• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Central heating on

There; I've said it.

Though this is for the house and contents rather than for me.  After the wet summer and continuing wet autumn there will be damp in the walls and cavity which I can tell from the coldness of the walls on a warm day.  I'm leaving it on for a day and a half with the windows closed to heat the whole house and contents through, hopefully dry out the inner skin and cavity, and as it's a warm sunny day possibly the outer as well.

The first winter I was in the house I would only turn it on if a big jumper wasn't enough and ended up with white mould over half my clothes.  They were retrievable by washing or sponging where they couldn't be washed but it was a total pain and really unpleasant.

Humidity (nearly a day on) is down from over 70% to 60%

I find a dehumidifier is good. It means that in winter you can dry clothes inside without having to open windows (and let heat out).

A little known fact of dehumidiers is that they give out more heat than the electrical energy it consumes.. As well as the heat from the electric motor you also get the heat from water dropping to a lower energy state (ie a gas to liquid).

Second a dehumidifier Frank.  Our house (and all the ones in the street) seem to be affected by condensation. We have run a dehumidifier for a good few years now and it really does make a difference. 

We vary the way we run it depending on weather, activity etc.  

Yes, in those circumstances a dehumidifier running in the background makes a lot of sense, even the wasted heat from the condensation/expansion cycle and inefficiencies of the unit end up as what you want - heat in the house. Also the reduced humidity will make the place feel warmer - put on damp clothes for example and it takes a lot of heat to evaporate and drive off the water.

Edited by onlyme

Mine went on yesterday.  It's already started to get a bit cold up north. I was hungover yesterday morning and the thermometer in the lounge was showing 15deg so it went for on an hour.

10 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

A dehumidifier sounds like an excellent idea.

My non-consumable purchases this year comprise one fence panel so it wouldn't be an extravagance.

My heating came on this morning for twenty minutes, we are all getting colds.

We're not in damp territory yet but when we are I'll be preemptively running one of my *two delonghi Des 12s (recommendation)  24/7 in the background. Nothing better for moral than living in a dry house. 

*the other DES12 to be used in the log cabin to dry clothes. I've insulated the north and east walls, neatlv behind plasterboard and the roof so I'm hoping the residual and free heat (enthalpy) will allow me to seek refuge there in the coming months. 

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

My non-consumable purchases this year comprise one fence panel so it wouldn't be an extravagance.

Seems be some decent advice here for selection below. However, have used large and small cheap ones before, tbh both of them seem to work relative to the price/size/performance, the larger with programmable settings for auto humidity control and larger tanks and can pull large amounts of water out of a room. However they are big and unsightly and all the extraction is occurring from one point. Do wonder if a handful of cheap units on plug-in  timers (run them through night maybe) would be a better and cheaper solution, being able to discreetly place them in the most damp vulnerable areas - white often where you don't get decent airflow or there is a lot of additional dampness either through walls or internal water use. Problem with smaller units is the capacity and more frequent emptying.

https://www.fixmyroof.co.uk/videos-and-guides/condensation-cure/best-dehumidifier/

Ordered.  I've gone for the Argos value £100 10l daly extract one with 1.5l tank.  That's now two things I've bought this year; I'm doing my bit for the economy you tightwads!

Also following @onlyme's musings if it's not sufficient for the whole house then I can get a second one and put them at opposite ends of the house; which I wouldn't be keen upon doing if I'd just shelled out £300 for the first.

I've previously (but not this year) purchased the Argos value upright vacuum cleaner and iron and they are as good as the ones they replaced but half the price; hopefully this will continue their good run. 

The price differential for the iron was amazing, £4 compared to a standard £20.  the only difference to my prior £20 one is that it's slightly smaller and lighter.  As it will go the way of all my irons, I'll drop it one too many times and that will break the thermostat, then it is very much a case of "why pay more?".

11 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

You get about 1 kWh of "free" heat when you condense 1.5 litres of water. I've just emptied about 3 litres from my dehumidifier - that's about 2 kWh of free heat I've had :)

Tip it into your toilet cistern just after you've flushed the toilet and it's filling up and you'll have free water too!

Just now, karelian said:

Tip it into your toilet cistern just after you've flushed the toilet and it's filling up and you'll have free water too!

I use it where softened water is required. Steam iron, watering house plants etc 

Just now, karelian said:

I done one better than that! I used the water to mix chemicals for my fish tank! I need de ionised water and it fits the bill :)

4 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well, ok, I suppose, as long as it was only a plain stock panel and not something topped with decadent trellis work.

26 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Well, ok, I suppose, as long as it was only a plain stock panel and not something topped with decadent trellis work.

Plain panel.

Though thinking back the iron may have been bought at the start of this year so I'm pretty much turning into Viv Nicholson.

51ZdfzIccrL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

1 minute ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Not yet for us, though I am sitting by the pool in my swimming trunks in Spain...

What size are your trunks, that can accomodate a swimming pool?

9 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Ebac is the brand, most expensive but the most reliable. You can often find them in the Free ads. I bought mine second hand 20 years ago for £50. Since then it has run constantly and I chuck away about a gallon of water every 3 days. I say 'constantly', but it goes off daytime in summer but runs nights if the windows are shut.

They are easy to maintain yourself. In 20 years it has had 3 new fan motors as they are sealed units and the grease eventually dries out and they squeak annoyingly (motors are generic and about £40). I've also fitted a new PCB (f£100 from Ebac, which was rip off). I turned the heating on low 2 days ago to keep the water in the air rather than on the walls and so help the dehumidifier do its job.

Edited by Hopeful