DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

A little Dosbods help with a meme?

DocH

The world has gone mad. Part of that madness is the pressure everywhere to institute a vaccine passport system. This seems to be the most sinister development in all the madness, as it looks like it will lead to some kind of Chinese style credit system of social control.

I'd really like to produce a kind of killer meme against the vaccine passport, such that its logic is so compelling that it is impossible to unthink it once seen.

I particularly want to produce one on the point of vaccine passports. Or rather the lack of one. Because they have no point: they don't distinguish between "safe" and "unsafe" people, so what's the point? To say "They will help getting back to normal" is kind of circular, because normality has been arbitrarily redefined, and there's no natural connection between having a passport and being allowed greater freedom - they’re both kind of made up.

Anyway, I've produced this:

TwoFigures.thumb.jpg.563a2ebdbe4cf7259e4b1663db080b8d.jpg

It's very much as a work in progress. Please don't just mock or say it's crap: if you want to comment, please make it a useful, constructive comment.

Thoughts?

Improvements on the wording?

Improvements on the symbolism?

Anyone good at artwork to improve any of the elements?

Basically, is there mileage in the basic idea here?

• Cheers 2

I think the guy on the right should also be brandishing a negative lateral flow test and not have the virus.

Edited by Boglet
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

You should also have a look through the white rose archive of covid stickers. Find then on telegram.

Or wander around my local area :ph34r:

Hail the Tripod

I really like the flowchart “Do the Covid vaccines work?” And then both Yes and No lead to “Then we don’t need vaccine passports.”

Can’t find it with a Google search unfortunately.:/

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Better memes have fewer words.

(c.f. "the left can't meme" meme)

You could have a top line that read:

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE

then your infectious graphic:

crop.jpg.0bb6da7e6e5cdcd97028d82320544517.jpg

Maybe make the stick figures both women / both men, so there's only one difference. Alternatively, could you make the non-passport figure be a "person of colour" / obvious discriminated-against minority? Also, you could overlay the spike clouds with scary words like "virus" or "infectious". Make them a nasty shade of green, a miasma. Maybe replace "Vaccine Passport" with "VAXPASS" in a bold font that's easy to read even if the meme is badly scaled / screenshotted /jpeg artifacted. Extra points for making the X in VAXPASS resemble a 卐. Could you make the vaccinated person wear a T-shirt with an iconic 💉 on it?

Then underneath:

WHAT'S THE REAL PURPOSE OF PASSPORTS?

Then beef up your "open door" / "no entry" dichotomy. Can you get graphics that say "job" or "shopping for food" versus "shut out of employment and shops"?

NOT SAFETY, BUT CONTROL!

• Cheers 1

Not exactly what you are looking for but I really like the "torn up QR code" one in the Covid Memes thread. 

JoeDavola

Yes you really want to put across the message that someone vaccinated with covid, who can pass it on, will be allowed into a nightclub, whereas someone who doesn't have any covid to pass on but isn't vaccinated, will not.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I really like the flowchart “Do the Covid vaccines work?” And then both Yes and No lead to “Then we don’t need vaccine passports.”

Theres a white rose sticker of that

• Cheers 1

You may want to jazz up your meme with some bold typeface, to make it more attention grabbing, i.e. Arial Bold seems to be the defacto meme font.

I don't know if it's catchy or punny enough either, although it depends who you're targetting. A lot of memes use visuals rather than text, but that may just be the circles I move in...

PS: I've been waiting to share this and yes it's 100% legit.

bj0YR6cG.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Yes, I've seen that, and I like it, but it's going to be met with the 9bjection "Ah, but if you're jabbed you get covid less severely, with the implication that that (somehow) makes all the difference.

Hail the Tripod
1 minute ago, DocH said:

Yes, I've seen that, and I like it, but it's going to be met with the 9bjection "Ah, but if you're jabbed you get covid less severely, with the implication that that (somehow) makes all the difference.

I like it precisely because it separates out arguments about the effectiveness of the jabs, from arguments about the effectiveness of the digital passes.

1 hour ago, apples said:

Better memes have fewer words.

(c.f. "the left can't meme" meme)

You could have a top line that read:

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE

then your infectious graphic:

crop.jpg.0bb6da7e6e5cdcd97028d82320544517.jpg

Maybe make the stick figures both women / both men, so there's only one difference. Alternatively, could you make the non-passport figure be a "person of colour" / obvious discriminated-against minority? Also, you could overlay the spike clouds with scary words like "virus" or "infectious". Make them a nasty shade of green, a miasma. Maybe replace "Vaccine Passport" with "VAXPASS" in a bold font that's easy to read even if the meme is badly scaled / screenshotted /jpeg artifacted. Extra points for making the X in VAXPASS resemble a 卐. Could you make the vaccinated person wear a T-shirt with an iconic 💉 on it?

Then underneath:

WHAT'S THE REAL PURPOSE OF PASSPORTS?

Then beef up your "open door" / "no entry" dichotomy. Can you get graphics that say "job" or "shopping for food" versus "shut out of employment and shops"?

NOT SAFETY, BUT CONTROL!

Thanks!!

I like the "Spot the Difference" idea, and it could be immediately followed by

"HINT - Either of them could give you covid!"

Plus several other good thoughts, eg same figure for both. Especially if the are identical even down to the bent arm holding the passport OR later flow cert.

Edited by DocH
Edited to add: not sure about the lateral flow cert in fig B