DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Back to some core strength training with weights

haroldshand

haroldshand

I have been training well  over Covid and this Summer though the drinking has crept up a little, but my diet is mostly good. I have being doing plenty of cycling and openwater swimming and jogging if a gun is put to my head. But I have really noticed my weight creeping up even though I am eating a little less while at the same time my muscle mass is getting less while body fat  getting higher. I do some squats and bench pressing at home but this just is not cutting it and as much as I hate gyms I have now returned to do some real core strength training for my cycling and swimming.

I know muscle burns more calories than fat and so it's back to the gym and pack on 10lb to 14 lb of muscle in the next 4 months while taking off as much fat, my program is 3 sessions a week doing real core exercises such as deadlifts and squats and presses and getting in and out in 1 hour, like I said I hate gyms.

But so far so bad, after a few sessions now I have gone through the aches and pains and cobwebs, but I just not getting the motivation, I am not down in the dumps or anything but I just feel no yuk and limp and I never normally have a problem with training well.

Any ideas anyone, like I said I am doing 3 days per week and being in my 50's now is as much as I should take on, each day revolves around either the squats, dead lifts and the 3rd being bench presses with supplementary exercises to fill and making sure body parts get at least 48 hours good recovery.

Any good programs or advice welcome and most importantly sort my f*****g head

44 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

I have been training well  over Covid and this Summer though the drinking has crept up a little, but my diet is mostly good. I have being doing plenty of cycling and openwater swimming and jogging if a gun is put to my head. But I have really noticed my weight creeping up even though I am eating a little less while at the same time my muscle mass is getting less while body fat  getting higher. I do some squats and bench pressing at home but this just is not cutting it and as much as I hate gyms I have now returned to do some real core strength training for my cycling and swimming.

I know muscle burns more calories than fat and so it's back to the gym and pack on 10lb to 14 lb of muscle in the next 4 months while taking off as much fat, my program is 3 sessions a week doing real core exercises such as deadlifts and squats and presses and getting in and out in 1 hour, like I said I hate gyms.

But so far so bad, after a few sessions now I have gone through the aches and pains and cobwebs, but I just not getting the motivation, I am not down in the dumps or anything but I just feel no yuk and limp and I never normally have a problem with training well.

Any ideas anyone, like I said I am doing 3 days per week and being in my 50's now is as much as I should take on, each day revolves around either the squats, dead lifts and the 3rd being bench presses with supplementary exercises to fill and making sure body parts get at least 48 hours good recovery.

Maybe because you've done it lots before it's just got boring to you ? 

I find I go through stages of that. Try something new ? 

Boxing is great. You got a local club ?

haroldshand
24 minutes ago, ccc said:

Maybe because you've done it lots before it's just got boring to you ? 

I find I go through stages of that. Try something new ? 

Boxing is great. You got a local club ?

Boxing training is brilliant and it has probably given me my best fitness ever, it was because  I was getting down to light welter and training like a mad man that I ended up doing a 2 hour 47 marathon close to the end of my training.

And yes the weights are dull and I have stayed out of the gym for a few years now, but what I need now is to pack on muscle and core strength in order to do the sports I don'f find boring, boxing won;t do that though it would be a good bit of cross training for me.

• Informative 1

stop_the_craziness

I have to do core and back stuff for cycling as well as stretching/physio stuff and it's all as boring as fuck to me.

I get through the stretching & physio whilst having a distraction (watching tv) and for the core/back I do psychological tricks on myself, like doing 3x8 reps because it feels like cheating to not do 3x10 and therefore it doesn't put me off so much from doing it the next time so I find I don't skip sessions.

I also focus on how much better it makes me feel and how much it contributes to improving the things I do enjoy.  And it's the thing that makes you look "fit", whereas no one can see you've got a cracking heart and lungs so a bit of vanity also gets me through the last push.  But it's boring and there's never any end or any goal to achieve, just the rest of your life still doing it.  Am I helping?  :CryBaby:

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
swiss_democracy_for_all

On 10/09/2021 at 18:11, haroldshand said:

Find an active yoga class, something like ashtanga, where the teacher is a gorgeous woman, not inappropriately young, who you get on ok with. A little eye candy and mild flirtation will work wonders for the motivation, and the fitness benefits are excellent. If it doesn’t work, check your testosterone levels. 

6 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Find an active yoga class, something like ashtanga, where the teacher is a gorgeous woman, not inappropriately young, who you get on ok with. A little eye candy and mild flirtation will work wonders for the motivation, and the fitness benefits are excellent. If it doesn’t work, check your testosterone levels. 

Impossible in a yoga class as they all have to be over 18 !!:D