DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Share trading platform

Hancock

Can anyone recommend a share trading platform they use.

@sancho panzamentioned Saxo the other day when i asked about buying XOP ETF, but i've looked at their fees and they seem astronomical.
https://uk.stockbrokers.com/review/saxo-capital-markets

I'm presuming they're being paid to say IG are great, so take this recommendation with a pinch of salt.
https://uk.stockbrokers.com/guides/share-dealing-accounts

But safety of the platform and the funds is of great importance, as feel odd to open an account online and ship my life savings in there, when some scammer can copy such a site these days.

Edited by Hancock

4 hours ago, janch said:

I use AJ Bell and they seem OK so far and not too expensive plus they have most things you want to buy.

Ive got my SIPP/ISA with them but it seems limited as to what i can buy.

15 minutes ago, Hancock said:

Ive got my SIPP/ISA with them but it seems limited as to what i can buy.

Iweb?...were a one off payment of £20 plus £5 buy/sell each time, not sure what they are now. No fancy website but have a reasonable range.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

Iweb?...were a one off payment of £20 plus £5 buy/sell each time, not sure what they are now. No fancy website but have a reasonable range.

Cheers but seems to be high forex charges.

image.png.1fab0d603d0ab68b20bf10f949c48aba.png

I'm very happy with both IG.com and Interactive Brokers.

I use IG for their flexible ISA.  You can take money out as long as you return it the same tax year without affecting your annual ISA allowance.   Not all ISAs allow this.  You can trade most stocks European, UK and US stocks, though they don't seem to off Canadian or Aussie stocks last time I checked.. a shame if you're buying miners.

I also use IG for spread betting.  useful for taking positions in commodities etc for short or medium term moves.  Their charts are awesome too. 

Interactive Brokers is the Daddy of them all..  Cheapest, most flexible and stable, offering everything on every global market, super cheap forex.  The only limit is they don't do an ISA, but they do a good SIPP with more tradable products than anywhere else.  

And you'll likely hate their super-complex platform until you figure it out... then you'll love it. 

Edited by MvR
  • Cheers 1

Talking Monkey
23 hours ago, MvR said:

I use IG for their flexible ISA.  You can take money out as long as you return it the same tax year without affecting your annual ISA allowance.   Not all ISAs allow this.  You can trade most stocks European, UK and US stocks, though they don't seem to off Canadian or Aussie stocks last time I checked.. a shame if you're buying miners.

I also use IG for spread betting.  useful for taking positions in commodities etc for short or medium term moves.  Their charts are awesome too. 

Interactive Brokers is the Daddy of them all..  Cheapest, most flexible and stable, offering everything on every global market, super cheap forex.  The only limit is they don't do an ISA, but they do a good SIPP with more tradable products than anywhere else.  

And you'll likely hate their super-complex platform until you figure it out... then you'll love it. 

Is their app easier to use, the desktop demo thing I downloaded I couldn't work out so gave up

• Agree 1

Just now, Talking Monkey said:

Is their app easier to use, the desktop demo thing I downloaded I couldn't work out so gave up

Interactive Brokers you mean?  Hard to say, but probably not. I'm not a fan of the app myself.  

You might have better luck with the browser based trading platform I guess?  That looks the simplest of all.

As for the TWS desktop platform, it's completely customisable, so you can turn off all the features you don't use, and re-arrange things how you like.  It's undoubtably a steep learning curve though.  I seem to remember @Harley saying he had similar issues to start with, before it all clicked and now he's a big fan too.

There are quite a few tutorials on YouTube which could help too.

Talking Monkey
7 minutes ago, MvR said:

Interactive Brokers you mean?  Hard to say, but probably not. I'm not a fan of the app myself.  

You might have better luck with the browser based trading platform I guess?  That looks the simplest of all.

As for the TWS desktop platform, it's completely customisable, so you can turn off all the features you don't use, and re-arrange things how you like.  It's undoubtably a steep learning curve though.  I seem to remember @Harley saying he had similar issues to start with, before it all clicked and now he's a big fan too.

There are quite a few tutorials on YouTube which could help too.

Yes was IB, I'll give them another go see if I can wrap my head round it. Cheers for the tip on the tutorials 

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
sleepwello'nights

Since The Share Centre were sold to Interactive Investor I've not got a share dealing ISA. 

After some thought I've decided to go with a flat rate platform. There are three that seem suitable. Do you have any thoughts on them?

• Halifax    £36 pa £9.50 per trade
  • Lloyds    £40 pa £11.00 per trade
  • HSBC     £42 pa   £10.50 per trade

I'm typically a buy and hold investor so share dealing will be minimal and I will be looking at attempting a a high yield portfolio. I'll tend to restrict my investments to FTSE 100 and keep to those with a dividend yield above 3%.

I may dabble with some riskier stocks on occassion. 

hapax legomenon

Another recommendation for AJ Bell. Problem with the free platforms like Freetrade or Trading121 is that you are trading blind, not actually knowing the price you are buying/selling at until the trade is done.

On 24/08/2021 at 18:31, MvR said:

Anyone got any better tips that H+L? Im finding their monthly platform fees are so high for funds. I also like to buy funds that are available though the platforms.

I use interactive brokers but a lot of the stuff isnt available to UK investors, ie US ETFs, certain shares and crypto. So im covered for shares, but looking for a better place to buy funds. Anyone got any tips?

1 hour ago, Green Devil said:

Anyone got any better tips that H+L? Im finding their monthly platform fees are so high for funds. I also like to buy funds that are available though the platforms.

I use interactive brokers but a lot of the stuff isnt available to UK investors, ie US ETFs, certain shares and crypto. So im covered for shares, but looking for a better place to buy funds. Anyone got any tips?

Interactive Brokers offer almost every exchange traded financial instrument in the world, included all foreign shares, ETFs etc.. Maybe you're thinking of "Interactive Investors", a totally different company.

https://www.interactivebrokers.co.uk/en/home.php

They don't do crypto though... that's a whole different ball game.

Edited by MvR

9 hours ago, MvR said:

Interactive Brokers offer almost every exchange traded financial instrument in the world, included all foreign shares, ETFs etc.. Maybe you're thinking of "Interactive Investors", a totally different company.

https://www.interactivebrokers.co.uk/en/home.php

They don't do crypto though... that's a whole different ball game.

No. Im thinking of the right one. Ib dont do USA etfs to UK investors. Ie spy, dia, gdx, blah blah. 

15 minutes ago, Green Devil said:

No. Im thinking of the right one. Ib dont do USA etfs to UK investors. Ie spy, dia, gdx, blah blah. 

Ah.. sorry. I see what you mean.  That's the KIDD rules, not down to the broker.  

I forgot about it because I do trade US ETFs in my UK IB account, see below.

The way to do it is to enter the position with options, and then being assigned the ETF when a put I've sold expires in the money.  

The KIDD rules only say you can't buy or short the ETF directly, not that you can't hold a long or short position in them, or be assigned a position.  You can always close an ETF position directly of course. 

243753185_Screenshot2021-10-21at20_43_07.png.ebb0f3ed131e3b2e75ace3e530abf2a0.png

Edited by MvR
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

25 minutes ago, nirvana said:

@MvRhave you ever used ninjatrader?

I haven't used it myself, but I know its been around a long time, and a few of the traders I used to learn from online use it.  It's got a very good reputation, and if I day traded/scalped futures it would definitely consider it.

Personally, my futures trading is mostly limited to taking medium-term ( 30-90 days ) futures options positions in SPX or other popular futures contracts for income, so I mostly do that in in my IB or TastyWorks accounts.. not necessarily because they are better platforms for this, but because that's where my money is, and using fewer accounts gives me more flexibility to hedge things off against each other, and use my capital more efficiently. 

Edited by MvR
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I've just signed up with Fineco. https://finecobank.co.uk/public/

ok interesting, any experience with IG and how these compare?

CFDs lets roll BRO! :Jumping:

add....it's run by Italians, they're the biggest crooks on the planet, just check out Draghi and his mates.....and of course el Papa xD

Edited by nirvana

• 1 month later...
Lightly Toasted

I've been using x-o.co.uk, the online platform of Jarvis Investment Management Ltd.

http://www.jarvisinvest.co.uk/

https://www.x-o.co.uk/

Next-to-nothing in the way of frills but the ISA is cheap to run:

Dealing commission    £5.95
ISA administration fee    Free
Junior ISA administration fee    Free
Transfer in of shares    Free
Non-activity fee    Free
Certificated withdrawal of shares from nominee (re-registration) and
transfers out of shares from your account (per stock)    £15.00 + VAT
ISA and Junior ISA account closure fee    £50.00 + VAT
Late payment administration charge    £20.00 + VAT
Attendance at shareholders meetings    £20.00 + VAT
Review and dispute investigation (per occasion)    £25.00 + VAT
Unpaid cheque fee    £50.00 + VAT

• 1 month later...

I have a totally non performing cash ISA. I tolerated the crap interest rate until now but inflation is really starting to hit me. I thought I would transfer it out of the bank where it currently is and put it somewhere like HL as a stocks and shares ISA. Only because I have heard of HL and too lazy to explore every single provider for the best deal.

HL have a transfer wizard it says before you start, check this

• It’s a good idea to check if you’ll have large exit fees or will lose valuable guarantees or benefits before transferring.

Surprisingly difficult to look through my current terms and conditions for this and I finally had to phone the bank who said how weird we have never heard of any provider doing any such thing.

Now I need to know if HL will charge me if I ever want to leave them. Reams of terms and conditions PDFs but again no clear answer. Anyone know?

Bobthebuilder
1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

I have a totally non performing cash ISA. I tolerated the crap interest rate until now but inflation is really starting to hit me.

I am in a similar situation, have approx 100K currently sat in a cash ISA, need to do something with it soon. Have a SIPP with HL, like that a lot, easy to use / navigate. The current stock's ISA I have with Halifax £36 per year with £9.50 trades, but it's a rubbish platform, does not even display when stocks go ex divi.

Not sure where to go, be interested if anyone has any ideas.

Spiney Norman
13 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I am in a similar situation, have approx 100K currently sat in a cash ISA, need to do something with it soon.

Yep, I'm in a very similar posistion I need some advice.

Looking to move into stocks ISA.

Anyone got any decent advice?

Spiney.

• Agree 1