DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

SPAIN

spunko

I have never been to Spain and to be honest I didn't have much interest in going until recently. The Boozed Up Brits Abroad crowd doesn't appeal, and inland it just seems stifling hot.

But now that we are only really permitted to go to Spain, or a handful of other countries, and enjoy some sort of semblance of freedom, I have been looking into going in October with a mate.

Flights are dirt cheap, a return from Saaafend to Alicante is about £50 return in October on SleazyJet. I'd like to go to the Costa Blanca at least once just to see it. Anyone got any suggestions of places to go/avoid? Torremolinos and Benidorm look a bit shit, but they might not be that bad. My mate wants to go to Benidorm because he saw the ITV series.

Main requirements are good nightlife, I don't mind a few toothless Brits with tats and bellies, but don't want to be the only one who isn't a landwhale.

hmmm, all the 'brit holiday resorts' pretty gros methinks, I went to a few many years ago.....some of them are really bad yikes

Barcelona is quite cool and some decent beaches

I'd defo avoid places like Benidorm like the fukkin plague!

don't discount Northern Spain either, some cool beaches and you've got the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao

vamos a la playa :)

• Agree 1

swiss_democracy_for_all

Froggy colleague recommended Seville, she wanted to move there when a job came up. Might be a nice temperature in October too. However for the nightlife you might be at a disadvantage if you no speaka da lingo.

It's a problem really, if you want to avoid the rougher Brit elements and meet friendlier natives, it's best to go to a more native place, but obviously there will be more of a language barrier away from Brit hotspots.

Edit :- San Sebastian is absolutely beautiful and would have everything you want I suspect, great bars, food, clubs, beaches, surf, incredible scenery, no rough Brit element but still a lot of English spoken, but the climate is iffy, a warm summer generally but no dryer than Kent, so October, well it'd be a risk.

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

r u gonna hire a car? Sitges just south of Barcelona is a cool n trendy hangout......gays used to go there (not me lol)

probs some cool n trendy clubs around there

if you insist on going down the south bit, I heard Cartagena is quite cool, I think more 'upmarket types' go there lol

Edited by nirvana

My dad's got a place in javea. 

Javea is a cracking wee place not far north of benidorm. Moraira too. 75 mins or so from Alicante airport. 

Both very much non benidorm. Mostly Spanish. Good fun to have but still fairly classy. 

I would still actually recommend benidorm for a laugh. It's actually very clean. Beach is lovely. Yes the high rises aren't the most pretty but it gets an overly bad reputation imo. 

The old town is very pleasant. 

A week between those three places would give you a great intro to the area and with no long drives involved. If you're into walking - or even not-  the hike up Montgo in javea is cracking and views are amazing. 

I can also provide food recommendations if required. :Old:

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

SpectrumFX

Flights to Tenerife can be dirt cheap.

I went out there a couple of years ago with a mate to see another mate who'd been living out there. It's not the classiest place in the world, but there are some nicer bits. I stayed in Medano which was pleasant and fairly quiet. It's supposed to be popular with surfers, but I just got pissed.

Edited by SpectrumFX

I've not been to Barcelona, but I liked Madrid. It's not like Benidorm, and I didn't complain about the lack of brown sauce. Learn a few words of the lingo.

• Agree 2

Gloommonger

I have family in Malaga, would highly recommend it. The old town has the cafe culture, loads of restaurants,  a real buzz vibe, no British culture, a few Irish pubs. If you want beach, get an Airbnb in Torremolinos as close to the beach as you can. It's clean, has a 2 mile promenade of low rise bars, restaurants, shops and isn't chavy at all. Loads to do round the area too. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

21 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

I have family in Malaga, would highly recommend it.

looks like a decent location to set up camp....not too far from Portugal and you can get a ferry across to Morocco

How did they deal with the brexit malarky and getting a 'permit to stay'?

oh yeah and what are the temps in the winter?

Edited by nirvana

11 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Remind me - can you actually travel to these places without being double jabbed now?

Yes. You need to take one of those covid tests within 2 days. the Spanish don't seem to care about covid from what I've heard.

• Informative 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gloommonger said:

I have family in Malaga, would highly recommend it. The old town has the cafe culture, loads of restaurants,  a real buzz vibe, no British culture, a few Irish pubs. If you want beach, get an Airbnb in Torremolinos as close to the beach as you can. It's clean, has a 2 mile promenade of low rise bars, restaurants, shops and isn't chavy at all. Loads to do round the area too. 

See I always thought of Malaga as Essex Gangster On Sea. Gary Linekers knob head brother lives there and that's the image I have of the place.

Oh wait it turns out he actually lives in Ibiza now.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/14157542/wayne-lineker-wild-life-chloe-ferry-engagement/

Gloommonger
7 minutes ago, spunko said:

See I always thought of Malaga as Essex Gangster On Sea. Gary Linekers knob head brother lives there and that's the image I have of the place.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/14157542/wayne-lineker-wild-life-chloe-ferry-engagement/

I thought same. Tourists often fly to malaga to get to other resorts like Marbella but it's overlooked as a holiday destination. You can also ski in Sierra Nevada, 2 hour drive from Malaga.

Gloommonger
1 hour ago, nirvana said:

looks like a decent location to set up camp....not too far from Portugal and you can get a ferry across to Morocco

How did they deal with the brexit malarky and getting a 'permit to stay'?

oh yeah and what are the temps in the winter?

Wife's family, all Colombian. 

Winter is between 10 and 20 degrees, mostly around 17, 18. Europe's southern most city.

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, spunko said:

I thought he was in Majorca lol Sure there is a Lineker's bar in Pollensa...

21 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

You can also ski in Sierra Nevada

aye good point, good for cycling there too, looking like an interesting retirement spot lol

15 hours ago, ccc said:

My dad's got a place in javea. 

Javea is a cracking wee place not far north of benidorm. Moraira too. 75 mins or so from Alicante airport. 

Both very much non benidorm. Mostly Spanish. Good fun to have but still fairly classy. 

I would still actually recommend benidorm for a laugh. It's actually very clean. Beach is lovely. Yes the high rises aren't the most pretty but it gets an overly bad reputation imo. 

The old town is very pleasant. 

A week between those three places would give you a great intro to the area and with no long drives involved. If you're into walking - or even not-  the hike up Montgo in javea is cracking and views are amazing. 

I can also provide food recommendations if required. :Old:

Cheers. Obviously a holiday with someone else is partly about compromise... My ideal holiday/break would be 2 nights in the Old Town of Benidorm getting pissed. Then 2 nights somewhere else a bit more traditional and Spanish. I would much rather eat tapas than a fry up...

22 minutes ago, spunko said:

Cheers. Obviously a holiday with someone else is partly about compromise... My ideal holiday/break would be 2 nights in the Old Town of Benidorm getting pissed. Then 2 nights somewhere else a bit more traditional and Spanish. I would much rather eat tapas than a fry up...

Well Benidorm then Javea would be a great choice for you two. :Beer:

Lots of stuff starts to shut down end September so likely will be quiet in your non Benidorm spots. But that's most of these places in Spain at that time of year. Hence why flights cheap. 

You could also get the ferry from just north of Javea to Ibiza if you fancied. 3 hrs each way. Lots of options up that way. 

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, ccc said:

Well Benidorm then Javea would be a great choice for you two. :Beer:

Lots of stuff starts to shut down end September so likely will be quiet in your non Benidorm spots. But that's most of these places in Spain at that time of year. Hence why flights cheap. 

You could also get the ferry from just north of Javea to Ibiza if you fancied. 3 hrs each way. Lots of options up that way. 

From what I've read, Benidorm is quite busy in October for the first couple of weeks. It's not really 'dead' until after their Fiesta thing, which IIRC is early November. That was pre-Covid though so who knows.

I've been watching Bargain Loving Brits In The Sun on Channel 5 just to see what Benidorm is, err, about :D

41 minutes ago, spunko said:

From what I've read, Benidorm is quite busy in October for the first couple of weeks. It's not really 'dead' until after their Fiesta thing, which IIRC is early November. That was pre-Covid though so who knows.

I've been watching Bargain Loving Brits In The Sun on Channel 5 just to see what Benidorm is, err, about :D

Yes Benidorm is usually actually a year round resort. Even in winter and the weather not great it can be fairly busy. Not sure about this year with all the covid nonsense though. 

I was meaning the other smaller 'nicer' type Spanish resorts like Javea or Moraira. End of September is when things start to shut down. But its certainly not everything. I have been there in October before and still plenty to do. Very nice and chilled too and the weather can be cracking. Low to mid 20's. 

We need some pics of you in Benidorm. 

12 minutes ago, ccc said:

We need some pics of you in Benidorm. 

Me with the ex. I really miss her smile.

benidorm-alicante-province-spain-31st-jan-2020-overweight-british-tourists-relaxing-in-the-sun-at-levante-beach-2AT7N9K.jpg

• Bogged 1
  • Lol 3
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, spunko said:

Me with the ex. I really miss her smile

you look a lot older without your bow tie on...

• Lol 1

10 hours ago, MrPin said:

I've not been to Barcelona, but I liked Madrid. It's not like Benidorm, and I didn't complain about the lack of brown sauce. Learn a few words of the lingo.

I'll 2nd Madrid, far preferred it to Barcelona.

Ibiza is nice if you splash a bit of cash and stay in Ibiza Town.