Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

  • 0

Extra security for up and over garage door


Snake Plissken
 Share

Question

Snake Plissken

Want to add extra lock or security to a garage door. Its quite standard up and under metal door (aluminium?) with a central lock. Anyone suggest which way to go ? Can see there are the type that bolt into the floor in front of the door to stop it opening, don't have a power outlet near the garage so would have to rely on a cordless drill to fit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
Chewing Grass
35 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

Want to add extra lock or security to a garage door. Its quite standard up and under metal door (aluminium?) with a central lock. Anyone suggest which way to go ? Can see there are the type that bolt into the floor in front of the door to stop it opening, don't have a power outlet near the garage so would have to rely on a cordless drill to fit.

Just took a photo of what I did to my door, hole in concrete drilled with a McAllister cheapo Screwfix cordless drill, straps made of bent ally and bolt bent tube.

Obviously you can beef this up as much as you want but it holds the bottom of the door fine as it is.

20210903_211308.thumb.jpg.786d41bdd1296e659faebc16f62cae26.jpg

Edited by Chewing Grass
  • Informative 1
  • Bogged 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
One percent
8 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

Want to add extra lock or security to a garage door. Its quite standard up and under metal door (aluminium?) with a central lock. Anyone suggest which way to go ? Can see there are the type that bolt into the floor in front of the door to stop it opening, don't have a power outlet near the garage so would have to rely on a cordless drill to fit.

Just wire it into the mains so that any scroat trying to break in is fried. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Snake Plissken
18 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Just took a photo of what I did to my door, hole in concrete drilled with a McAllister cheapo Screwfix cordless drill, straps made of bent ally and bolt bent tube.

Obviously you can been this up as much as you want but it holds the bottom of the door fine as it is.

20210903_211308.thumb.jpg.786d41bdd1296e659faebc16f62cae26.jpg

Mine isn't attached to the property so I need to be able to open it from outside the garage door (unless I'm seeing yours wrong)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Chewing Grass
8 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

Mine isn't attached to the property so I need to be able to open it from outside the garage door (unless I'm seeing yours wrong)

Yep, only way in is from inside as I disconnected the handle as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Carl Fimble

I've seen some with a simple hasp and padlock arrangement attached at the top of the door, just rivetted on or screwed on with a bolt and nut. Could be attached no bother with a battery drill, I'd be rounding off the screw heads on the bolts though. 

Best would be some sort of attachment to the bottom of the door, into the concrete in the ground, probably do-able with a battery drill too.

I'm no expert though. 

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...