DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Underrated and obscure dishes

spunko

Not the china ones :Old: I mean recipes. Does anyone know any? I am always on the look out for new recipes to make at home. Preferably British ones.

One of my favourites to make is kedgeree. Maybe it's not that obscure but I'm surprised how few folk have heard of it. Kedgeree is a Victorian smoked haddock + rice/curry dish, but not that spicy. Often you serve it with hard boiled eggs.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/kedgeree/

It seems to me that Victorian cuisine was the best we've had in this country. Maybe except Mrs Beeton's owl stew.

Anyone know any more?

Screenshot 2021-09-13 at 19-28-37 Easy kedgeree recipe Jamie Oliver haddock recipes.png

• Agree 3
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 2

One percent
17 minutes ago, spunko said:

Not the china ones :Old: I mean recipes. Does anyone know any? I am always on the look out for new recipes to make at home. Preferably British ones.

One of my favourites to make is kedgeree. Maybe it's not that obscure but I'm surprised how few folk have heard of it. Kedgeree is a Victorian smoked haddock + rice/curry dish, but not that spicy. Often you serve it with hard boiled eggs.

It seems to me that Victorian cuisine was the best we've had in this country. Maybe except Mrs Beeton's owl stew.

Anyone know any more?

Screenshot 2021-09-13 at 19-28-37 Easy kedgeree recipe Jamie Oliver haddock recipes.png

I stumbled across this yesterday.  Sounds delicious. Wonder if it could be easily scaled down?

sheephearders breakfast

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sheepherder-s-breakfast/

working woman

Mediterranean Lemon Chicken - Easy and Delicious

Serves 4

Put the following ingredients into a large ceramic / pyrex baking dish:

(It needs to be large enough that all 8 chicken pieces can sit on the bottom and are not piled on top of each other.

---------------------------------

A packet of 8 chicken thighs

4 Tablesppons of olive oil

Juice of two lemons

6  crushed garlic cloves (add more if you love garlic)

8 Stems of rosemary

Salt and Pepper to season

Roast in Oven 200 Degrees for 40 mins.

Serve with rice as this holds the juices and is delicious, plus veg such as carrots and broccoli.

The rosemary turns crispy and can be eaten.

We started cooking this four years ago every week and noticed we no longer got bad colds.

If there is two of you, you can eat half one day and reheat the rest the next. 

Edited by working woman
  • Informative 1

Roger_Mellie
2 hours ago, spunko said:

Anyone know any more?

Kedgeree's delicious. 

Personally I love pretty much anything Indian. 

Obscure dishes though... Is there anything really obscure these days? I've had some weird stuff in Korea, but that doesn't really count. 

working woman

TUNA DRY FRY - serves 2

My own concoction - a quick and tasty topping for pasta, takes 10 minutes.

1. Put a pan of pasta on to boil. 

2. Take a frying pan, add plenty of oilve oil and saute the following:

1 onion diced

1 carrot diced

6 cloves of garlic

Once softened, add:

A tin of tuna, drained.

2 teaspoons of dried mixed herbs.

Fry for a couple of minutes.

Serve over the top of the cooked pasta.

You can also add some grated cheese.

Edited by working woman
  • Agree 1

working woman

MEXICAN DRY FRY - serves 2

Another one of my concoctions - a quick and tasty topping for rice, takes 10 minutes. 

A sort of Mexican Kedgeree??????

1. Put a pan of rice on to boil. 

2. Take a frying pan, add plenty of oilve oil and saute the following:

1 onion diced

1 carrot diced

6 cloves of garlic

Once softened, add more oil and add:

Half a tin of drained Kidney Beans - drained

1 teaspoon of chilli powder.

Fry for a couple of minutes.

Serve over the top of the cooked rice.

You can also add on top some grated cheese, a fried egg or both.

I would say anything involving offal..  mainly because it has fallen out of fashion (or people are just more squeamish now).

My example would be a childhood favourite,  devilled kidneys with mashed potatoes.

• Agree 1

Mashed mackerel on pitta breads, in the oven for 10-15 mins. One tin of mackerel per pitta.

You can add all sorts to the mashed mackerel - chillies, ginger, turmeric & pepper.

I don't know if you consider Hungarian goulash obscure or just old school but I like it and it's easy in the slow cooker.

Diced beef

Garlic

Tin of tomatoes

Tomato puree

Smoked paprika

Onion

Red pepper

Beef/chicken stock (not necessary but does improve it)

Season the meat and seal it in a pan, then whack everything in the slow cooker for 8 hours.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Kedgeree's delicious. 

Personally I love pretty much anything Indian. 

Obscure dishes though... Is there anything really obscure these days? I've had some weird stuff in Korea, but that doesn't really count. 

Who knows what was in my microwave ready meals I purchsed from the corner shop in Korea? All I understood was 7:30 minutes at 800 Watts.

3 hours ago, Libspero said:

I would say anything involving offal..  mainly because it has fallen out of fashion (or people are just more squeamish now).

My example would be a childhood favourite,  devilled kidneys with mashed potatoes.

I quite like a lamb's liver risotto.

• Agree 1

Roger_Mellie
1 minute ago, MrPin said:

Who knows what was in my microwave ready meals I purchsed from the corner shop in Korea? All I understood was 7:30 minutes at 800 Watts.

I had the 'live' octopus, not really live, they just squeeze lemon juice on it to make the muscles contract so it looks like it's squirming on your plate. Remarkably hard to put in your mouth.

The fish that stinks of piss (actually is piss because it pisses through its skin) isn't as bad as it sounds, but I wouldn't do it again. Only place I've ever been where I couldn't get on with the food. 

Frogs legs and snails... Pretty niche. Frogs legs taste of chicken and the snails just tasted of garlic. Pretty tasty but I wouldn't do it all the time. 

Part boiled eggs (Aka snotty eggs) , a favourite for breakfast in Japan. Tapped the top, took it off and thought well... In for a penny in for a pound. 

Closer to home I'm with @Libspero anything with offal is pretty niche. Not many people eating liver and onion these days, or having proper steak and kidney, or my grandads favourite - tripe. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Roger_Mellie said:

I had the 'live' octopus, not really live, they just squeeze lemon juice on it to make the muscles contract so it looks like it's squirming on your plate. Remarkably hard to put in your mouth.

The fish that stinks of piss (actually is piss because it pisses through its skin) isn't as bad as it sounds, but I wouldn't do it again. Only place I've ever been where I couldn't get on with the food. 

Frogs legs and snails... Pretty niche. Frogs legs taste of chicken and the snails just tasted of garlic. Pretty tasty but I wouldn't do it all the time. 

Part boiled eggs (Aka snotty eggs) , a favourite for breakfast in Japan. Tapped the top, took it off and thought well... In for a penny in for a pound. 

Closer to home I'm with @Libspero anything with offal is pretty niche. Not many people eating liver and onion these days, or having proper steak and kidney, or my grandads favourite - tripe. 

I'm not sure what I think of tripe. Never tried it.

Those Northerners eat some weird crap.

Must admit, I like a haggis occasionally. I put ketchup on it, which is probably wrong.

Octopus is Cthulu's sphincter as far as I am concerned.

• Lol 1

Well I am still waiting for someone to tell me what owl stew tastes like. There must be at least one person here whose eaten owl.

Roger_Mellie
34 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I'm not sure what I think of tripe. Never tried it.

Those Northerners eat some weird crap.

Must admit, I like a haggis occasionally. I put ketchup on it, which is probably wrong.

Octopus is Cthulu's sphincter as far as I am concerned.

Stuff like tripe is survival food innit? When it was a choice between eating or going hungry and you couldn't buy a bag of cheap oven chips, and you didn't have an oven. 

As my dad says to the 'wheat and dairy intolerant' Mrs. Mellie: you'd eat owt if you were hungry.

Thinking about it, one I'd like to try just once is the Kenyan breakfast dish: fresh milk mixed with fresh cows blood. That's obscure. Definitely one to be tried but not repeated, about 7 minutes in here:

45 minutes ago, spunko said:

Well I am still waiting for someone to tell me what owl stew tastes like. There must be at least one person here whose eaten owl.

And I thought I was one of the younger ones on here...

59 minutes ago, spunko said:

"who's" Sir please! I expect @Captain Caveyhas some marvellous recipes.

• Agree 1

belfastchild

Does champ classify as obscure? Certainly underrated.
Just boil potatoes, add scallions/spring onions, butter, mash. Add two of your finest quality local fried sausages to the lot and away you go.

For an extra touch mash the spuds first with butter then heat some full fat milk with the chopped scallions and then pour that in to get really creamy oniony champ. Do an onion gravy with the sausages as well.

Colcannon is the same but with the scallions replaced by cabbage or kale. I think thats rank though, but I have enough spuds, scallions and kale grown this year to see me through winter!
Just need to start growing venison sausages and Im laughing!

• Agree 1

I found a modern adaptation of Mrs Beeton's Owl Soup. They recommend pigeon or chicken instead, apparently it's a criminal offence to kill an owl.

https://recipecircus.com/recipes/gijane/BRITISH/Owl_Soup_.html

The original Shropshire recipe called for "one plump young barn owl, boiled for two hours."

Strange to think people used to eat barn owls, shows how common they must have been.

• Informative 1

16 hours ago, spunko said:

I thought you were veggie for some reason?

Regardless that does look very tasty.

11 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I thought you were veggie for some reason?

Regardless that does look very tasty.

Nah, I eat fish.

I actually had beef at a BBQ the other month, for the first time in years, but that's another story... :Old:

• Cheers 1

Captain Cavey
7 hours ago, MrPin said:

"who's" Sir please! I expect @Captain Caveyhas some marvellous recipes.

Not owl. Probably the weirdest bird was a big swift in Borneo. You catch them by tying a fishing triple hook to a cicada and letting it fly up on a thin fishing line. Air fishing for birds. Tastes like pigeon/KFC

7 hours ago, Roger_Mellie said:

Stuff like tripe is survival food innit? When it was a choice between eating or going hungry and you couldn't buy a bag of cheap oven chips, and you didn't have an oven. 

As my dad says to the 'wheat and dairy intolerant' Mrs. Mellie: you'd eat owt if you were hungry.

Thinking about it, one I'd like to try just once is the Kenyan breakfast dish: fresh milk mixed with fresh cows blood. That's obscure. Definitely one to be tried but not repeated, about 7 minutes in here:

I’ve tried the blood milk. Tastes exactly how you think it would. Horrible. 0/5 stars review.

• Informative 1
  • Lol 1

Roger_Mellie
10 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

I’ve tried the blood milk. Tastes exactly how you think it would. Horrible. 0/5 stars review.

xD

Not a surprise! 

Long time lurking
11 hours ago, spunko said:

I have eaten quite a few different birds but never an owl ,crow is ok as long as it`s this years bird same can be said for most regarding age 

Tried a seagull once nothing on them and salty as you would expect ,mallard is really nice as long as they are not feeding on a foreshore 

• Informative 1