• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cunning Plan

Low carb diet

Ok. Between you lot and posts on ToS, I am convinced that this is the way to go.

Problem is, whilst always home cooked, our staple menu is Thai and Indian curries, Italian (lasagne and tagliatelli), meat with potatoes.

We eat rice probably 4 times a week, if not more. Weekends will involve potatoes. 

How the hell do I cut out rice, naan, potatoes and pasta?

And I hate eggs.

All help gratefully received.

To add. I love toast. But I think I can avoid that.

I am  on day one of the same decision.  No more potatoes: done that months ago. No more bread; hamburgers without buns.  cheese all by itself, sardines and tuna: cheap meal actually add mayonnaise to flavor.  Boiled eggs: no more toast.  Veges by the bucket load and butter all over the place.  Only fruit for desert. 

Why?  Tux shirt getting tight and too cheap to buy another even if I could get one to fit properly.  Neck and chest fine waist  in trouble.  Can't change shirts so have to change me.   

Looks like you're shit out of luck :P

We have the same problem at home, I think the best I could manage would be a carb reduction, not resembling 'low'.

Cutting out sugar is the best step really.

A bit like this:

See the food about to go on the plate.  It will be stuff + rice/pasta/potato.  Put the stuff on the plate.  Don't put the rice/pasta/potato on the plate.  If you're hungry, eat more stuff.  Don't eat any rice/pasta/potato.

Obviously this sounds tongue-in-cheek.  It isn't.

9 minutes ago, Reebo said:

We have the same problem at home, I think the best I could manage would be a carb reduction, not resembling 'low'.

Sugars the first step, but then what.

Ive tried wheat elimination.  But I do a fantastic sourdough turned into loaves or pizza bases thin and crispy.  

or

Pasta cooked al dente tossed into a pan of sauted garlic and butter washed down with a glass of red. 

or

Rice, egg fried with veg and prawns. Creamy rissottos. Or just plain boiled with a big scoop of chilli, curry or stew on.

Potatoes, mashed with butter or cream, served with bangers veg and gravy. New little jersey ones served with lamb lashings of butter and gravy. All washed down with ales.

Its hard to give that up. It near impossible. And even when I do I end up feeling bereft of something, totally unsatisfied.

Still I truly believe its the way forward for better health and fitness. 

Fasting helps justify carbs to some extent. 

Millet dosas might be an option, like chapatis with indian food, so might try these myself, but a lot more work though.

Edit - or Gram flour as a substitute.

Edited by onlyme

16 minutes ago, Reebo said:

I don't really eat sugar. Never had a sweet tooth so don't eat chocolate, ice cream or such like.

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

I don't really eat sugar. Never had a sweet tooth so don't eat chocolate, ice cream or such like.

Just remember that sugar is in everything that used to have fat (before we made it evil), not just the sweets.

2 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

Try and go Vegan or Vegetarian through the week and have the odd treat on a weekend.

Avoid Carbs from processed foods,I'm sure carbs are fine from fruit and vegetables.

Thanks but I don't really want to go veggie. And the only processed food I eat (I think) is bread.

I think cutting out the rice is probably key. 

3 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

Try and go Vegan or Vegetarian through the week and have the odd treat on a weekend.

Avoid Carbs from processed foods,I'm sure carbs are fine from fruit and vegetables.

I think the current theories go something like -- if you have a 'normal' UK diet up to about 40 then it is often too late to just rely on 'healthy' carbs.  The only way to maintain health/weight is to restrict carbs to some extent.

50 minutes ago, dgul said:

A bit like this:

See the food about to go on the plate.  It will be stuff + rice/pasta/potato.  Put the stuff on the plate.  Don't put the rice/pasta/potato on the plate.  If you're hungry, eat more stuff.  Don't eat any rice/pasta/potato.

Obviously this sounds tongue-in-cheek.  It isn't.

This. If you want to eat the same kind of stuff, it's the only way. Eat your curry without the bread or rice, just have more. You need to up your fat intake to feel full unless you do it through physical volume, which is hard/expensive without carbs.

Sausages cooked the night before for breakfast, though on the weekend I'll add in fried eggs and fried smoked streaky. Black coffee.

I mostly eat meat, cheese and salad during the day.

Evening it will be:

Chicken, cheese and bacon (Kiev style) with broccoli, garlic mushrooms and asparagus.

Pork loin steaks fried in butter, with carrots, mushrooms, peppers, red onions and cherry tomatoes oven roasted in olive oil. This is amazing with some chilli salt.

Salad with boiled eggs, olives, smoked mackerel/salmon/prawns, parmesan.

Ribeye steak (eat all the fat! It's lovely!) with veg.

Smoked haddock poached in milk, with veg.

Basically, just don't eat the carby stuff and up your fat intake dramatically. Cheese is good. Butter is good. Pork is cheap and belly pork is so filling because of the fat. Sausages are easy to cook in bulk and eat cold.

Just some ideas...

Once you get into the habit, you won't miss carbs that much. We'll have a carb blowout every month or so and it just ends up making us feel ill as we're not used to it. Rather than sating a craving, it ends up reminding us that the body does much better with less carbs.

6 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

This. If you want to eat the same kind of stuff, it's the only way. Eat your curry without the bread or rice, just have more. You need to up your fat intake to feel full unless you do it through physical volume, which is hard/expensive without carbs.

Sausages cooked the night before for breakfast, though on the weekend I'll add in fried eggs and fried smoked streaky. Black coffee.

I mostly eat meat, cheese and salad during the day.

Evening it will be:

Chicken, cheese and bacon (Kiev style) with broccoli, garlic mushrooms and asparagus.

Pork loin steaks fried in butter, with carrots, mushrooms, peppers, red onions and cherry tomatoes oven roasted in olive oil. This is amazing with some chilli salt.

Salad with boiled eggs, olives, smoked mackerel/salmon/prawns, parmesan.

Ribeye steak (eat all the fat! It's lovely!) with veg.

Smoked haddock poached in milk, with veg.

Basically, just don't eat the carby stuff and up your fat intake dramatically. Cheese is good. Butter is good. Pork is cheap and belly pork is so filling because of the fat. Sausages are easy to cook in bulk and eat cold.

Just some ideas...

Once you get into the habit, you won't miss carbs that much. We'll have a carb blowout every month or so and it just ends up making us feel ill as we're not used to it. Rather than sating a craving, it ends up reminding us that the body does much better with less carbs.

Ok. I get that (though smoked haddock without mash is a tough call).

Bit like we used to have a dominos pizza which was great - but now I find them so salty I feel quite ill after a couple of slices.

I suppose it is all about getting used to it.

Ah, you'll get back into salt on low carb! Electrolytes are very important, especially in the first few weeks. Sodium, potassium and magnesium need to be kept up. I'll often add a teaspoon of low salt to a bottle of water to get potassium into me. There is a level where it's barely perceptible, but definitely getting enough into you.

If you don't, you'll likely experience lethargy and headaches. Google 'low carb flu'. Coconut oil is also helpful for getting easily processed triglycerides into you. I have a pot on my desk at work, and just eat a spoonful when I can't get enough fat through what I'm eating that day. It supposedly helps kick start ketosis. My wife can't bear the thought of eating it directly but I think it's quite nice.

Large mixed salad with curry instead of rice.  Take away curries tend to have a lot of fat in them so that might also be an issue.

Although I realise some say fat can help you to lose weight and has other advantages.

Edited by twocents

12 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Quinoa as a rice substitute works for me.

Well, it certainly isn't a low-carb...

But, I suppose the theory is that the problems start with too high a processed grain component to the diet, and if that is the case a little quinoa wouldn't be the worst thing to have.

1 minute ago, twocents said:

Large mixed salad with curry instead of rice.  Take away curries tend to have a lot of fat in them if weight is an issue.

The fat is a good thing.

13 minutes ago, dgul said:

The fat is a good thing.

Yes.  I had edited my post already as an afterthought.  

I think that can be so but it's not always inevitably good.  I also think for weight loss it has to be self monitored and persevered with along with your other food intakes which isn't everyone's way.

Edited by twocents

How about a big plate of steamed veg with your meat (with or without butter) - carrots, various type of broccoli  and Savoy cabbage are particular favourites of mine. You won't miss the staples (stodge) eventually.

You could also try the "cauliflower rice" thing (youtube it) as a substitute.

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

2 minutes ago, twocents said:

Yes.  I had edited my post already as an afterthought.  

I think that can be so but it's not always inevitably good.  I also think for weight loss it has to be monitored and persevered with along with your other food intakes which isn't everyone's way.

I really don't think so.

The trouble is, people believe the nutritionist's 'food pyramid' and then have to do calorie counting as they're forever hungry.

If you eat a fat rich diet then your become satiated and don't want to eat more stuff.

I actually find it incredible.  I eat a 'healthy' diet for years, yet got bigger and bigger.  Not massive, but I could see by 40 my waist size only going one way.  My wife used to comment on my naturally 'healthy' diet (the low fat part particularly).  Then I had a couple of chance encounters which made me inquire as to how it all works.  I broke out of the 'fat makes you fat' meme, which seems almost unassailable in popular culture.  Then, increasing fat consumption (not Atkins, quite mild in comparison really) and not doing anything else made my waist size go down.  I also got my 5K runs to under 30 mins, whereas I thought those days were gone.  Nowadays I think that the whole western low fat diet is a disastrous experiment, responsible for many thousands of unpleasant lives (cue the mobility scooter fattie thread).

I have cut carbs for one meal a day, having a salad for lunch.

Main change is an hour's swim every morning.

Combination of the two has seen me go down from peak 108KG to 99.5KG in just under five months.

If I didn't drink my own wight in beer, I suspect that I could have lost the same weight in half the time.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

I really don't think so.

The trouble is, people believe the nutritionist's 'food pyramid' and then have to do calorie counting as they're forever hungry.

If you eat a fat rich diet then your become satiated and don't want to eat more stuff.

I actually find it incredible.  I eat a 'healthy' diet for years, yet got bigger and bigger.  Not massive, but I could see by 40 my waist size only going one way.  My wife used to comment on my naturally 'healthy' diet (the low fat part particularly).  Then I had a couple of chance encounters which made me inquire as to how it all works.  I broke out of the 'fat makes you fat' meme, which seems almost unassailable in popular culture.  Then, increasing fat consumption (not Atkins, quite mild in comparison really) and not doing anything else made my waist size go down.  I also got my 5K runs to under 30 mins, whereas I thought those days were gone.  Nowadays I think that the whole western low fat diet is a disastrous experiment, responsible for many thousands of unpleasant lives (cue the mobility scooter fattie thread).

My comment was really to do with the low carb/rice etc question.  It wasn't intended to knock fat or or otherwise - I added the point more as a rider about take away curries.  With home made curries you can keep control of the ingredients.

I know the basic theory of the fat "diet" and that there are advantages with it and meats taste much better with it and so on - that's why I modified my post as an afterthought/disclaimer.  I just don't think that it's inevitably good depending on various factors including type of fat, age, general diet and lifestyle etc.  For example I don't think the high fat diet works if you're also eating a lot of carbs etc.  I also believe that eating carbs can make you even hungrier and it's often difficult to achieve satisfaction with them.  

I know there are many people who are strong proponents of the high fat diet.

Edited by twocents

As an example of the permeation of 'fat makes you fat' in the 20th century, take the innocent nursery rhyme 'Jack Spratt' -- remember, he eats no fat, his wife only fatty foods.  I've dug out some old prints of the rhyme...  (sorry for the long post; images, you see).

1820:

PN970_K4_L54_1920_0001.jp2&scale=8&rotat

1840:

pr974_c53_1700z_no5_2-3.jpg

1880:

Jack.jpg

1888:

Z0024903.jpg

1910:

1910s-usa-nursery-rhymes-book-plate-exte

1915:

jacksprat-greenaway.gif

1925:

0a4f2df34be27efd2269215146db2b8a--mother

1930:

2011_11_21_11_40_02.jpg

1950:

1950s-uk-jack-sprat-book-plate-exr2yr.jp

1950s:

file.jpg

1960s:

jack-sprat.jpg

And then gazillions more of the same for the past 40 years.

I find this incredible.  Something happened in the early 20th century to completely change the way we look at dietary fat.