DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

show us your desktop yee geeky git

nirvana

I just bought an M.2 ssd cos it is like really small and just screws into my MB

Installed an OS in about 15 mins BUT it looks nowt like my usual XFCE desktop.......so I started getting all geeky wondering what the differences are lol :Geek:

Anyway, take your mind off convid and the usual boredom in your life :P

Screenshot_2021-08-20_10-33-31.png

I need to get a new PC. Using my late mum's HP PC thats about 9 years old and it's very s L o W. 

• Bogged 1

swiss_democracy_for_all
1 hour ago, UmBongo said:

I need to get a new PC. Using my late mum's HP PC thats about 9 years old and it's very s L o W. 

Change the main drive to an SSD, it'll be twice or 3 times as fast and probably be good for another 9 years. :D

Might even have less built-in spying and tracking back doors at 9 years old too, not sure. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Bogged 1

1 hour ago, UmBongo said:

post us your desktop so we can all go ummm, arrrrrr

swissy knows about SSDs and bananas and Honda Civics :)

what spec is the CPU?

• Lol 1

39 minutes ago, nirvana said:

what spec is the CPU?

Not sure, Intel Pentium I think. :/ I'm at work so I`ll update later on this evening. 

Was thinking about getting a gaming pc, nothing too fancy but with an AMD processor. :)

52 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Was thinking about getting a gaming pc, nothing too fancy but with an AMD processor. :)

Ryzen 5 with integrated Radeon will sort you out

• Cheers 1

Here it is. Intel core i3 2120 or something.

(I'm not great with PCs as some people aren't with cars).

screen.png

• Cheers 1

dude you're rocking it there with a Core i3 and 6gb! could be a lot worse but yeah go for an upgrade with an SSD and a decent OS and you'll be flying high with the birds!:Jumping:

• Agree 1

hmmm I love PIs and I'm all for an ARM based desktop BUT they're not powerful enough at the moment and actually they're too expensive compared to Ryzen equivalents if you ask me....

I looked at something RK3399 based but then though nah I'll wait for RISC-V :P

Can anyone enlighten me as to why gaming PCs don't appear to have DVD drives? Do people download games these days? Am I still stuck in the early 21st century?

DVD drive would also be handy for me to download my CD collection onto a memory stick.

Edited by UmBongo
korekted a speling mistaik

One percent
11 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Can anyone enlighten me as to why gaming PCs don't appear to have DVD drives? Do people download games these days? Am I still stuck in the early 21st century?

DVD drive would also be handy for me to download my CD collection onto a memory stick.

My five year old laptop doesn’t have one either. Just buy a cheap usb one. I did, thinking it was essential but have never used it. 

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

On 30/08/2021 at 16:40, UmBongo said:

Average size of a game these days is 5-15 GB, AAA titles can exceed 50GB (or a lot more)

So basically a game won't fit on a DVD and so no point having them. Yes, people now download them (like that even on console, disk is the basics and then it downloads additional files).

• Cheers 1

On 30/08/2021 at 16:40, UmBongo said:

Yes they don't. You can always buy a USB BluRay burner for £60.

• Cheers 1

good to see some linux users around!

I've just set up a new NVME ssd and it feels even faster than normal! It's like really fast browsing tinterweb using firefox BUT I may have a problem normally using chromium and having like 60+ tabs open lol

And I think I paid about 30 quid for that CPU on special offer

Screenshot_2021-09-06_15-54-35.png

On 03/09/2021 at 22:32, Chewing Grass said:

PC was £200 new with no operating system

nice! your kernel is bloody ancient though! I'm on 5.13.13 :P

Cosmic Apple

Jealous of those who can run Linux. Too many titles (games) I play don't have ports, so its Windows only.

When I get a bigger home office space I think I'll split my PC workload in two so I can have a perma Linux system for day to day and keep the Windows box for games. I'd dual boot, but that just ends up with it being in Windows 100% of the time for convenience.

• 2 weeks later...
stop_the_craziness

My desktop is identical to when it came out of the box.  I have absolutely no idea what any of the icons are for and suspect they are probably bloatware.  Predictably my background picture is this:

Alaphillipe World Champion 2020.jpg

• Love 1