• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
steppensheep

Planning to do

I've been reading self help books again.

Todo lists should cause the release of dopamine through the anticipation of the positive benefits of the activity. Make sure its achievable, as failure will increase frustration.

Detailed written planning for dealing with potential  problems  frees up the mind from worrying about them.

Feel free to make plans for more interesting things than just life's daily chores.

++++

Today, I'm going to organise and tidy up the kitchen cupboards

I am going to make a few phone calls, finish a job or two (or at least get loads done on them), do a few emails and get a new to do list done/update my existing one(s!). And not smoke a single roll up.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

It may work but then if you lose the bloody list, that causes even more stress.  Best not to do anything at all and drink gin.  xD

Terrible advice, just terrible!!

Gin is horrible!

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Go on then.  What drink would you recommend?  B|

Tea. It wasn't just the drink bit but the bit about doing nothing too. Doing nothing is moving backwards, worse than not moving at all.

I did start this joking, now I'm being serious.

:Geek:

3 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Tea. It wasn't just the drink bit but the bit about doing nothing too. Doing nothing is moving backwards, worse than not moving at all.

I did start this joking, now I'm being serious.

:Geek:

Yeah I was joking too.  About the gin.  Well a bit.  

Seriuosly, I don't like lists. They stress me out.  I work on the premise that if I can't remember it, then it is probably not worth doing.  For technical stuff I would do a list but not as an aide memoire. I was serious about losing the bloody thing.  

Start your list with two things you've already done today. Tick them off.

Do something unpleasant on the list (bite the head off a frog in self-help speak) and then have a reward,. Have the reward on the list so you can tick that off too.

To Do lists can be very helpful and I employ them a lot in my life.

My current one for example has the task, a long way up, "Clean Car". This job has been there for months, still not done, but heres the thing.

If I had actioned the job shortly after its annotation onto the list, I would by now be putting it back on the list as the car would have gotten dirty and it would be time to do it again. Not only have I still not washed the car, Ive saved myself the trouble of deleting the task from the list, only to have to put it back on again!

Edited by Mirror Mirror

21 minutes ago, One percent said:

Yeah I was joking too.  About the gin.  Well a bit.  

Seriuosly, I don't like lists. They stress me out.  I work on the premise that if I can't remember it, then it is probably not worth doing.  For technical stuff I would do a list but not as an aide memoire. I was serious about losing the bloody thing.  

Item 1: Hang a pin board up somewhere visible and pin my checklists on it.

Item 2: Go to the shop to stock up on Gin.

Item 3: ...

I do lots of mini lists, people who know me well enough to take the piss do so!

It's usually minor stuff / chores and the motivation is "Wouldn't it be great to get to 4pm with all this done" and when I do I screw up the list and throw it in the bin with the tremendous satisfaction of having planned to do all those things and successfully done them.

I find it really motivating and in writing the list picture the position of having done all of those things and tossing the ticked off list into the bin before having a well earned cup of tea.

The are usually things that can be done that day but can take a few days; anything longer than that doesn't go onto the list because it needs to be readily achievable in the near future.

Without lists I tend to put things off and stomp upon my leisure time by fretting about tasks undone, so what I can do by mid afternoon Saturday with a list to work through would drag out to Sunday evening without a list.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I do lots of mini lists, people who know me well enough to take the piss do so!

It's usually minor stuff / chores and the motivation is "Wouldn't it be great to get to 4pm with all this done" and when I do I screw up the list and throw it in the bin with the tremendous satisfaction of having planned to do all those things and successfully done them.

I find it really motivating and in writing the list picture the position of having done all of those things and tossing the ticked off list into the bin before having a well earned cup of tea.

The are usually things that can be done that day but can take a few days; anything longer than that doesn't go onto the list because it needs to be readily achievable in the near future.

Without lists I tend to put things off and stomp upon my leisure time by fretting about tasks undone, so what I can do by mid afternoon Saturday with a list to work through would drag out to Sunday evening without a list.

I am pretty much the same, I normally get 90% of them done. Have you heard of the 2 Minute Rule? This is something I continue to use, after reading about it a few years ago.

http://jamesclear.com/how-to-stop-procrastinating

It's the start of the equivalent of Christmas week here, Pchum Ben. Everything closed, no work.

Like every efficient expat, focused on my goals, I put a todo list together at the end of last week:

- Cured and slow cooked whole ham  _/

- Cases of Erdinger Dunkel  _/

- A roundel of Stilton  _/

The sense of achievement looking at the fridge this morning is amazing!

That actually worked quite well. I spent about 2 hrs cleaning the kitchen and tidying up, instead of watching youtube videos like I normally would have. Looks a lot better, but still plenty of work to do, so todays list is unchanged.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. Imagine screwing up todo list.

2. Clean kitchen. tidy and organise cupbords

3. reward myself with a banana, cocnut and papaya smoothie and by reading some web pages on linux mount points.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

19 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I am pretty much the same, I normally get 90% of them done. Have you heard of the 2 Minute Rule? This is something I continue to use, after reading about it a few years ago.

http://jamesclear.com/how-to-stop-procrastinating

Great link, bookmarked.

I've heard of it but thought it was just the standard rule - if it only takes two minutes then just do it rather than thinking about it - but he's extended that nicely.

That is something I will be rereading several times as when I have been at my most successful and productive I have absolutely been behaving like that but without having the underlying simple set of rules I also then lose it again.

Certainly when I got really fit a few years ago (and have started again, but nowhere near as successfully so far) it was that "get out the door quickly" approach to exercise that worked.  However tired I was or how bad the weather if I just change and get out of the door I will exercise and will (mostly) enjoy it; if I sit in looking at the outdoors and intending to go out in half an hour when it brightens up then I will rarely do it.

On 18/09/2017 at 11:48, Mirror Mirror said:

To Do lists can be very helpful and I employ them a lot in my life.

My current one for example has the task, a long way up, "Clean Car". This job has been there for months, still not done, but heres the thing.

If I had actioned the job shortly after its annotation onto the list, I would by now be putting it back on the list as the car would have gotten dirty and it would be time to do it again. Not only have I still not washed the car, Ive saved myself the trouble of deleting the task from the list, only to have to put it back on again!

This doesn't need to go on a list. The conventional method of reminder is to write 'Clean Me' in the dust on the boot. If you wait long enough you won't even need to write it as someone else will probably do it for you, though you might get 'I wish my wife was this dirty' as well. 

On 19/09/2017 at 22:08, sleepwello'nights said:

I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

'Tomorrow' is the greatest labour saving device ever invented. 

6 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Mañana, Mañana

Carlos - how's business? Have you been on the piss with ccc yet? 

I was just wondering what you're up to.

I'm off to bed. 👢