DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Car Projects?

No One

I just sold my car to take advantage of ridiculously high used car prices.

Paid £22k for it 3 years ago.  Sold for £300 less last week.

My project at the moment is to find a cheap runaround that I can put up with, until the arse falls out the used car market or  I go electric.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I'd love a 1973-76 Ford Cortina 2000E or a Citroen CX but lack of mechanical ability prevents me from buying either.

2 hours ago, One percent said:

I want to build a dax cobra. Have done for years and i will do it. :)

I always preferred the 289 over the 427.

I've got a few cars on the go.  One is taking longer than it should, which is probably the way that these things always go.

• Informative 1

One percent
2 minutes ago, dgul said:

I always preferred the 289 over the 427.

I've got a few cars on the go.  One is taking longer than it should, which is probably the way that these things always go.

Ooh, talk to me. I don’t have a clue. What’s the difference?  

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

I think the 289 looks a bit less butch lol

Go for a Porsche Speedster replica, they look gorgeous in comparison

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

13 hours ago, RWJ said:

My project at the moment is to find a cheap runaround that I can put up with, until the arse falls out the used car market or  I go electric.

I used to buy cars with just enough mot to get it taxed for the year. Larger the car, the less likely it was to have mechanical trouble. At the end of the year, I'd break it for parts and sell the carcass to the scrap yard. Rinse and repeat.

Unless it's changed, getting done for no mot doesn't put any points on your licence.

• Informative 1

8 minutes ago, jm51 said:

I used to buy cars with just enough mot to get it taxed for the year. Larger the car, the less likely it was to have mechanical trouble. At the end of the year, I'd break it for parts and sell the carcass to the scrap yard. Rinse and repeat.

Unless it's changed, getting done for no mot doesn't put any points on your licence.

ANPR has more or less put paid to that trick.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, One percent said:

Well, the numbers refer to the 'cubic inches' in the engine -- 289 is 4.7 litres while the 427 is 7.0 litres.  I'd say 4.7 litres of engine is quite enough.

But the actual differences are in the design -- the 289 is quite close to the original AC Ace, whereas the 427 has massive wheel arches to cope with wider tyres on the race track.  Lots like the butch look of the 427 but the 289 to me looks better.

289:

shelby-cobra-289-s-c.jpg?550x250m

427:

1965-cobra-427

If I was building one I'd go for the Hawk 289 Cobra over the Dax (if either is still in production) -- the Hawk will likely cost a bit more in parts, but the main effort is manpower and in that regard there won't be much in it.

But I agree with the comment about the Porsche Speedster -- in that there are a lot of options out there.  I think I'd actually go for something like a 356, but that's probably my age (something like a Cobra demands to be driven hard, but a 356 can just be 'enjoyed'). 

I'd also note that you have to be something of an exhibitionist to go around in a Cobra -- they're not for shrinking violets.

Hell, these days I'd be happy with having a Beetle and just enjoying it.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Names Is For Tombstones

I have an 86 Ford Capri laser. It is on the road taxed and insured but is a bit of a rolling project. Most of the work needed has been done but there are still a few more jobs to do.

I have been suffering from Carpal Tunnel and have had to pay to have some of the work completed. I had the surgery a couple of weeks back and will break out the toolbox when it settles down.

Next job is to replace the cooling system. Aluminium radiator, new hoses & new viscous fan.

The bumpers are coming off this winter to be blasted and powder coated

• Cheers 1

Essentially it's a local businessman's private collection. Over the last ten years he decided to build his collection...he loves his cars, and since then has been collecting more and more

My arse, it's some rich eccentric twats mega-hoarding mess.

Storing un-sheeted with windows open to collect bird-shit and mouse nests? 9_9

Amazing collection of vehicles, but what a total bellend. 

Edited by Loki
  • Agree 1

Carl Fimble
2 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Citroen Berlingo TUNING - Fotos de coches - Zcoches | misc ...

Just picture it with windows, even better.

Windows, seats and some sort of clearance for snow and shit and that'd be a go-er! Some windows in the back would be good too but I'm growing less and less picky by the day. 

24 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

That's amazing, ours was £4.5k a year ago, something similar is £5-6 now, or worse. 

The one in the article is a 2000 covered in bird shit and stood for years xD

Did you get yours sorted?

Carl Fimble
14 minutes ago, Loki said:

The one in the article is a 2000 covered in bird shit and stood for years xD

Did you get yours sorted?

No, £180 to get it towed up the road and £400 for a replacement cambelt, water pump and pulleys, and it then didn't start. Looking into getting the head off it now to see what damage needs fixed. £5-6k for an equivalent car now, paid £4.5k a year ago. Hoping it can be sorted for a grand or less but it's looking pricey. 

Nightmare. 

£2k covered in bird shit and with seized components doesn't sound like it's much of a deal now. 

Edited by Carl Fimble
Grrrr, then sp

5 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

No, £180 to get it towed up the road and £400 for a replacement cambelt, water pump and pulleys, and it then didn't start. Looking into getting the head off it now to see what damage needs fixed. £5-6k for an equivalent car now, paid £4.5k a year ago. Hoping it can be sorted for a grand or ess but it's looking pricey. 

Nightmare. 

£2k covered in bird shit and with seized components isn't sound like it's much of a deal now. 

Ah shit mate 

If you get another car go for a petrol unless you're doing big miles

Carl Fimble
1 minute ago, Loki said:

Ah shit mate 

If you get another car go for a petrol unless you're doing big miles

Done about 20k miles the last year, otherwise would be thinking petrol. Normally only did 10k miles/yr but things have changed (moved house). 

Just now, Carl Fimble said:

Done about 20k miles the last year, otherwise would be thinking petrol. Normally only did 10k miles/yr but things have changed (moved house). 

That's only borderline breakeven point vs petrol...so you get 10 - 15 more mpg in fuel savings, and although the cambelt could fail on any vehicle there's a lot more to go wrong with a modern diesel.   One big bill, there go your fuel savings and a load more cash. 

Worth keeping in mind, DYOR of course!

• spunko changed the title to Car Projects?