DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

joining wires

nirvana

Question

21 answers to this question

Chewing Grass

Pass, but looks like a high current speed controller so you can't go wrong with solder as a poor mechanical joint will cause heat at high loads.

• Informative 1

59 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Pass, but looks like a high current speed controller

aye it's a VESC thingy Electronic Speed Controller, open source used for skateboards normally

so 2 wires for the battery feed and 3 wires to the motor, I've got an arduino and can link a thumb throttle to it

Bobthebuilder

Always best to solder wires together if possible, better joint=better electron flow.

Plus many other things you can solder together, soldering is a good skill to have, and soldering irons are really cool to.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Always best to solder wires together if possible, better joint=better electron flow.

Plus many other things you can solder together, soldering is a good skill to have, and soldering irons are really cool to.

yeah I have actually got one, i've tried soldering a couple o times but felt I was shit at it...

that's a 5mm sleave, would you heat that up more than the wire then just 'bung the solder on'?

thing is the hole for the wire is only a few mm deep

Bobthebuilder
8 minutes ago, nirvana said:

yeah I have actually got one, i've tried soldering a couple o times but felt I was shit at it...

that's a 5mm sleave, would you heat that up more than the wire then just 'bung the solder on'?

thing is the hole for the wire is only a few mm deep

If it was me, I would strip the wires back a bit, twist them together, then solder them.

The trick to soldering is a well tinned tip and good flux.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

If it was me, I would strip the wires back a bit, twist them together, then solder them.

The trick to soldering is a well tinned tip and good flux.

bizarrely it looks like there is already solder on the ends of all 5 wires O.o 

Bobthebuilder

I solder these model railway track parts together. Takes me about 10 minutes, people sell these on ebay for £12-£15.

IMG_20201206_142336.thumb.jpg.786f0b5a81796b03f3d5603c72c25460.jpg

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I solder these model railway track parts together. Takes me about 10 minutes, people sell these on ebay for £12-£15

ooh marvellous! I used to love my Hornby trains when I was a kid, kept them for decades but when I got chucked out my house and ran off to foreign lands I had to cut down on my possessions so a very happy French chap got loads o trains, Corgi and Matchbox toys at a bargain price! I had that goods train that picked up parcels and one that puffed smoke.... :CryBaby:

Edited by nirvana
  • Bogged 1

Bobthebuilder
5 minutes ago, nirvana said:

so a very happy French chap got loads o trains, Corgi and Matchbox toys at a bargain price! I had that goods train that picked up parcels and one that puffed smoke

Ah see, like your shares, you sold them too early.

That pick up goods train is worth a bob or two now, the smoking train even more, cannot even find them for sale.

• Bogged 2

19 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Ah see, like your shares, you sold them too early.

That pick up goods train is worth a bob or two now, the smoking train even more, cannot even find them for sale.

@nirvana

POMP EET xD

• Bogged 2

It can be quite tricky trading 'large cap' for a short termist like me xD

yeah I missed out on 50% on BT but 50% was pretty good! :P Look at Voda, they've behaved like a dog in comparison and cos I'm normally pretty good with stop losses I sold all my Cuntrica early and saved a fortune :Old:

the Oilies did well but if I'd concentrated on the underlying commodity rather than thinking 'ooh juicy divis' which amounted to sweet FA in real terms I woulda done a lot better there, anyway, for the diary lol 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, nirvana said:

ok see the gold sleeve over the red wire with a tiny hole in it? why the hole?

is it best to solder that thing on?

IMG_20210908_140858.jpg

It looks like part of an EC3 battery connector -> 

• Cheers 1

Bobthebuilder
38 minutes ago, nirvana said:

yeah I missed out on 50% on BT

I was talking about Royal Mail, I sold the lot at £3.50.

1 minute ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I was talking about Royal Mail, I sold the lot at £3.50.

yeah but as always depends what you bought at lol

I think I had 10k (no of ukkin shares) at one stage lol lol lol lol or maybe notxD

Mirror Mirror
19 hours ago, nirvana said:

ok see the gold sleeve over the red wire with a tiny hole in it? why the hole?

is it best to solder that thing on?

IMG_20210908_140858.jpg

Maybe the hole acts as witness that the solder has run along the length of the joint?

I doubt that the hole is for wire that gets soldered as it will be a twat to solder correctly.

The golden rule for soldering is that the iron isn't to melt the solder, it's to get the wire hot enough that the wire melts the solder. All of the gold coloured fitting would need to be heated up and the plastic close to the hole will melt or at least distort.

To get good at soldering, get some de-soldering braid and remove components from scrap electronics. Then solder them back in. With a practice, even soldering flea sized surface mount components is easy enough.

If you can find it, fluxed solder that uses lead is best. The lead free stuff is harder to use.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1