DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Share trading platform

Hancock

Can anyone recommend a share trading platform they use.

@sancho panzamentioned Saxo the other day when i asked about buying XOP ETF, but i've looked at their fees and they seem astronomical.
https://uk.stockbrokers.com/review/saxo-capital-markets

I'm presuming they're being paid to say IG are great, so take this recommendation with a pinch of salt.
https://uk.stockbrokers.com/guides/share-dealing-accounts

But safety of the platform and the funds is of great importance, as feel odd to open an account online and ship my life savings in there, when some scammer can copy such a site these days.

Edited by Hancock

I use AJ Bell and they seem OK so far and not too expensive plus they have most things you want to buy.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, janch said:

I use AJ Bell and they seem OK so far and not too expensive plus they have most things you want to buy.

Ive got my SIPP/ISA with them but it seems limited as to what i can buy.

15 minutes ago, Hancock said:

Ive got my SIPP/ISA with them but it seems limited as to what i can buy.

Iweb?...were a one off payment of £20 plus £5 buy/sell each time, not sure what they are now. No fancy website but have a reasonable range.

3 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

Iweb?...were a one off payment of £20 plus £5 buy/sell each time, not sure what they are now. No fancy website but have a reasonable range.

Cheers but seems to be high forex charges.

image.png.1fab0d603d0ab68b20bf10f949c48aba.png

I'm very happy with both IG.com and Interactive Brokers.

I use IG for their flexible ISA.  You can take money out as long as you return it the same tax year without affecting your annual ISA allowance.   Not all ISAs allow this.  You can trade most stocks European, UK and US stocks, though they don't seem to off Canadian or Aussie stocks last time I checked.. a shame if you're buying miners.

I also use IG for spread betting.  useful for taking positions in commodities etc for short or medium term moves.  Their charts are awesome too. 

Interactive Brokers is the Daddy of them all..  Cheapest, most flexible and stable, offering everything on every global market, super cheap forex.  The only limit is they don't do an ISA, but they do a good SIPP with more tradable products than anywhere else.  

And you'll likely hate their super-complex platform until you figure it out... then you'll love it. 

Edited by MvR
  • Cheers 1

Talking Monkey
23 hours ago, MvR said:

I'm very happy with both IG.com and Interactive Brokers.

I use IG for their flexible ISA.  You can take money out as long as you return it the same tax year without affecting your annual ISA allowance.   Not all ISAs allow this.  You can trade most stocks European, UK and US stocks, though they don't seem to off Canadian or Aussie stocks last time I checked.. a shame if you're buying miners.

I also use IG for spread betting.  useful for taking positions in commodities etc for short or medium term moves.  Their charts are awesome too. 

Interactive Brokers is the Daddy of them all..  Cheapest, most flexible and stable, offering everything on every global market, super cheap forex.  The only limit is they don't do an ISA, but they do a good SIPP with more tradable products than anywhere else.  

And you'll likely hate their super-complex platform until you figure it out... then you'll love it. 

Is their app easier to use, the desktop demo thing I downloaded I couldn't work out so gave up

Just now, Talking Monkey said:

Is their app easier to use, the desktop demo thing I downloaded I couldn't work out so gave up

Interactive Brokers you mean?  Hard to say, but probably not. I'm not a fan of the app myself.  

You might have better luck with the browser based trading platform I guess?  That looks the simplest of all.

As for the TWS desktop platform, it's completely customisable, so you can turn off all the features you don't use, and re-arrange things how you like.  It's undoubtably a steep learning curve though.  I seem to remember @Harley saying he had similar issues to start with, before it all clicked and now he's a big fan too.

There are quite a few tutorials on YouTube which could help too.

Talking Monkey
7 minutes ago, MvR said:

Interactive Brokers you mean?  Hard to say, but probably not. I'm not a fan of the app myself.  

You might have better luck with the browser based trading platform I guess?  That looks the simplest of all.

As for the TWS desktop platform, it's completely customisable, so you can turn off all the features you don't use, and re-arrange things how you like.  It's undoubtably a steep learning curve though.  I seem to remember @Harley saying he had similar issues to start with, before it all clicked and now he's a big fan too.

There are quite a few tutorials on YouTube which could help too.

Yes was IB, I'll give them another go see if I can wrap my head round it. Cheers for the tip on the tutorials 

• Cheers 1