DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Built in a reservoir?

sarahbell

Calling it "Reservoir House" seems to be tempting fate somewhat.

They should have learned from the house called "Cliffhanger" on the Isle of Sheppey that was renamed "Clifffaller" last year.

NINTCHDBPICT000586310707.jpg

49 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/112742942#/?channel=RES_NEW

A spectacular contemporary home built in the former Hawksworth Moor Reservoir, on the edge of Ilkley Moor.

What happens when it rains?

I quite like it.  Looks like an old disused service reservoir to me, the water was probably pumped up to it to when it was in use.

Yadda yadda yadda
19 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Calling it "Reservoir House" seems to be tempting fate somewhat.

They should have learned from the house called "Cliffhanger" on the Isle of Sheppey that was renamed "Clifffaller" last year.

NINTCHDBPICT000586310707.jpg

Looking at the gates at the bottom of that picture that house must have been right at the edge of the original cliff. Bonkers. I do like traffic cone towards the right edge of the cliff.

49 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

How many ovens does one kitchen need?

That's 2 double ovens, a microwave and a coffee machine. Seen that in much smaller kitchens. Never understood a microwave / oven at eye level, soup  spillage disaster.

48 minutes ago, Ghostly said:

Why do people name their houses, it’s so pretentious. The stupid thing is you can add a house name but the Land Registry won’t let you remove it. Bizarre.

I only found out that I had a house name when my first water bill came through addressed to it.

The most amusing is when second homers / holiday letters give their homes Cornish names and spell them wrongly.

Though having said that I flicked through a few pages of holiday cottages and they were all correct bar possibly Foye Cottage at Fowey though the phonetic spelling may be deliberate.

I've seen them in RL anyway.

Yadda yadda yadda
33 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

That's 2 double ovens, a microwave and a coffee machine. Seen that in much smaller kitchens. Never understood a microwave / oven at eye level, soup  spillage disaster.

Seems a bit much to me. The only thing I can think of is if you're cooking a Sunday lunch and you've got a vegan who needs everything kept separate.

Never look up into an oven, only down. @Wight Flight

5 minutes ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Seems a bit much to me. The only thing I can think of is if you're cooking a Sunday lunch and you've got a vegan who needs everything kept separate.

Never look up into an oven, only down. @Wight Flight

You would presume, with a seven-bedroom house, that you would need to cook for a few people. Those dinner parties would require that much to be able to cook proper chef style food for say 10 people.

I would expect in a house like that, they would bring in a chef to cook for large gatherings.

Years ago when I was working as a chef, I had to cook breakfast for 98 people, it was a f**king nightmare, even with a load of ovens.

Yadda yadda yadda
18 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

You would presume, with a seven-bedroom house, that you would need to cook for a few people. Those dinner parties would require that much to be able to cook proper chef style food for say 10 people.

I would expect in a house like that, they would bring in a chef to cook for large gatherings.

Years ago when I was working as a chef, I had to cook breakfast for 98 people, it was a f**king nightmare, even with a load of ovens.

I'm too plebian to contemplate that. I can cook a great meal with a single oven and some hobs. Not five courses though.

22 minutes ago, spunko said:

I think it's stunning but the bedrooms are too big. There's very little you can put in bedrooms besides a bed. Makes it look quite cold and not very homely.

The only Grand Designs house I've seen in recent years, and only watched it because it was in Cornwall, was this one done way inland from the north coast.

The height of the rooms is bonkers; I can't embed for some reason but they must be twenty feet high.

That's a lot of air space to heat before you start to get warm.

And it has a flat roof. In Cornwall.

Caveat emptor indeed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8435761/Ferris-Bueller-lookalike-house-Grand-Designs-sale-2-5million.html

2 hours ago, spunko said:

I think it's stunning but the bedrooms are too big. There's very little you can put in bedrooms besides a bed. Makes it look quite cold and not very homely.

I've always thought that I could do with more space - that is the first property where I know the real answer is that you don't.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely horrible . Looks like a hole has been dug in the ground and it was inside it , with no views on three sides . trees surrounding it cutting out 3/4 of any natural light .

On 08/11/2021 at 09:27, Gin said:

Absolutely horrible . Looks like a hole has been dug in the ground and it was inside it , with no views on three sides . trees surrounding it cutting out 3/4 of any natural light .

That's kind of the point, you can only get planning permission for exceptional properties when they are hidden pretty much by the landscape. I haven't checked but I bet this ones in an aonb or protected landscape area. Building a normal house of this size would be impossible.

27 minutes ago, spunko said:

That's kind of the point, you can only get planning permission for exceptional properties when they are hidden pretty much by the landscape. I haven't checked but I bet this ones in an aonb or protected landscape area. Building a normal house of this size would be impossible.

The thing I have with it , is I like a house that feels connected to its immediate environment and that may look connected from the outside looking in , but inside looking out it would feel like a disconnect . You could be lving anywhere in it .

Archived