DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Euro 7 emissions rules - be very afraid

Frank Hovis

The Generation Game
1 hour ago, Albo said:

You will be ok in Cornwall. It won't be realistic for anyone in a major city to do that. The london ULEZ is euro 4 for petrol and euro 6 for diesel.

£8 charge for Birmingham clean air zone as well. Portsmouth starts at the end of this year.

They will keep moving the goalposts until everyone is in EVs. off the roads. 

FTFY

• Agree 3

The Generation Game
1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

European Union proposals for new Euro 7 emissions legislation

Well excuse me but I thought the whole point of Brexit was to avoid being subject to their unelected bureaucrats tyrannical Brussels etc.etc.

Will we be getting "Euro 7" in the UK then?

image.png.56bea89e0391b7498fb9cf3dc99dcefd.png

58 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Cars will become like iPhones.  Most parts will be chipped.  If the main computer does not like a part, the car wont start.  You will be forced to go to a main dealer.

Or an automotive hacker.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

How about using the train.

"Motorail (British Rail) - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorail_(British_Rail)

I did that once. The boss had bouy himself a house in Ireland and I got volunteered to drive  Transit van from London to Donegal. I put the van on the train, king's cross I think, slept overnight and drive from Glasgow, I think, to Larne in the morning. Very convenient but I wasn't paying.

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Albo said:

Does anyone have any ideas of the ultimate "forever car" that we are all going to have to buy in the next 5 years?

I should have thought that a Prius would be a good shout.

• Agree 1

Just now, Albo said:

Does anyone have any ideas of the ultimate "forever car" that we are all going to have to buy in the next 5 years?

The car type is down to your own needs. I want a leisure vehicle so a Berlingo looks about right for me. My current car is the perfect commuter car but I have no commute these days.

I'm leaning towards buying a diesel again because that fuel will remain widely available because of its use commercial vehicles.

Petrol is pretty much just for cars so it will slowly dwindle in availability, just as LPG has already done, and be further adulterated by so much ethanol that it will be munching through your seals and fuel hoses on a annual basis.

Brazil already has E100.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57585105

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, eek said:

Yep when the motors go it's a complete replacement job, but that is because it's an all or nothing job instead of a complex motor with consumable parts. 

Most motors go away for rebuild though. Presumably there'll be a refurb market.

9 minutes ago, wherebee said:

FTFY

My grandad was one of the earliest drivers, in the post great war period.  turned 15 just after the war.  He was the first person to drive in his village, as he learnt to drive the butchers van in the local town.

he drove private cars for a noble family throughout the 30's.  All over Europe.  No-one else had a car.  

That's the future the elite want.

I once got chatting to a very old boy in the local barber's; you turned up and waited if it wasn't too busy as there were no appointments.

He must have been born around 1900 because he was talking about his parents bringing him down to Cornwall in their car and that, like all cars then, it was garaged every night. Nobody ever parked on the street presumably because cars were so expensive then.

He was on holiday in Cornwall in 1914 and remembered the hotels lost most of their staff that year because they were German and returned home for fear of imprisonment or reprisals with war looming.

It's odd to think that in Edwardian times Cornwall's grand hotels were being staffed by Germans.

• Informative 7

Long distance EV problem solved by sticking a diesel generator in the boot, powered by chip fat. Someone will get rich selling that solution while the infrastructure catches up. xD

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 2
  • Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The car type is down to your own needs. I want a leisure vehicle so a Berlingo looks about right for me. My current car is the perfect commuter car but I have no commute these days.

I'm leaning towards buying a diesel again because that fuel will remain widely available because of its use commercial vehicles.

Petrol is pretty much just for cars so it will slowly dwindle in availability, just as LPG has already done, and be further adulterated by so much ethanol that it will be munching through your seals and fuel hoses on a annual basis.

Brazil already has E100.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57585105

There'd be nothing wrong with E100 if the car was designed from scratch to use it. Apart from the much bigger fuel tank.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

There'd be nothing wrong with E100 if the car was designed from scratch to use it. Apart from the much bigger fuel tank.

I thought that the essential problems with ethanol over petrol are that it draws in water, so don't leave your tank half empty for months, and corrodes rubber seals.

I would say that these are real disadvantages if not exactly "wrong".

7 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

Might be an issue for motorbikes.

geordie_lurch

If many of us make it through the other side of the potential upcoming Covid 'vaccine' booster / ADE deaths and / or our vaccine passports allow travel by 2025 you will be so far under the control of the Government by then I think cars will be only for the elites and the least of your worries xD

• Agree 6
  • Lol 3

1 hour ago, Albo said:

Got mine already B| just need to get it undersealed

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I thought that the essential problems with ethanol over petrol are that it draws in water, so don't leave your tank half empty for months, and corrodes rubber seals.

I would say that these are real disadvantages if not exactly "wrong".

You design from scratch and don't use seals that are susceptible to such damage.

As an aside, why I was a child  I was fascinated by the X15 program. I was bitterly disappointed every time there was an explosion. It was only comparitivly recently that I found out that the problem was that they were using some sort of greasy rope sort of thing for seals in the liquid oxygen part of the fuel system. Not too clever.

• Informative 2

1 minute ago, Rare Bear said:

You design from scratch and don't use seals that are susceptible to such damage.

As an aside, why I was a child  I was fascinated by the X15 program. I was bitterly disappointed every time there was an explosion. It was only comparitivly recently that I found out that the problem was that they were using some sort of greasy rope sort of thing for seals in the liquid oxygen part of the fuel system. Not too clever.

I remember seeing footage of the construction of the first Space Shuttles.

There was this miracle of modern science and the operatives were gluing individual ceramic tiles onto the nose and underside as its heat shield.

It looked rather amateurish though it did work.

• Lol 2

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

There was this miracle of modern science and the operatives were gluing individual ceramic tiles onto the nose and underside as its heat shield.

Originally it was Formica, but Russia had just had theirs done in something similar.  Fashions change so quickly 

• Bogged 1
  • Lol 2

1 hour ago, Albo said:

yup it's the Peugeot 205 gang! Check out this guy's channel, he's bloody great, got all the tools mind you lol

• Agree 2