• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingPoor

Recommend me a Xmas Market

I'm thinking of hopping across to the continent and bagging some bargains on xmas presents and just generally soaking up the euro Xmas vibe,

Seems to be some very cheap deals around at present like 11 trips on offer here from less than £60:

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/11-best-christmas-market-city-breaks-under-60

Also jet2holidays has european Xmas Market trips from £60pp with free child places. 

Anyone recomend any destinations? 

1 minute ago, WorkingPoor said:

I'm thinking of hopping across to the continent and bagging some bargains on xmas presents and just generally soaking up the euro Xmas vibe,

Seems to be some very cheap deals around at present like 11 trips on offer here from less than £60:

Also jet2holidays has european Xmas Market trips from £60pp with free child places. 

Just watch out for the lorries of peace. They tend to have a tendency to turn up to them too.  Germany is probably a no-go because of that.

4 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

Try Krakow,ROPers stick out like a sore thumb in Poland.

18 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

Oddly enough, only a couple of hours I was thinking that this year I will finally make my much wanted trip to Salzburg for the market. I have put it off for many years now due to fears of muslim attacks... perhaps I should do one closer in Bruges perhaps?

19 minutes ago, Ina said:

Avoid York.  Sheds selling Chinese tat.  Parliament Street is a nightmare.  Pram and Mobility scooter gridlock.

When I was a kid, york was where the posh people lived.  Last time I went, it was like Chavez central.  Shopping with the desperate. o.O

5 hours ago, Economic Exile said:

I'm an Xmas party pooper. Don't bother sending Xmas cards, no Xmas tree or decorations, no presents given or received apart from a little bit of cash to my two offspring.

I do most years enjoy a nice family dinner with family where all contribute in some way to a really nice meal and drinks for anyone who imbibes. Some Xmas days for me have been good, some not so good and a few have been really shit. That's life!

Xmas day is just another day in the great scheme of things. Just another excuse to get consumers spending. I don't bother now. In fact these days I go out my way to spend less and luckily my family and close people are in agreement!

Boo!

Christmas is great, it's a part of our tradition and should be held on to. Not the shit bits though- panic buying presents, spending money you don't really have, feeling obliged to do stuff you don't want to, Christmas pudding, etc. All that shit can get to fuck, I love Christmas though.

5 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

Try Krakow,ROPers stick out like a sore thumb in Poland.

I would have said Germany but since they are ruining their country, Poland- that helps out one of the countries fighting back too. 

7 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Oddly enough, only a couple of hours I was thinking that this year I will finally make my much wanted trip to Salzburg for the market. I have put it off for many years now due to fears of muslim attacks... perhaps I should do one closer in Bruges perhaps?

For Belgium the Xmas Market held at Karreveld castle is supposed to be very good, it's on the outskirts of Molenbeek which is just a short Metro ride from Brussels airport. 

Edited by WorkingPoor

I really don't "get" Christmas markets..  you might as well sit in your garden shed burning bank notes and drinking watered down alcohol.

That said,  as far as I know their origins are rooted in German tradition..  so if it is your thing I would suggest finding a German town/city you fancy visiting and booking a few days there.  I haven't been to many to offer first hand experience,  but Munich seemed quite nice when I was there.

Vote with your feet and wallet and visit a Christmas market in a country where the government doesn't tolerate terrorism.

Krakow, Warsaw, Prague, Budapest or Bratislave would seem like good choices to me, and they are all nice cities to boot.

Edited by Mirror Mirror

7 hours ago, WorkingPoor said:

For Belgium the Xmas Market held at Karreveld castle is supposed to be very good, it's on the outskirts of Molenbeek which is just a short Metro ride from Brussels airport. 

Molenbeek? Sign me up! The kind of place that won't have a Christmas market in a decade. 

14 hours ago, One percent said:

Just watch out for the lorries of peace. They tend to have a tendency to turn up to them too.  Germany is probably a no-go because of that.

I was going to go to Bruges last Christmas but decided it wasn't worth the risk.

But what was I thinking? We are supposed to #notletthemwin and carry on as normal etc.

2 hours ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Vote with your feet and wallet and visit a Christmas market in a country where the government doesn't tolerate terrorism.

Krakow, Warsaw, Prague, Budapest or Bratislave would seem like good choices to me, and they are all nice cities to boot.

Good idea! A bit of a longer trek but worth it.

Krakow looks quite stunning.

krakow-xmas-market.jpg

21 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I was going to go to Bruges last Christmas but decided it wasn't worth the risk.

But what was I thinking? We are supposed to #notletthemwin and carry on as normal etc.

Good idea! A bit of a longer trek but worth it.

Krakow looks quite stunning.

krakow-xmas-market.jpg

Bruges is very nice.  I did it years ago on a coach trip.  The only thing was it was a day trip and the bloody bus driver got lost.  We had two hours in the city. xD

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Outside a Christmas market near a theatre where a Christmas pantomine was taking place.

Met Police apparently saying that they are unaware of it taking place.

Coz of course it's the kind of inconspicuous thing you could easily miss.