DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Afghan refugees

humdrum

A family of them have moved onto the allotment next to me. They call themselves Somali but I reckon it is like Romanians calling themselves Poles, they are really of the Taliban tendency.

Anyway, one of the kids is a girl of about ten and she asked if she could have some of my windfalls and I said pray go ahead. I strongly approve of scrumping and have no idea what to do with potentially three hundredweight of apples. So all to the good.

And then she came back with her mum and a pot of basil. To be honest, I have never really cared for basil. It always reminds me of that painting by Millais with that doe eyed git Lorenzo trying his luck. Even so, I said ta very much and would she care for some rhubarb because I don't and if I try to give it away all my neighbours say oh Christ, here comes that annoying sod with truckloads of rhubarb again, lets go and hide.

But mum seemed to belong to some society for the adoration of rhubarb, because she took away industrial quantities of the stuff.

And then she returned with a pot of coriander, which she said, a pros of nothing, is good for fatties with diabetes. Her old man pitched up and stood in the background rolling his eyes and I thought, yes mate, some things are international. But even so, I thanked her and asked if the kids would like some blackberries, plums and whatever else was lying about? And she said yes and the kids (there is a boy of five as well who can eat for Somalia like all well bred five year old boys) started looting.

And a few days later they returned with an apple, rhubarb, blackberry, plum and whatever else the kids managed to find cake, which was delicious. And I told her so. Whereupon she returned with my weight in apple, rhubarb, blackberry, plum and whatever else the kids managed to find cake.

So, on the plus side I now have some lovely new neighbours. On the downside, the cake is delicious but I have spent the last week crapping through the eye of a needle

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, reformed nice guy said:

Well, you are paying for them so at least you get something back

Dunno as I am paying for them to be honest. The parents seem a pleasantly pushy pair and seem to want something better than a life on benefits. And the government pays me to stay alive so I can't see that I am contributing much to the nation's coffers. Anyway, the previous tenant was a home grown dole blogging drunk, so I reckon the new neighbours are a plus.

wherebee

Humdrum in a pub in 2042:

"Hey, I recognise that bloke on the news who just blew up Wembley! He's that kid from the allotment"

bet you a tenner.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 3

reformed nice guy
18 hours ago, humdrum said:

Dunno as I am paying for them to be honest. The parents seem a pleasantly pushy pair and seem to want something better than a life on benefits. And the government pays me to stay alive so I can't see that I am contributing much to the nation's coffers. Anyway, the previous tenant was a home grown dole blogging drunk, so I reckon the new neighbours are a plus.

Doesnt matter. The average earnings for Afghanis will likely to be similar or worse than Pakistanis, which is below the UK average. This brings down the overall prosperity of the UK and increases the tax burden on the rest of us. Either statistics are useful and we use them, or we dont.

One day you will come to need the state. Perhaps a heart attack or something, and you will wish that there were more resources available

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, reformed nice guy said:

Doesnt matter. The average earnings for Afghanis will likely to be similar or worse than Pakistanis, which is below the UK average. This brings down the overall prosperity of the UK and increases the tax burden on the rest of us. Either statistics are useful and we use them, or we dont.

One day you will come to need the state. Perhaps a heart attack or something, and you will wish that there were more resources available

I do need the state. I have a bad heart, diabetes, and most everything else except woodworm. So far I have had no complaints about the NHS, other than the relentlessly upbeat approach of the medical staff who prod and poke me and insist that I get better rather than be left to go pleasantly to pieces as I would like.

Dunno about the financing. Maybe the NHS is sending the bills to Afghanistan? Either way, I have not gone short.

The way I see it, there are a lot of folk in Afghanistan who might not survive contact with the new regime. And if we can't be arsed to offer them asylum then we are a sad bunch of bastards who are doing more harm to our country than any number of religious nut cases we might import

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, humdrum said:

Dunno about the financing. Maybe the NHS is sending the bills to Afghanistan? Either way, I have not gone short.

The way I see it, there are a lot of folk in Afghanistan who might not survive contact with the new regime. And if we can't be arsed to offer them asylum then we are a sad bunch of bastards who are doing more harm to our country than any number of religious nut cases we might import

Now I know you are on the wind up. 

swiss_democracy_for_all
On 21/08/2021 at 15:15, humdrum said:

A family of them have moved onto the allotment next to me. They call themselves Somali but I reckon it is like Romanians calling themselves Poles, they are really of the Taliban tendency.

Anyway, one of the kids is a girl of about ten and she asked if she could have some of my windfalls and I said pray go ahead. I strongly approve of scrumping and have no idea what to do with potentially three hundredweight of apples. So all to the good.

And then she came back with her mum and a pot of basil. To be honest, I have never really cared for basil. It always reminds me of that painting by Millais with that doe eyed git Lorenzo trying his luck. Even so, I said ta very much and would she care for some rhubarb because I don't and if I try to give it away all my neighbours say oh Christ, here comes that annoying sod with truckloads of rhubarb again, lets go and hide.

But mum seemed to belong to some society for the adoration of rhubarb, because she took away industrial quantities of the stuff.

And then she returned with a pot of coriander, which she said, a pros of nothing, is good for fatties with diabetes. Her old man pitched up and stood in the background rolling his eyes and I thought, yes mate, some things are international. But even so, I thanked her and asked if the kids would like some blackberries, plums and whatever else was lying about? And she said yes and the kids (there is a boy of five as well who can eat for Somalia like all well bred five year old boys) started looting.

And a few days later they returned with an apple, rhubarb, blackberry, plum and whatever else the kids managed to find cake, which was delicious. And I told her so. Whereupon she returned with my weight in apple, rhubarb, blackberry, plum and whatever else the kids managed to find cake.

So, on the plus side I now have some lovely new neighbours. On the downside, the cake is delicious but I have spent the last week crapping through the eye of a needle

I suspect you would know the difference.

Here is a helpful diagram.

image.png.ee56438aba4201cb2ac3c98a6e7a3673.png

• Lol 3

wherebee
13 hours ago, humdrum said:

I do need the state. I have a bad heart, diabetes, and most everything else except woodworm. So far I have had no complaints about the NHS, other than the relentlessly upbeat approach of the medical staff who prod and poke me and insist that I get better rather than be left to go pleasantly to pieces as I would like.

suicidal benevolence is the official term.

"I feel sorry for those people, so am going to fuck myself and my blood over to help them'.

It's the western disease.

Do you know what the average chinese person would think?

"fuck them.  are they related to me, or a close contact of my family?  If not, fuck them, and I will loot the corpses".

Guess which world view is more likely to succeed in the long term?

• Agree 2
  • Lol 1

Libspero

I’m quite divided internally on this.

At a personal / selfish level,  I don’t believe net immigration is a benefit to the UK after you trade off the effects of increasing population density on countryside, housing, facilities, available resources and quality of life. If anything we could benefit from a population drop. 

In that vein I have no time for economic migrants like the ones at Calais..  it doesn’t make sense to import poverty,  better to help other nations improve (if they want out help). 

On the other hand again,  I do have strong sympathy for genuine people in HongKong and Afghanistan who are having their countries pulled out from under them.  I don’t know how to reconcile that..  we can’t physically bring all of them to the UK (nor should we),  yet somehow I feel it is our duty to try to help them in some way.

Edited by Libspero
  • Agree 1

ashestoashes
1 hour ago, Libspero said:

I’m quite divided internally on this.

At a personal / selfish level,  I don’t believe net immigration is a benefit to the UK after you trade off the effects of increasing population density on countryside, housing, facilities, available resources and quality of life. If anything we could benefit from a population drop. 

In that vein I have no time for economic migrants like the ones at Calais..  it doesn’t make sense to import poverty,  better to help other nations improve (if they want out help). 

On the other hand again,  I do have strong sympathy for genuine people in HongKong and Afghanistan who are having their countries pulled out from under them.  I don’t know how to reconcile that..  we can’t physically bring all of them to the UK (nor should we),  yet somehow I feel it is our duty to try to help them in some way.

how many should we let in for you to feel we're doing the right thing ? It's proven that poverty leads to early death, what about the miilions of people in this country literally sentenced to an early death by evil capitalists keeping them in poverty ?

• Agree 1

Libspero
24 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

how many should we let in for you to feel we're doing the right thing ? It's proven that poverty leads to early death, what about the miilions of people in this country literally sentenced to an early death by evil capitalists keeping them in poverty ?

Well that's a little bit of a strawman,  I said I didn't think we should repatriate them to the UK..  there are simply too many.

That said,  Hong Kong was a British colony with British subjects..  I feel we have a duty to help them.  Similarly in Afghanistan,  not "our people",  but since we (hat tip to Blair) have been instrumental in causing the current instability there,  we do have to take some responsibility for it.

I honestly have no idea how to help them though..   it's pretty tragic at a human level.

Poverty in the UK is an entirely different issue, as well as being subjective/relative and somewhat self inflicted. 

On 23/08/2021 at 09:10, Libspero said:

That said,  Hong Kong was a British colony with British subjects..  I feel we have a duty to help them.  Similarly in Afghanistan,  not "our people",  but since we (hat tip to Blair) have been instrumental in causing the current instability there,  we do have to take some responsibility for it.

Not saying that isn't true, but the Taliban were in charge when US/UK forces arrived, so it's pretty much just returned to how it was.

Libspero
33 minutes ago, gilf said:

Not saying that isn't true, but the Taliban were in charge when US/UK forces arrived, so it's pretty much just returned to how it was.

True.

But when everything was Taliban,  everyone was used to living under Taliban..  everyone had carved out a routine, a living, they knew the rules and how to survive.

We (the US) went in there and started Westernising and creating our own power structure. People stopped doing their previous jobs and started taking the US dollar..  over the past 20 years they will have built their lives around that.

Now almost over night the money has dried up,  the jobs have dried up..  and now people don't know if the Taliban are gong to start cutting the heads off people who worked in government,  who taught girls in schools,  who adopted any Western norms.   There must be, or will be,  widespread destitution while the rebalancing takes place and people try to find work and money from the Taliban without endangering their own and their families lives.

A lot of people there must be facing fear and uncertainty at the moment..

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Libspero said:

A lot of people there must be facing fear and uncertainty at the moment..

Was taking a devils advocate position really.

Like you say not sure what we can really do about it. We can't accept several million Afghans.

• Agree 2

sarahbell
7 hours ago, gilf said:

Was taking a devils advocate position really.

Like you say not sure what we can really do about it. We can't accept several million Afghans.

We have drowned under a sea of migrants and yet still we do not train people to replace the influx of needed workers.

Everyone with a degree at 21 and not one of them wants to wipe arses in a care home.

• Agree 1

dillinger
On 21/08/2021 at 14:15, humdrum said:

Cheaper than Dildos 😎