Jump to content
DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

IGNORED

Supplements


Roger_Mellie

Recommended Posts

Roger_Mellie

I started Stronglifts again just before my holidays, had a few weeks off and just about to pick it up again, so I decided to get some supplements to see what happened. Looked online to see what the consensus was and I've got:

1. Creatine

2. Whey

3. BCAA

4. Beta aniline

5. HMB

+ Vit D, magnesium and cod liver oil. 

Aim is to follow the recommendations on the supplements and do Stronglifts for 3 months. See where I get to. 

Diet is going to be keto, not going to worry about calorie intake but going to keep an eye on weight. 

Starting:

Weight: 165 lbs

Squat: 72.5kg 5x5

Bench: 50kg 5x5

Overhead press: 30kg 5x5

Pendlay row: 50kg 5x5

Deadlift 90kg 1x5

I'll probably shit out and get distracted at some point but aiming for 3 sessions a week for 12 weeks. Let's see how I get on. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I started Stronglifts again just before my holidays, had a few weeks off and just about to pick it up again, so I decided to get some supplements to see what happened. Looked online to see what the consensus was and I've got:

1. Creatine

2. Whey

3. BCAA

4. Beta aniline

5. HMB

+ Vit D, magnesium and cod liver oil. 

Aim is to follow the recommendations on the supplements and do Stronglifts for 3 months. See where I get to. 

Diet is going to be keto, not going to worry about calorie intake but going to keep an eye on weight. 

Starting:

Weight: 165 lbs

Squat: 72.5kg 5x5

Bench: 50kg 5x5

Overhead press: 30kg 5x5

Pendlay row: 50kg 5x5

Deadlift 90kg 1x5

I'll probably shit out and get distracted at some point but aiming for 3 sessions a week for 12 weeks. Let's see how I get on. 

Add some Zinc.

It's a good plan, make sure you're eating enough, try to be consistent and you'll make some good progress.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Roger_Mellie
2 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

Add some Zinc.

It's a good plan, make sure you're eating enough, try to be consistent and you'll make some good progress.

It's the eating enough that concerns me, I really don't want to put too much weight on. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depends if you are looking for vitamin supplements or performance enhancers.

For most nutrients (including protein) a healthy diet should be fine (except maybe vit D?)..  If you are doing Keto you are probably getting loads of protein in the form of cheese and egg whites etc.

For performance enhancers:

Creatine

When that peaks add Gaba protein

When that peaks you’re onto serious stuff like steroids.

But with creatine and gaba alone you can get pretty beef-cake.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Roger_Mellie
19 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

Beta alanine makes my face itch so badly I could claw at it. 

Is that what it is? It's not happening now, but the first time I knocked back the concoction my skin went prickly and itchy. 

I'm going to have a problem with the diet if I'm sticking to keto. Ate loads yesterday, I was still full this morning and didn't even get to 1900 calories.

Upped my breakfast: nuts, strawberries and cream, so a couple of hundred more calories for breakfast but I'm really, really full. 

Edited by Roger_Mellie
  • Lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fully Detached
1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Is that what it is? It's not happening now, but the first time I knocked back the concoction my skin went prickly and itchy. 

I'm going to have a problem with the diet if I'm sticking to keto. Ate loads yesterday, I was still full this morning and didn't even get to 1900 calories.

Upped my breakfast: nuts, strawberries and cream, so a couple of hundred more calories for breakfast but I'm really, really full. 

Yep - doesn't affect everyone but bloody awful when you get it. You can play with the dose and reduce the severity, although I don't know if it makes it worth taking. I only ever take it now if it's part of a pre-workout, and I only buy those if they're on offer.

As for feeling full, you'll get used to it and be able to eat more and more. Which is a problem if you stop training for any reason because the weight will suddenly pile on. I know this from painful personal experience.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Roger_Mellie
21 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

As for feeling full, you'll get used to it and be able to eat more and more. Which is a problem if you stop training for any reason because the weight will suddenly pile on. I know this from painful personal experience.

I'm being pretty careful with the diet, I'll track everything for a few days and get the lie of the land. 

There are a few things I can probably do to up the calories - milk with the protein shake rather than water, 3 tbsp of mayo with the tuna mayo rather than 2 etc. At first I'm aiming for 2000-2200 calories, which might not be enough, but I'll see. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fully Detached
9 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I'm being pretty careful with the diet, I'll track everything for a few days and get the lie of the land. 

There are a few things I can probably do to up the calories - milk with the protein shake rather than water, 3 tbsp of mayo with the tuna mayo rather than 2 etc. At first I'm aiming for 2000-2200 calories, which might not be enough, but I'll see. 

Good idea, I think everyone has to find what works for them, and far better to do it in small controlled increments than go balls out and realise it was a mistake 6 months later.

A couple of things that worked for me that might fit your plan are a smoothie made with coconut milk and protein powder - you can get one of those up to 500 calories if you try, but helps if you can add a banana or something. The other one that I really recommend is brown rice with black beans and maybe some chorizo or something to give it some flavour, then some chopped tomato so it's not too dry. If you have a bowl of that as an afternoon meal, you'll really up your clean calorie intake, and it won't take more than a few days before your stomach is hungry at 3-4pm rather than feeling full.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I'm being pretty careful with the diet, I'll track everything for a few days and get the lie of the land. 

There are a few things I can probably do to up the calories - milk with the protein shake rather than water, 3 tbsp of mayo with the tuna mayo rather than 2 etc. At first I'm aiming for 2000-2200 calories, which might not be enough, but I'll see. 

I'm on 2200 calories at 6'1" and at a guess 13 stone.

It's not enough permanently, but allows a cheat day or two at weekends..

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I try to get most of my nutrients from food, but do take mineral supplements.

zinc, magnesium, potassium.

I also take whey & collagen to increase my protein intake, collagen is for fascia strength and renewal, it's often neglected while muscles get all the attention.

And wild fish oil, I should eat more fish, but I've taken the lazy option for now.

I will restart taking Vit D in the next week or two.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, snaga said:

I try to get most of my nutrients from food, but do take mineral supplements.

zinc, magnesium, potassium.

I also take whey & collagen to increase my protein intake, collagen is for fascia strength and renewal, it's often neglected while muscles get all the attention.

And wild fish oil, I should eat more fish, but I've taken the lazy option for now.

I will restart taking Vit D in the next week or two.

Fish can be a nightmare to prep and have simple recipes for.

I've generally stuck recently to poached salmon pre-cooked so have that with cauliflower cheese or other veg; or canned mackerel/sardines - they go pretty well mashed on pitta bread then toasted in the oven 10-15 mins. Or as a treat stirred into Super Noodles with loads of chopped ginger.

Caffeine pre-workout too, which is why I train in the morning. I'd never sleep after my tablespoon+ of coffee granules..!

Edited by Stuey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Fish can be a nightmare to prep and have simple recipes for.

I've generally stuck recently to poached salmon pre-cooked so have that with cauliflower cheese or other veg; or canned mackerel/sardines - they go pretty well mashed on pitta bread then toasted in the oven 10-15 mins. Or as a treat stirred into Super Noodles with loads of chopped ginger.

Caffeine pre-workout too, which is why I train in the morning. I'd never sleep after my tablespoon+ of coffee granules..!

I was eating a lot of ready to eat smoked Mackerel (with salad) but I got bored with it. I do eat farmed Salmon occasionally, poached & smoked but I've heard farmed Salmon doesn't have the oil content needed. Wild Salmon I only buy when it's on offer as I'm a tight bastard :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

So... Time for an update. 

Since I posted this I've done 12 sessions, not missed a beat - 3 sessions with a day off inbetween then 2 days off. 

Made some good progress, but now stalled (i.e. Stopped being able to do 5x5 then increase the weight the following session) so noob gainz are all exhausted. 

Current numbers are:

Squat: 100kg 3x5, 2x4

Bench: 62.5kg 2x5, 3x4

Pendlay Row: 62.5kg 4x5, 1x4

OHP: 40kg 3x5, 2x4

Deadlift: 120kg 1x4

So 12 sessions down, 24 to go. Suddenly 12 weeks of 3x a week seems a long way away need some perseverance and graft now. 

From here, given noob gainz are done I think after another 24 sessions I can get to 120kg squat, 70-75kg bench and pendlay row, 45kg OHP and maybe 150kg dead. Although as always the grip is starting to limit the deadlift, so time for some chalk. 

The other thing is I've been sticking at 3 minutes between sets, if I have to deload twice in any exercise I'm going to increase that to 5 minutes to get through the plateau. 

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Supplements:

First thing in the morning: coffee plus C8  MCT oil;

Vit D3, Vit K2

D-aspartic acid

At the gym: creatine 

Later in the day:

Magnesium, zinc, Vit C

Evening: melatonin

No potassium as such but use low sodium salt which is 50% potassium chloride

Keto diet. 

C8 with coffee followed by creatine worked as a laxative first few weeks (not a bad thing under keto) but no longer does so. 

From restarting the gym 5 months ago, to now, I am in my best shape and strength in my life so far, at age 43. 

It helps for such statements if the initial bar is low but I have been doing weights on and off since the age of 15. Always ended up with some injury or another eventually, and general recovery was slow. As a result, little motivation to go back the next day. 

Factors that positively contributed could be:

Keto

Not having much else to do

Training early in the morning

Not training too hard to start with

Gym is near

 

Edited by Bear Hug
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

Supplements:

First thing in the morning: coffee plus C8  MCT oil;

 

 

Same although i cut back on the C8 oil a little as i nearly shit myself one day, thought it might be just wind but went to the toilet just incase 

It may of been something else.. who knows...

toilet-poop.gif

Edited by DoINeedOne
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

stop_the_craziness
9 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Well this has fucked things right up... Trapped nerve in my left shoulder. Hopefully not a symptom of a more serious injury. 

Sorry to hear that.  I rehabilitated both my shoulders using an amazing book called "The Anatomy of Stretching" and I still do the neck and shoulder stretches from it a couple of times a week to keep everything moving nicely.  The exercises are really well described and illustrated and they link them to whichever thing you are trying to fix.  Don't know if it will sort out a trapped nerve but it's a useful thing to own in my opinion.

Amazon.co.uk : the anatomy of stretching

  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

Sorry to hear that.  I rehabilitated both my shoulders using an amazing book called "The Anatomy of Stretching" and I still do the neck and shoulder stretches from it a couple of times a week to keep everything moving nicely.  The exercises are really well described and illustrated and they link them to whichever thing you are trying to fix.  Don't know if it will sort out a trapped nerve but it's a useful thing to own in my opinion.

Amazon.co.uk : the anatomy of stretching

Thanks, I think its lack of regular stretching that has caused it. Just had a chat with the doctor, she doesn't think there's an underlying issue, just that the trapezoid has gone into spasm which then pinches the nerve. She's prescribed naproxen and said 2 weeks off the gym, minimum. 

Edited by Roger_Mellie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

stop_the_craziness
12 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Thanks, I think its lack of regular stretching that has caused it. Just had a chat with the doctor, she doesn't think there's an underlying issue, just that the trapezoid has gone into spasm which then pinches the nerve. She's prescribed naproxen and said 2 weeks off the gym, minimum. 

That's good news that it's not looking more serious.  I have posted on here before about how utterly boring I find it to do all my regular stretching but it helps so much that I just put on some bike racing and force my way through it.

  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Well this has fucked things right up... Trapped nerve in my left shoulder. Hopefully not a symptom of a more serious injury. 

Don't lift/press upwards!

Personally I'd carry on lifting through the pain. I get twinges maybe twice a year and never stops me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stuey said:

Don't lift/press upwards!

Personally I'd carry on lifting through the pain. I get twinges maybe twice a year and never stops me

No way I can lift through this. I can't even put my arm by my side - it's not a twinge. Yesterday I couldn't sit, stand, eat, drink, work, could only sleep on my back with my arm above my head. I've trained through muscle pain before, this is on a whole other level. 

You might be right about the pressing upwards but ironically I don't think it's that that's done it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...