• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
M S E Refugee

Mobility Scooters

Whenever I go to Poland I never see anyone travelling around on a Mobility Scooter,you see many old people in their 70s and 80s who can still walk around unaided or using those Nordic walking sticks.

My Grandparents generation would use a walking stick but that was about it.

What has happened to people in this country,I seem to encounter fat bastards in their 30s and 40s who are immobile because the state provides them with everything they need.

I took the kids to Florida years ago.  I was amazed at the number of kids, years older than mine who were made to walk, being pushed around in these big wheelbarrow type things.  

I guess that if you don't use it, you lose it and walking anywhere appears to be an anathema for a lot of people.  

I agree about Poland and the lack of wheelchairs, but I do think it odd about the lack of visible severely disabled in that country. You never see them, ever, it's a bit creepy. On fat lazy bastards in motorised conveniences Britain does lead. Our system both encourages and rewards the piss takers to milk it for all it is worth.

Ok i've got a beef with this.....

There are 2 types of mobility scooter 

1. is purely for pavement use and limited to 4mph these have very small wheels like in the pic above.

2. is a larger heavier scooter with bigger wheels that is switchable between 4 & 8 mph these can be used on roads.

Now the people i see on pavements are whizzing along at 8 mph (over twice average walking speed) it is rare to see one of these types doing 4mph on the pavement.

Alot of collisions have happened and in Gosport hampshire the other week a toddler was run over and dragged along the precinct by a speeding scooter, the rider drove off and is still being hunted by police.

Basically the law is 4mph max on the pavement so if you see a scooter moving faster than you walking then they are s*** and are "AT IT"

Edited by WorkingPoor

I remember seeing my first mobility scooter shop in Blackpool in the 80s; it was shocking that the locals had got so fat, lazy and unhealthy that there would be such demand that it supported a shop.

Fair enough the odd case, people do lose the use of their legs, but enough to justify a dedicated shop?

Since then they have steadily crept south and seeing these trollies or shops selling them is common; and a running issue in social housing is the storage of these and where they are charged.

So there you have it: if you want to see the future then go to Blackpool.

37 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I remember seeing my first mobility scooter shop in Blackpool in the 80s; it was shocking that the locals had got so fat, lazy and unhealthy that there would be such demand that it supported a shop.

Fair enough the odd case, people do lose the use of their legs, but enough to justify a dedicated shop?

Since then they have steadily crept south and seeing these trollies or shops selling them is common; and a running issue in social housing is the storage of these and where they are charged.

I can confirm this.

I was in Morrison's in Blackpool yesterday and was pretty taken aback at just how seriously unhealthy most of the people in there looked.

Not just fat bastards either, (though there was plenty of those) some of these people looked ravaged or just generally unwell. It wasn't a pretty sight.

Head down to the prom and it's borderline grotesque, full of pissheads, lardarses and fat toddlers.

How the fuck do you make a toddler fat?

10 hours ago, M S E Refugee said:

Whenever I go to Poland I never see anyone travelling around on a Mobility Scooter,you see many old people in their 70s and 80s who can still walk around unaided or using those Nordic walking sticks.

My Grandparents generation would use a walking stick but that was about it.

What has happened to people in this country,I seem to encounter fat bastards in their 30s and 40s who are immobile because the state provides them with everything they need.

It's also possible that the lack of mobility scooters in Poland means all the morbidly obese and disabled people are confined indoors, which is why you don't see them out & about.

Don't shoot me, I'm just playing devil's advocate :)

39 minutes ago, snagger said:

It's also possible that the lack of mobility scooters in Poland means all the morbidly obese and disabled people are confined indoors, which is why you don't see them out & about.

Don't shoot me, I'm just playing devil's advocate :)

I would imagine the reason you don't see many fat people in Poland is to do with the amount of money the Polish Government pays out in benefits compared to the UK.

3 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Skegness is the same.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.1421106,0.3426889,3a,51.5y,17.35h,78.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syhQN6V-br-03TNQ_CVOzww!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
1 parked up outside a shop behind you and there's one in front! 

We went a few years ago and played spot the scooter. Hundreds in the first five minutes.
Nice flat areas I spose though. Trying to think if I've seen any in Oldham.

14 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Skegness is the same.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.1421106,0.3426889,3a,51.5y,17.35h,78.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syhQN6V-br-03TNQ_CVOzww!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
1 parked up outside a shop behind you and there's one in front! 

We went a few years ago and played spot the scooter. Hundreds in the first five minutes.
Nice flat areas I spose though. Trying to think if I've seen any in Oldham.

Christ on a bike. If you 'walk' up that street there's dozens of them!

Soon to be featured in my new film

"Spaz Chariots Of Fire"

BTW the views here concur with my own straw poll on this subject where the overwhelming number of people were of the view that they were mainly used by lazy fat bastards rather than people with disabilities.

Friend went on one of those Cruise holidays where there are dozens of restaurants and bars allowing passengers to eat and drink all day. He was amazed at the number of people on mobility scooters he saw. None of them seemed to leave the ship when it entered port at the tourist destinations so one must assume they simply stayed on board eating and drinking themselves into oblivion.

Lot of the people I see on these things  are not OAPs either just people who are morbidly obese.

Edited by Virgil Caine