DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Social care = tax rise

sarahbell

sarahbell

Now, all those old people we've saved from a quick covid death are going to get their revenge.

You're going to have to pay more tax to fund their care, so their children can inherit their houses.

I still think sending people to somewhere warm, sunny and cheap would be a better option for most of them. 

image.png.99c6d50d897477cbb09d912d7b0bb110.png

• Agree 3
  • Lol 1

stop_the_craziness
10 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Now, all those old people we've saved from a quick covid death are going to get their revenge.

You're going to have to pay more tax to fund their care, so their children can inherit their houses.

I still think sending people to somewhere warm, sunny and cheap would be a better option for most of them. 

More pictures of Zombie Abba.  Is it Zombie Abba Day and no one told me?

• Agree 2

From https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/09/02/tax-rise-25-million-pay-social-care/

However the rise is sold, it is likely to be seen as breaching the Tory manifesto for the December 2019 election, which ruled out raising the rate of National Insurance.

"We promise not to raise the rates of income tax, National Insurance or VAT," the critical line said. There were numerous promises to keep taxes low, including: "We not only want to freeze taxes but to cut them too."

Fuck these lying fucking cunts. And the old fuckers too. :PissedOff:

• Agree 4

Has anyone worked out how much the average working man pays in tax as a percentage of earning?

When you figure in all the Direct and Indirect taxes I bet it’s pretty shocking

• Agree 3

One percent
Just now, ad_ceng said:

Fuck em let people either pay themselves or die, frankly I need my money for me and my family. 

I’d rather the money was used to support people who have paid in all their lives, rather than those who have rocked up recently or those that have never contributed. Needs to be changed back to a contributions based system. It’s why it’s called National insurance 

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

I’d rather the money was used to support people who have paid in all their lives, rather than those who have rocked up recently or those that have never contributed. Needs to be changed back to a contributions based system. It’s why it’s called National insurance 

Problem is they have not paid in any where like they would be taking out, it is ponzy scheme and made worse as people think they have paid for it they have not. A few hundred or thousand a year even over 40 years of working career just does not touch the costs. 

One percent
1 minute ago, ad_ceng said:

Problem is they have not paid in any where like they would be taking out, it is ponzy scheme and made worse as people think they have paid for it they have not. A few hundred or thousand a year even over 40 years of working career just does not touch the costs. 

Agree but at least they have contributed. Many who take out have never contributed a penny 

• Agree 2

sarahbell
36 minutes ago, One percent said:

Should it reflect the assets you have accrued during your life? 

Should you be able to leave all your worldly wealth to your children and have the state pay for your care?

sarahbell
1 minute ago, One percent said:

Dunno but it is becoming more and more clear that working hard, living a relatively frugal life and saving for a rainy day is a fools errand. 

It is.
But once you start down that path of having savings you are a bit doomed.

We should train our children to have only gold chains as assets, even if they end up looking as covered in metal as Mr T. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

It is.
But once you start down that path of having savings you are a bit doomed.

We should train our children to have only gold chains as assets, even if they end up looking as covered in metal as Mr T. 

Maybe the gypsy travelers were onto something and will be in pole position of wealth in a few years 

• Agree 3

sarahbell
4 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

Maybe the gypsy travelers were onto something and will be in pole position of wealth in a few years 

Lots of poor people in Ardwick (The 26th most deprived ward in E&W back in the 90s and I doubt it's improved that much really) had gold jewelry.  Heavy chains, rings, earrings. 
Perhaps gold wasn't worth as much back when they bought it, but that doesn't count as assets as it's being worn.  I always thought it was odd. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Lots of poor people in Ardwick (The 26th most deprived ward in E&W back in the 90s and I doubt it's improved that much really) had gold jewelry.  Heavy chains, rings, earrings. 
Perhaps gold wasn't worth as much back when they bought it, but that doesn't count as assets as it's being worn.  I always thought it was odd. 

I think it's still counted as assets even if worn...ie scrap gold. Admittedly they aren't getting very good returns on the price at the jeweller's compared with any subsequent sale.  Still could be worth a lot in the right environment in the future if all other money is taxed traced and devalued.

Indians too whilst historically very poor are known to keep build up and hold some wealth in gold jewellery etc. Although not sure they wear for bling factor as much as the hairy block in ardwick with his medallions and chains.

• Agree 1

Lightly Toasted
32 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Should it reflect the assets you have accrued during your life? 

Should you be able to leave all your worldly wealth to your children and have the state pay for your care?

More broadly, should you be able to spend all your worldly wealth and have the state pay for your care? Passing wealth to your children is just one of many available choices -- and potentially one of the better ones.

Should people who keep themselves fitter (thus not needing care so soon) have to subsidise those who've neglected, nay destroyed, their ability to remain as independent as possible?

Is the state making a rod for its own back by denying a dignified and humane end at the time of everyone's own choice?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Lightly Toasted said:

More broadly, should you be able to spend all your worldly wealth and have the state pay for your care? Passing wealth to your children is just one of many available choices -- and potentially one of the better ones.

Should people who keep themselves fitter (thus not needing care so soon) have to subsidise those who've neglected, nay destroyed, their ability to remain as independent as possible?

Is the state making a rod for its own back by denying a dignified and humane end at the time of everyone's own choice?

Aren't those the miscreants who cost the most? The fat alcoholic smokers are down and out long before needing long term care and the state can rape them for sin taxes to fund their likely short term hospital departure.

• Agree 2

Lightly Toasted
2 minutes ago, afly said:

Aren't those the miscreants who cost the most? The fat alcoholic smokers are down and out long before needing long term care and the state can rape them for sin taxes to fund their likely short term hospital departure.

In general the voluntarily unhealthy need care (and other resources) long before they actually get old.

Which puts me in mind of the vacancy sign I noticed outside the local care home (private I believe, but still) ... you need to be at least 55. That shocked me because I'd qualify :o

Democorruptcy

They have forgotten that loads of old folk have died of covid, so their pension liabilities will be reduced. Somebody tell them and then they won't need to raise more tax, they can just use their pension savings.

• Agree 1

sarahbell
1 minute ago, ashestoashes said:

Now threatening NI on pensions, surely a step too far

If Covid had killed everyone in a care home, what effects would that have?

hapax legomenon
16 hours ago, sarahbell said:

They missed a trick there, could have done an ABBA / tax rise cross over headline:

image.png.0db1aeee6141282ee8fc1489a1bfcfbc.png

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1