DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Door overhang quandary

spunko

Question

I have a timber framed garage with a room above, similar to the photo. Problem is that there's no overhang or anything above the door, so in winter the door swells up and can't be opened at all. I've tried sanding it down etc. Unlike the photo below I have about 50cm above the door to play with.

Has anyone got an idea (DIY) of how to resolve this please - I was considering a door canopy. Nothing too elaborate, really just a strip of oak that covers the door width, and is angled down by 30 degrees or so, with supports. 

My house is listed so I can't get anything like one of those plastic smoker's canopies sadly. Don't really want anything too elaborate or pricey.

19c16fcc00150ec2a3a29ac39cc41d14.jpg

11 answers to this question

Might only be a partial solution, especially high up and in any weather facing direction driving rain will at least touch the bottom of the door.  Properly sealing when the door is dry in the summer and applying the best water repelling finishes you can find combined with your suggestion may do it.

I've had to brace some large garage doors I am using for gates, they just swell up and the shiplap buckles. Something like metal bracing may help if the above does not work, that is questionable whether it would work and spoils the look 

Another way of getting round the problem is taking the door off, ripping down the length and taking a decent amount off to take account of any amount of expansion within reason and then using a secondary insulating strip/rubber as the seal, preferably routed and mounted into the door.This almost 100% would work and not compromise the door if fitted well.

Edited by onlyme
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

15 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Might only be a partial solution, especially high up and in any weather facing direction driving rain will at least touch the bottom of the door.  Properly sealing when the door is dry in the summer and applying the best water repelling finishes you can find combined with your suggestion may do it.

I've had to brace some large garage doors I am using for gates, they just swell up and the shiplap buckles. Something like metal bracing may help if the above does not work, that is questionable whether it would work and spoils the look 

Another way of getting round the problem is taking the door off, ripping down the length and taking a decent amount off to take account of any amount of expansion within reason and then using a secondary insulating strip/rubber as the seal, preferably routed and mounted into the door.This almost 100% would work and not compromise the door if fitted well.

Cheers. I applied 2 coats of Osmo clear 2-3 years ago. I will re-apply today, the bottom of the door seems to warp the most. I've also got loads of Danish oil but not sure if that's as good. Which would you recommend as the best of the best? Happy to buy some other brand if it will stop these problems :S

12 minutes ago, spunko said:

Danish oil

I think that has linseed oil in it?

mix 50/50 linseed oil and white spirit, it costs feck all (or it does over here) so you can keep applying coats till it won't take anymore

PS begs the question what sort of wood is it?

Edited by nirvana

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, nirvana said:

I think that has linseed oil in it?

mix 50/50 linseed oil and white spirit, it costs feck all (or it does over here) so you can keep applying coats till it won't take anymore

PS begs the question what sort of wood is it?

Oak. Cant remember if the door came treated or green.

Edited by spunko

4 minutes ago, spunko said:

Oak

yeah I've been using it on Oak, comes up beautiful! I was surprised how good it is at removing scratches from floors as well, I had some screamers from the previous old codger's removal party had obviously manhandled the furniture somewhat ie scratches and gouges in floor...

Edited by nirvana
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, spunko said:

Cheers. I applied 2 coats of Osmo clear 2-3 years ago. I will re-apply today, the bottom of the door seems to warp the most. I've also got loads of Danish oil but not sure if that's as good. Which would you recommend as the best of the best? Happy to buy some other brand if it will stop these problems :S

Osmo is pretty damned good, but more a waxy top dressing, @nirvana's idea of getting a diluted oil on is good too, you want something to penetrate and be absorbed first then a dressing on top.  Any gaps though and water will still get into the wood.

Just remembered this, think he recommended an Owatrol product.

Edited by onlyme
  • Cheers 1

it's interesting that geezer mentions that 'nice honey golden colour'.....I actually don't like that! natural is best and certainly not 'golden' yuck

this is some wood I found from Thailand when I was researching some stuff last week

it's called Pradu, that'll look great treated with some linseed oil, I did read something about lemon oil for wood too but not come across that

I know what else it is for me, I hate a sheen! so yeah after the oil treatment maybe seal it with some natural wax?

In recent years I've learnt how things need to 'breath'! Including houses....dunno how important it is for wood but I just think natural looking stuff looks 100x better than most 'manufactured' shite :)

pradu1.jpg

Edited by nirvana

Yeah I'm not a fan of tanned colours either.

Just done a close inspection on the door. It's a stable door ie two parts. the top part is fine, the problems are coming from ingress entering at the top of the lower door. There's a 2mm gap where the water is seeping in. Even though the top half of the door has a little overhang at the bottom, this clearly isn't sufficient..

I was thinking of getting some sort of wood filler to bung the gap but I guess it'll need to be oil based ie putty to stop water ingress. Wood filler dries hard so will be at risk of being eroded by water testing on it.. Anyone know of such a product? Don't want to just use external caulk will look pisspoor.

22 hours ago, spunko said:

Yeah I'm not a fan of tanned colours either.

Just done a close inspection on the door. It's a stable door ie two parts. the top part is fine, the problems are coming from ingress entering at the top of the lower door. There's a 2mm gap where the water is seeping in. Even though the top half of the door has a little overhang at the bottom, this clearly isn't sufficient..

I was thinking of getting some sort of wood filler to bung the gap but I guess it'll need to be oil based ie putty to stop water ingress. Wood filler dries hard so will be at risk of being eroded by water testing on it.. Anyone know of such a product? Don't want to just use external caulk will look pisspoor.

Linseed putty does not set hard AFAIK. Alternatively any option to fit a small brush bar?

15 minutes ago, Herby said:

Linseed putty does not set hard AFAIK. Alternatively any option to fit a small brush bar?

Cheers. I have in the end gone for some Screwfix wood silicone filler. Not sure if that will work, but only 99p.

• Cheers 1