Jump to content
DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

IGNORED

Back to some core strength training with weights


haroldshand

Recommended Posts

I have been training well  over Covid and this Summer though the drinking has crept up a little, but my diet is mostly good. I have being doing plenty of cycling and openwater swimming and jogging if a gun is put to my head. But I have really noticed my weight creeping up even though I am eating a little less while at the same time my muscle mass is getting less while body fat  getting higher. I do some squats and bench pressing at home but this just is not cutting it and as much as I hate gyms I have now returned to do some real core strength training for my cycling and swimming.

I know muscle burns more calories than fat and so it's back to the gym and pack on 10lb to 14 lb of muscle in the next 4 months while taking off as much fat, my program is 3 sessions a week doing real core exercises such as deadlifts and squats and presses and getting in and out in 1 hour, like I said I hate gyms.

But so far so bad, after a few sessions now I have gone through the aches and pains and cobwebs, but I just not getting the motivation, I am not down in the dumps or anything but I just feel no yuk and limp and I never normally have a problem with training well.

Any ideas anyone, like I said I am doing 3 days per week and being in my 50's now is as much as I should take on, each day revolves around either the squats, dead lifts and the 3rd being bench presses with supplementary exercises to fill and making sure body parts get at least 48 hours good recovery.

Any good programs or advice welcome and most importantly sort my f*****g head

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

I have been training well  over Covid and this Summer though the drinking has crept up a little, but my diet is mostly good. I have being doing plenty of cycling and openwater swimming and jogging if a gun is put to my head. But I have really noticed my weight creeping up even though I am eating a little less while at the same time my muscle mass is getting less while body fat  getting higher. I do some squats and bench pressing at home but this just is not cutting it and as much as I hate gyms I have now returned to do some real core strength training for my cycling and swimming.

I know muscle burns more calories than fat and so it's back to the gym and pack on 10lb to 14 lb of muscle in the next 4 months while taking off as much fat, my program is 3 sessions a week doing real core exercises such as deadlifts and squats and presses and getting in and out in 1 hour, like I said I hate gyms.

But so far so bad, after a few sessions now I have gone through the aches and pains and cobwebs, but I just not getting the motivation, I am not down in the dumps or anything but I just feel no yuk and limp and I never normally have a problem with training well.

Any ideas anyone, like I said I am doing 3 days per week and being in my 50's now is as much as I should take on, each day revolves around either the squats, dead lifts and the 3rd being bench presses with supplementary exercises to fill and making sure body parts get at least 48 hours good recovery.

Any good programs or advice welcome and most importantly sort my f*****g head

Maybe because you've done it lots before it's just got boring to you ? 

I find I go through stages of that. Try something new ? 

Boxing is great. You got a local club ?

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, ccc said:

Maybe because you've done it lots before it's just got boring to you ? 

I find I go through stages of that. Try something new ? 

Boxing is great. You got a local club ?

Boxing training is brilliant and it has probably given me my best fitness ever, it was because  I was getting down to light welter and training like a mad man that I ended up doing a 2 hour 47 marathon close to the end of my training.

And yes the weights are dull and I have stayed out of the gym for a few years now, but what I need now is to pack on muscle and core strength in order to do the sports I don'f find boring, boxing won;t do that though it would be a good bit of cross training for me.

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

stop_the_craziness

I have to do core and back stuff for cycling as well as stretching/physio stuff and it's all as boring as fuck to me.

I get through the stretching & physio whilst having a distraction (watching tv) and for the core/back I do psychological tricks on myself, like doing 3x8 reps because it feels like cheating to not do 3x10 and therefore it doesn't put me off so much from doing it the next time so I find I don't skip sessions.

I also focus on how much better it makes me feel and how much it contributes to improving the things I do enjoy.  And it's the thing that makes you look "fit", whereas no one can see you've got a cracking heart and lungs so a bit of vanity also gets me through the last push.  But it's boring and there's never any end or any goal to achieve, just the rest of your life still doing it.  Am I helping?  :CryBaby:

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
swiss_democracy_for_all

 

On 10/09/2021 at 18:11, haroldshand said:

I have been training well  over Covid and this Summer though the drinking has crept up a little, but my diet is mostly good. I have being doing plenty of cycling and openwater swimming and jogging if a gun is put to my head. But I have really noticed my weight creeping up even though I am eating a little less while at the same time my muscle mass is getting less while body fat  getting higher. I do some squats and bench pressing at home but this just is not cutting it and as much as I hate gyms I have now returned to do some real core strength training for my cycling and swimming.

I know muscle burns more calories than fat and so it's back to the gym and pack on 10lb to 14 lb of muscle in the next 4 months while taking off as much fat, my program is 3 sessions a week doing real core exercises such as deadlifts and squats and presses and getting in and out in 1 hour, like I said I hate gyms.

But so far so bad, after a few sessions now I have gone through the aches and pains and cobwebs, but I just not getting the motivation, I am not down in the dumps or anything but I just feel no yuk and limp and I never normally have a problem with training well.

Any ideas anyone, like I said I am doing 3 days per week and being in my 50's now is as much as I should take on, each day revolves around either the squats, dead lifts and the 3rd being bench presses with supplementary exercises to fill and making sure body parts get at least 48 hours good recovery.

Any good programs or advice welcome and most importantly sort my f*****g head

Find an active yoga class, something like ashtanga, where the teacher is a gorgeous woman, not inappropriately young, who you get on ok with. A little eye candy and mild flirtation will work wonders for the motivation, and the fitness benefits are excellent. If it doesn’t work, check your testosterone levels. 

  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

 

Find an active yoga class, something like ashtanga, where the teacher is a gorgeous woman, not inappropriately young, who you get on ok with. A little eye candy and mild flirtation will work wonders for the motivation, and the fitness benefits are excellent. If it doesn’t work, check your testosterone levels. 

Impossible in a yoga class as they all have to be over 18 !!:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
haroldshand

Back in the gym now doing weights and loving it this time.

Main reason is  I am leaving my ego in the changing room and have dropped my weight and doing more reps and sets, anywhere up to 15 and failure. And also just working around good core exercises, dead lifts, squats, bench press, rows, and military press and begin the session with a 3 mile warm up run.

Leave the gym 1 hr 20 min max and feel great and zero pain in my joints at the moment, should be a great bonus to my triathlon training which really gets going in April

  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ElKapitan84

I've been trying high reps lately.  Poundstone curls have left my biceps in (a good) type of agony.  I do believe in mixing things up a lot more now.

Eugen Sandow was a high rep guy IIRC.

My joints and psyche are getting pretty bored of constant heavy shit.

I've slowed rep speed and increased strictness and the old pump is back.  The pump is amazing.

Edited by ElKapitan84
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ElKapitan84 said:

I've been trying high reps lately.  Poundstone curls have left my biceps in (a good) type of agony.  I do believe in mixing things up a lot more now.

Eugen Sandow was a high rep guy IIRC.

My joints and psyche are getting pretty bored of constant heavy shit.

I've slowed rep speed and increased strictness and the old pump is back.  The pump is amazing.

If you really want to fuck yourself up properly do some drop-sets... Basically a combination of heavy and high reps.

Destroys the CNS so you'll be walking out shaking...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haven't had any trouble motivating myself to go to the gym, I just (discreetly, we don't want to be the resident perv) observe the talent as I lift and the hours just fly by.

Rolling regime of chest, back and shoulder/arm days (legs every session) with rest days as and when they fall due to family commitments when I tend to fill in with some cycling (10 or 20 miles depending on time available) to keep the resting rate low.

In the best form of my life currently (I am 45) and as of today (I always start on Valentine's day) I start cutting ready for the summer. I have bulked up considerably more than previous years, primarily because I didn't cut at all in 2021 (it was a permabulk year :-)).

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bricormortis

I have developed pain in the joint where the collar bone meets the front of the shoulder, I am treating it with a hot water bottle to get some circulation to the sinews. Any one got experience of this and possible healing times  or advice ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bricormortis said:

I have developed pain in the joint where the collar bone meets the front of the shoulder, I am treating it with a hot water bottle to get some circulation to the sinews. Any one got experience of this and possible healing times  or advice ?

Food - protein, salt (10-15g per day), fish oil, green veg

Recovery - keep it active, with lower weights if necessary

Don't bother with heat or ice, it's bollocks. Stay off anti-inflammatory meds, inflammation is good. Don't ever do upward pressing movements

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bricormortis
32 minutes ago, Stuey said:

Food - protein, salt (10-15g per day), fish oil, green veg

Recovery - keep it active, with lower weights if necessary

Don't bother with heat or ice, it's bollocks. Stay off anti-inflammatory meds, inflammation is good. Don't ever do upward pressing movements

Hi Stuey,and thankyou, my diet is sorted.

I read recently that salt depletes testosterone.

I am a bit confused what you mean by upward pressing movement, if I raise a weight above my head isn't that an upward pressing movement ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Bricormortis said:

Hi Stuey,and thankyou, my diet is sorted.

I read recently that salt depletes testosterone.

I am a bit confused what you mean by upward pressing movement, if I raise a weight above my head isn't that an upward pressing movement ?

Yeah - above head pressing.

Of course if you're flat on a horizontal bench then upward pressing is fine ;)

I'm experimenting with salt at the moment at least 5g twice a day, and seem to be flying in the gym rather than going through the motions

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
haroldshand
On 14/02/2022 at 19:14, t_v 🏅 said:

Haven't had any trouble motivating myself to go to the gym, I just (discreetly, we don't want to be the resident perv) observe the talent as I lift and the hours just fly by.

Rolling regime of chest, back and shoulder/arm days (legs every session) with rest days as and when they fall due to family commitments when I tend to fill in with some cycling (10 or 20 miles depending on time available) to keep the resting rate low.

In the best form of my life currently (I am 45) and as of today (I always start on Valentine's day) I start cutting ready for the summer. I have bulked up considerably more than previous years, primarily because I didn't cut at all in 2021 (it was a permabulk year :-)).

I am working my sessions around dead lifts and squats with bench presses and military presses an important second priority.

I am well in my 50's now and have found short sharp sessions work better for me now and even just two workouts a week do the job. Next time I drop the gym for a while and just focus on my Tri disciplines I am going to devote a small corner of my home to deads and squats and just do them, was looking for a 150 kg kettlebell last week and something far smaller for goblin squats which is plenty weight for me these days, but you cannot get anything over 100 kg for kettlebells.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 29/05/2022 at 10:59, haroldshand said:

Tri disciplines I am going to devote a small corner of my home to deads and squats and just do them, was looking for a 150 kg kettlebell last week and something far smaller for goblin squats which is plenty weight for me these days, but you cannot get anything over 100 kg for kettlebells.

spacer.png

?????

 

Edited by SNACR
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Joined a gym, went Tuesday and Wednesday with my cousin who's been going for a while. Had a go, as you do. Fuck me, been crawling round the house like Christy Brown yesterday and today with the after effects. :D 

I'll get back in there Monday when I can walk again 

Edited by lid
.
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1
  • Lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, lid said:

Joined a gym, went Tuesday and Wednesday with my cousin who's been going for a while. Had a go, as you do. Fuck me, been crawling round the house like Christy Brown yesterday and today with the after effects. :D 

I'll get back in there Monday when I can walk again 

Despite keeping up training through lockdowns, I was like this on April 13th 2021!

My usual workout was weighted pull ups, weighted dips & leg press. I replaced this with tree branch pull ups, weighted press ups and weighted hikes.

It was still no good o.O

Every rugby player knows the feeling Monday morning...

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...