DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

cutting metal or plastic to make funky things

nirvana

Question

I haven't even got a vice :CryBaby: but any tips for making a bracket like this?

are those black bits plastic or carbon fibre? I could buy some steel or alloy easily enough but how to cut the banana shaped holes so the motor can move and put pressure on the tyre?

5.jpg

3.jpg

13 answers to this question

Carl Fimble

What about a scroll saw, or a hand operated version (a fret saw)?

Obviously you'd need metal cutting blades if you were cutting metal, plastic would probably be fine with fine teeth- so a metal blade or a fine toothed wood blade. 

Both have removable blades so you could drill a wee hole first to get any internal cuts started. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Carl Fimble said:

What about a scroll saw, or a hand operated version (a fret saw)?

Obviously you'd need metal cutting blades if you were cutting metal, plastic would probably be fine with fine teeth- so a metal blade or a fine toothed wood blade. 

Both have removable blades so you could drill a wee hole first to get any internal cuts started. 

yeah maybe I just need to scrounge a few bits o metal/solid plastic first and just 'mess around' with them a bit.....

shame you can't scrounge stuff at the tip anymore, they have all those bloody organised skips now

Looks like carbon fibre sheet.

Car boot/ gumtree / facebook  find yourself a decent small (1/4 shank)  handheld router - either double handled one or even a trimmer (single anded version). Small router bit and make some guides/templates and a guide bush and you could knock out pretty much anything out of wood/plastic sheet material to a pretty much finished standard in one cut   - save all the whittling /hacking / sawing for the templates. 

You can make the curved slot using a trammel/pin arrangement.

With above tool/arrangement you can practice as much as you like on cheap MDF/other sheet material until you are happy with the templates.

With care (but wouldn't start with it) you can cut alumni with a router, there are special fluted cutters for the job, need to buy the right one and understand the difference between bits that can plunge cut and bits that are side cut only.

• Informative 2

37 minutes ago, nirvana said:

yeah maybe I just need to scrounge a few bits o metal/solid plastic first and just 'mess around' with them a bit.....

shame you can't scrounge stuff at the tip anymore, they have all those bloody organised skips now

Local commercial scrap yard might let you pick out some material, take stuff to chop, get to know them and ask, take a tabard.

• Cheers 1

If you only have an occasional need for one-offs, diy is not the cheapest option, it is the most expensive. 

Find a small order 3D milling/printing service and pay their price.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

36 minutes ago, jm51 said:

If you only have an occasional need for one-offs, diy is not the cheapest option, it is the most expensive. 

Find a small order 3D milling/printing service and pay their price.

yeah problem is though I don't know the exact size to fit to the bike so I need to do a bit of 'experimentation' first to see what fits......I keep thinking I might buy a 3D printer so.....

28 minutes ago, nirvana said:

yeah problem is though I don't know the exact size to fit to the bike so I need to do a bit of 'experimentation' first to see what fits......I keep thinking I might buy a 3D printer so.....

Might struggle with strength of the parts, unless ABS and then you need heated bed and cover / air extraction preferably. If you want together into 3D printing then why not, if not you will find theme taken to model and print more of a chore than a benefit probably. Paper engineering and wood templating still have their uses., especially for anything over the size of a tennis ball.

• Informative 1

Ebay or AliExpress and save the hassle - I'd expect the cost* will be well worth it for the time it will save you.

*Not something I know about but everything I look for is so cheap I don't know how they make any profit...

2 hours ago, Andersen said:

Ebay or AliExpress and save the hassle - I'd expect the cost* will be well worth it for the time it will save you.

*Not something I know about but everything I look for is so cheap I don't know how they make any profit...

tried that, couldn't find anything...

23 hours ago, nirvana said:

If you buy a 3D printer or mill, you'll need to learn CAD. Or, there are people who will create CAD files from your drawings.

If you can create your own CAD files, you won't need a 3D printer or mill as there is lots of surplus capacity.

If you go the diy route and make it the old fashioned way, the final quality won't be better than the quality of the workholding.

• Cheers 1

I don't know the exact size to fit to the bike so I need to do a bit of 'experimentation' first to see what fits

If diy, make it from 3mm mdf. Dirt cheap so you can make a number parts until you know exactly what sizes you need.

• Informative 1