is why I like it.

• Informative 1

Hail the Tripod
10 hours ago, Loki said:

We get "Mexican" coke here, with just sugar rather than HFCS.

You may be myth-taken. There are persistent rumours and some scientific evidence suggesting that Coca Cola very quietly swapped out cane sugar for HFCS in Mexico quite a while ago: https://healthland.time.com/2010/10/28/study-hey-hipsters-mexican-coke-might-be-a-myth/

• Informative 1

I quite often have meals with 10g of salt. Definitely helps a little bit in the gym, although water retention can be an issue!

• Agree 1

On 14/08/2021 at 20:48, One percent said:

I do like the idea of mexican coke

try sprinkling some on your gin and let us all know how you get on :Jumping:

• Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

JoeDavola

Yep as a nutrition nerd I never worry about how much salt I'm getting. We have taste buds that crave salt for a reason.

I'm aware of the work of Ray Peat too and find him an interesting character.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 3

Sasquatch

I might not eat cakes and chocolate but I do maintain a decent salt balance via a wonderful peanuts and crisps based diet.

I remember my dad telling me about his days in Iraq in the 1950's when on national service. I think all of the soldiers were given salt tablets.

• Informative 1

Was a sad tale (from the 50s?) about a young boy whose body couldn't retain salt. He had a huge appetite for salt. He had to go into hospital for a non diet related reason and they limited his salt intake. The poor bugger died.

Bear Hug

Does anyone else use half salt half potassium chloride?  I just assume I'd be low in potassium as I am on keto, so bought that from tesco. 

As I eat zero processed food, I'm still not sure if I use enough. A little on fried eggs and a bit on Chia seed breakfast. May be worth weighting whatever the RDA is to see if I'd get that amount. 

Can someone redpill me on this salt meme. I keep hearing people say we're eating too much salt and I can well believe it given the state of most Brits diets which consist of salty fast food. Surely it follows that if you eat healthily you'll get enough salt.

• Agree 1

SpectrumFX
17 minutes ago, spunko said:

Can someone redpill me on this salt meme. I keep hearing people say we're eating too much salt and I can well believe it given the state of most Brits diets which consist of salty fast food. Surely it follows that if you eat healthily you'll get enough salt.

Typically people have problems with inadequate salt in hot countries because they've sweated too much out. If you're somewhere hot for a while and you start to get a bit dizzy tip a little salt onto a wet finger and taste it. If you can't taste anything then you're not getting enough, and you should probably drink more margaritas.

If your diet is a little heavy in salt, then what'll happen for healthy people is that you'll be a bit more thirsty than you otherwise would have been, you'll drink something, and your body will sort it out.

The vast majority of people don't need to pay any attention at all to their salt intake.

Edited by SpectrumFX
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, SpectrumFX said:

Typically people have problems with inadequate salt in hot countries because they've sweated too much out. If you're somewhere hot for a while and you start to get a bit dizzy tip a little salt onto a wet finger and taste it. If you can't taste anything then you're not getting enough, and you should probably drink more margaritas.

If your diet is a little heavy in salt, then what'll happen for healthy people is that you'll be a bit more thirsty than you otherwise would have been, you'll drink something, and your body will sort it out.

The vast majority of people don't need to pay any attention at all to their salt intake.

Interesting. But I'm not sure if the majority of people =/- majority of Brits. Looking at a typical Dominos pizza, it contains 75% of your recommended daily salt intake. I'm assuming so many people are obese because they're scoffing Just Eat, and therefore eating too much salt.

Plus, Brits scoff a lot of gammon and bacon. IIRC one rasher of bacon has the same amount of salt as 5 bags of crisps. Most Brits are gonig to be scoffing 2 rashers a day and 2-3 bags of crisps.

SpectrumFX
26 minutes ago, spunko said:

Interesting. But I'm not sure if the majority of people =/- majority of Brits. Looking at a typical Dominos pizza, it contains 75% of your recommended daily salt intake. I'm assuming so many people are obese because they're scoffing Just Eat, and therefore eating too much salt.

Plus, Brits scoff a lot of gammon and bacon. IIRC one rasher of bacon has the same amount of salt as 5 bags of crisps. Most Brits are gonig to be scoffing 2 rashers a day and 2-3 bags of crisps.

The RDA for salt is probably lower than your minimum requirement.

In any event people on what are considered high salt diets will be fine, as long as they have normally functioning kidneys.

https://mcb.berkeley.edu/courses/mcb135e/kidneyfluid.html

• Agree 1

Hail the Tripod
27 minutes ago, spunko said:

Healthy people can shed salt very easy as long as they have access to fluid. You’ll just get thirsty and dump it all into urine. That’s why they used to put salted peanuts in pubs and bars, it’s the most palatable way of cramming customers full of salt, and so making them very, very thirsty.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Healthy people can shed salt very easy as long as they have access to fluid. You’ll just get thirsty and dump it all into urine. That’s why they used to put salted peanuts in pubs and bars, it’s the most palatable way of cramming customers full of salt, and so making them very, very thirsty.

Don't want to derail this thread but, that's just your body getting rid of excess nutrients. Why would you purposely take more of something your body gets rid of if taken in too high amounts?

Surely if anything it's harmless but redundant.

Just to clarify, my interest in this is because I think I've got some sort of salt sensitivity (bit of a tongue twister...).

Often I'll have something like say McDonalds chips and think, Christ, why are these laden with salt. Whereas other people put more salt on them. I've wondered if I have some sort of medical issue, I know someone who had the inverse (i.e. was salting his anchovies, I kid you not) and it turned out he had some sort of serious kidney condition.

6 hours ago, spunko said:

Just to clarify, my interest in this is because I think I've got some sort of salt sensitivity (bit of a tongue twister...).

Often I'll have something like say McDonalds chips and think, Christ, why are these laden with salt. Whereas other people put more salt on them. I've wondered if I have some sort of medical issue, I know someone who had the inverse (i.e. was salting his anchovies, I kid you not) and it turned out he had some sort of serious kidney condition.

I think it is just taste sensitivity, I m sure I read about this before, its why processed food manufacturers are slow to reduce salt content, their loyal customers are desensitised to the taste of salt, so any reduction in salt pisses off their customers as the food will taste bland.

• Agree 1

This reads a little bit like the bodybuilding forums asking whether 5 reps or 8 reps is best. Don't sweat the small stuff imo...