DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Supplements

Roger_Mellie

Roger_Mellie

I started Stronglifts again just before my holidays, had a few weeks off and just about to pick it up again, so I decided to get some supplements to see what happened. Looked online to see what the consensus was and I've got:

1. Creatine

2. Whey

3. BCAA

4. Beta aniline

5. HMB

+ Vit D, magnesium and cod liver oil. 

Aim is to follow the recommendations on the supplements and do Stronglifts for 3 months. See where I get to. 

Diet is going to be keto, not going to worry about calorie intake but going to keep an eye on weight. 

Starting:

Weight: 165 lbs

Squat: 72.5kg 5x5

Bench: 50kg 5x5

Overhead press: 30kg 5x5

Pendlay row: 50kg 5x5

Deadlift 90kg 1x5

I'll probably shit out and get distracted at some point but aiming for 3 sessions a week for 12 weeks. Let's see how I get on. 

• Agree 1

ElKapitan84

Tried every supplement under the sun.  Only thing that works for me:

1) Ecdysterone

2) Creatine

3) Protein/mass powder

4) Beta Alanine 30 mins before lifting.

• Agree 1

ILikeCake
2 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I started Stronglifts again just before my holidays, had a few weeks off and just about to pick it up again, so I decided to get some supplements to see what happened. Looked online to see what the consensus was and I've got:

1. Creatine

2. Whey

3. BCAA

4. Beta aniline

5. HMB

+ Vit D, magnesium and cod liver oil. 

Aim is to follow the recommendations on the supplements and do Stronglifts for 3 months. See where I get to. 

Diet is going to be keto, not going to worry about calorie intake but going to keep an eye on weight. 

Starting:

Weight: 165 lbs

Squat: 72.5kg 5x5

Bench: 50kg 5x5

Overhead press: 30kg 5x5

Pendlay row: 50kg 5x5

Deadlift 90kg 1x5

I'll probably shit out and get distracted at some point but aiming for 3 sessions a week for 12 weeks. Let's see how I get on. 

Add some Zinc.

It's a good plan, make sure you're eating enough, try to be consistent and you'll make some good progress.

• Cheers 1

Roger_Mellie
2 minutes ago, ILikeCake said:

Add some Zinc.

It's a good plan, make sure you're eating enough, try to be consistent and you'll make some good progress.

It's the eating enough that concerns me, I really don't want to put too much weight on. 

• Agree 1

Libspero

Depends if you are looking for vitamin supplements or performance enhancers.

For most nutrients (including protein) a healthy diet should be fine (except maybe vit D?)..  If you are doing Keto you are probably getting loads of protein in the form of cheese and egg whites etc.

For performance enhancers:

Creatine

When that peaks add Gaba protein

When that peaks you’re onto serious stuff like steroids.

But with creatine and gaba alone you can get pretty beef-cake.

• Agree 1

ILikeCake
5 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

It's the eating enough that concerns me, I really don't want to put too much weight on. 

The diet is the part I struggle with.

• Agree 1

Roger_Mellie
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

Beta alanine makes my face itch so badly I could claw at it. 

Is that what it is? It's not happening now, but the first time I knocked back the concoction my skin went prickly and itchy. 

I'm going to have a problem with the diet if I'm sticking to keto. Ate loads yesterday, I was still full this morning and didn't even get to 1900 calories.

Upped my breakfast: nuts, strawberries and cream, so a couple of hundred more calories for breakfast but I'm really, really full. 

Edited by Roger_Mellie
  • Lol 1

Fully Detached
1 hour ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Is that what it is? It's not happening now, but the first time I knocked back the concoction my skin went prickly and itchy. 

I'm going to have a problem with the diet if I'm sticking to keto. Ate loads yesterday, I was still full this morning and didn't even get to 1900 calories.

Upped my breakfast: nuts, strawberries and cream, so a couple of hundred more calories for breakfast but I'm really, really full. 

Yep - doesn't affect everyone but bloody awful when you get it. You can play with the dose and reduce the severity, although I don't know if it makes it worth taking. I only ever take it now if it's part of a pre-workout, and I only buy those if they're on offer.

As for feeling full, you'll get used to it and be able to eat more and more. Which is a problem if you stop training for any reason because the weight will suddenly pile on. I know this from painful personal experience.

• Agree 1

Roger_Mellie
21 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

As for feeling full, you'll get used to it and be able to eat more and more. Which is a problem if you stop training for any reason because the weight will suddenly pile on. I know this from painful personal experience.

I'm being pretty careful with the diet, I'll track everything for a few days and get the lie of the land. 

There are a few things I can probably do to up the calories - milk with the protein shake rather than water, 3 tbsp of mayo with the tuna mayo rather than 2 etc. At first I'm aiming for 2000-2200 calories, which might not be enough, but I'll see. 

• Agree 1

Fully Detached
9 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I'm being pretty careful with the diet, I'll track everything for a few days and get the lie of the land. 

There are a few things I can probably do to up the calories - milk with the protein shake rather than water, 3 tbsp of mayo with the tuna mayo rather than 2 etc. At first I'm aiming for 2000-2200 calories, which might not be enough, but I'll see. 

Good idea, I think everyone has to find what works for them, and far better to do it in small controlled increments than go balls out and realise it was a mistake 6 months later.

A couple of things that worked for me that might fit your plan are a smoothie made with coconut milk and protein powder - you can get one of those up to 500 calories if you try, but helps if you can add a banana or something. The other one that I really recommend is brown rice with black beans and maybe some chorizo or something to give it some flavour, then some chopped tomato so it's not too dry. If you have a bowl of that as an afternoon meal, you'll really up your clean calorie intake, and it won't take more than a few days before your stomach is hungry at 3-4pm rather than feeling full.

19 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I'm on 2200 calories at 6'1" and at a guess 13 stone.

It's not enough permanently, but allows a cheat day or two at weekends..

• Agree 1

I try to get most of my nutrients from food, but do take mineral supplements.

zinc, magnesium, potassium.

I also take whey & collagen to increase my protein intake, collagen is for fascia strength and renewal, it's often neglected while muscles get all the attention.

And wild fish oil, I should eat more fish, but I've taken the lazy option for now.

I will restart taking Vit D in the next week or two.

1 hour ago, snaga said:

I try to get most of my nutrients from food, but do take mineral supplements.

zinc, magnesium, potassium.

I also take whey & collagen to increase my protein intake, collagen is for fascia strength and renewal, it's often neglected while muscles get all the attention.

And wild fish oil, I should eat more fish, but I've taken the lazy option for now.

I will restart taking Vit D in the next week or two.

Fish can be a nightmare to prep and have simple recipes for.

I've generally stuck recently to poached salmon pre-cooked so have that with cauliflower cheese or other veg; or canned mackerel/sardines - they go pretty well mashed on pitta bread then toasted in the oven 10-15 mins. Or as a treat stirred into Super Noodles with loads of chopped ginger.

Caffeine pre-workout too, which is why I train in the morning. I'd never sleep after my tablespoon+ of coffee granules..!

Edited by Stuey

43 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Fish can be a nightmare to prep and have simple recipes for.

I've generally stuck recently to poached salmon pre-cooked so have that with cauliflower cheese or other veg; or canned mackerel/sardines - they go pretty well mashed on pitta bread then toasted in the oven 10-15 mins. Or as a treat stirred into Super Noodles with loads of chopped ginger.

Caffeine pre-workout too, which is why I train in the morning. I'd never sleep after my tablespoon+ of coffee granules..!

I was eating a lot of ready to eat smoked Mackerel (with salad) but I got bored with it. I do eat farmed Salmon occasionally, poached & smoked but I've heard farmed Salmon doesn't have the oil content needed. Wild Salmon I only buy when it's on offer as I'm a tight bastard :)