DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Euro 7 emissions rules - be very afraid

Frank Hovis

2 hours ago, stockton said:

I wonder if this means we will see more American\imported cars on our roads to avoid this problem.

Unlikely, most people won't want the aggro of sourcing parts etc.

Good luck finding headlights that fit my JDM truck, for example, even though it's a Hilux

• Informative 1

Buy a classic, their value makes them worthwhile rebuilding every 15 years. The simplicity means they can't suffer from planned obsolescence like the new cars can, "sorry but we can't get that microprocessor anymore, your car is scrap"

Even when values drop they can be fun to drive and as numbers drop you become a smaller target for the government tax machine.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

18 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I remember seeing footage of the construction of the first Space Shuttles.

There was this miracle of modern science and the operatives were gluing individual ceramic tiles onto the nose and underside as its heat shield.

It looked rather amateurish though it did work.

The tiles worked until they didn't.

And when they didn't things went very wrong very quickly.

Poor bastards.

3 hours ago, GTM said:

At some point there is going to be a massive backlash against EVs.

To take just one example, if we went as near as dammit 100% EV. The 5 minute splash and dash at the petrol station isn't an option. If you are low on charge you are stopping for at least 30-40 minutes. So the service stations are going to have to expand as more cars will be sitting idle for longer. Also every single parking space is going to have to have a connection to a high voltage supply and a charging station attached. So your one off costs are massive and your maintenance costs go from maintaining a dozen or maybe more pumps, bunkering and a few other bits and bobs to maintaining thousands of charging stations and the associated infrastructure.

Long distance travel by car becomes a lot more tiresome (you're stopping for at least half an hour whether you want to or not) and there is no way with the costs of providing this infrastructure that it becomes cheaper either.

What they really need to do is 'level the playing field' by mandating that car fuel tanks can only hold about 2-3 gallons and that refuelling is at a max of about one pint per minute.

• Lol 7
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, dgul said:

What they really need to do is 'level the playing field' by mandating that car fuel tanks can only hold about 2-3 gallons and that refuelling is at a max of about one pint per minute.

Why would you write that even in jest? :D That's stupid enough to make sense even to the dumbest of gov-droids

• Agree 4
  • Bogged 1
  • Lol 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Albo said:

Does anyone have any ideas of the ultimate "forever car" that we are all going to have to buy in the next 5 years?

Said this on another thread but it has to be a transit for me, does everything easily.

Maybe a vw transporter if its no longer flavour of the month but you can't (couldn't?) Lay an 8x4 sheet down in the back of them which is no good.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Loki said:

Unlikely, most people won't want the aggro of sourcing parts etc.

Good luck finding headlights that fit my JDM truck, for example, even though it's a Hilux

Don't know if that would put me of a f150 pickup 🤔 wouldn't mind a trip to the States for parts every so often.

One of the deisels too so I could do some rolling coal to the eco cars on the road!

Edited by stockton
  • Lol 2

The Generation Game
20 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Buy a classic, their value makes them worthwhile rebuilding every 15 years. The simplicity means they can't suffer from planned obsolescence like the new cars can, "sorry but we can't get that microprocessor anymore, your car is scrap"

Even when values drop they can be fun to drive and as numbers drop you become a smaller target for the government tax machine.

Swap one of these for some NFT weird whales?

http://www.joemacari.com/All-Cars-for-Sale/

2 minutes ago, stockton said:

Don't know if that would put me of a f150 pickup 🤔 wouldn't mind a trip to the States for parts every so often

Why Ford never put their V8 in the Ranger I don't know.  Idiots.  That would have been a special edition best seller.

Instead it's a diesel engine with an 8 speed gearbox.  Wow, I'm nursing a semi just talking about it. :wanker:

• Lol 1

The Generation Game
1 minute ago, Loki said:

Why Ford never put their V8 in the Ranger I don't know.  Idiots.  That would have been a special edition best seller.

Instead it's a diesel engine with an 8 speed gearbox.  Wow, I'm nursing a semi just talking about it. :wanker:

Because they didn't want people buying them up cheap off the Taliban?

13 minutes ago, stockton said:

Don't know if that would put me of a f150 pickup 🤔 wouldn't mind a trip to the States for parts every so often.

One of the deisels too so I could do some rolling coal to the eco cars on the road!

I've often thought that a diesel car with two stage turbocharging like the tractor pulling boys would be really good for pissing off the Gretans.

Bus Stop Boxer
4 hours ago, GTM said:

At some point there is going to be a massive backlash against EVs.

To take just one example, if we went as near as dammit 100% EV. The 5 minute splash and dash at the petrol station isn't an option. If you are low on charge you are stopping for at least 30-40 minutes. So the service stations are going to have to expand as more cars will be sitting idle for longer. Also every single parking space is going to have to have a connection to a high voltage supply and a charging station attached. So your one off costs are massive and your maintenance costs go from maintaining a dozen or maybe more pumps, bunkering and a few other bits and bobs to maintaining thousands of charging stations and the associated infrastructure.

Long distance travel by car becomes a lot more tiresome (you're stopping for at least half an hour whether you want to or not) and there is no way with the costs of providing this infrastructure that it becomes cheaper either.

Posted this vid on other threads.

Its a very good pointer of where we are now and whats needed to make life bearable with EVs.

There's lots to do, unless the idea is we are all getting back on the electro bus.

Right now the only type of EV that makes sense to me, is a self charging hybrid like a new Corolla. 

This guy has payment details for about 7 apps stored on his phone. Fuck that.

Edited by Bus Stop Boxer
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, MrPin said:

Unlike A levels, these vehicle requirements are getting harder. Manufacturers will cheat again and will be "fined".

These are fantasy regulations, because vehicles are now clean enough. It's merely a quango decision.

Indeed.

Tightening car emissions yet again, while container ships merrily continue burning bunker fuel, and passenger jets continue paying 0% tax on the kerosene that they use.

Makes no sense, it's a political decision rather than scientific one.

• Agree 10

22 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

Indeed.

Tightening car emissions yet again, while container ships merrily continue burning bunker fuel, and passenger jets continue paying 0% tax on the kerosene that they use.

Makes no sense, it's a political decision rather than scientific one.

Not kerosene, that's nice clean fuel. Ships burn bunker oil, more like tar.

With a crooked smile
5 hours ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

Are we going to see 30+ extension leads being dragged up and down walkways every night? With no one daring to leave the house after dark because it's too much of a trip hazard

There is something called the mole that creates a tunnel for terraced houses to the street I imagine they could do something similar. I don't see the point in paying for the mole digging service if you live in a terrace at the moment wait and see what the government comes up with. I'm sure they will splash the cash if they want to push EV adoption. 

• Informative 1

5 hours ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

Jailbreaking EV's could be a potential money making scheme for the 2030's.

I'm curious about what will happen to cul-de-sac's like mine where all the garages are at the other end of the street. Are we going to see 30+ extension leads being dragged up and down walkways every night? With no one daring to leave the house after dark because it's too much of a trip hazard?

100% EV's isn't happening without a massive overall of infrastructure. Charging a car at home isn't feasible for most people.

You’ll also have the “youths” of the area attempting to unclip the chargers at night.  

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

Cars will become like iPhones.  Most parts will be chipped.  If the main computer does not like a part, the car wont start.  You will be forced to go to a main dealer.

I'm not sure if it's a myth but I recently heard a tale of someone buying a used Tesla only for Tesla to remotely disable or delete a number of optional extras that the original owner had spec'd the car with.. on the basis that the new owner hadn't paid for these extras so they weren't entitled to have use of them.

• Informative 2