DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Underrated and obscure dishes

spunko

I love haggis and can now stomach -and enjoy- a bit of black pudding but pretty green with other stuff.  Even stuff I enjoyed when young like rabbit I don't think I'm game for.  Maybe venison not had in a while but the strong meat/ game taste is a bit much.

Saying that there is something in going for the most unpopular foods just for cost alone.  If I was to create an app of sorts I would build something that compared historical prices to present and found the most out of favor foods.  

Not sure obscure but something I don't think you see so often nowadays is oxtail stew.  Is a bit of a faff doing proper but delicious hearty fare if you do.

Also love kedgiree...and chowder.  Would a traditional british version of the latter have cockles and muscles?  

22 hours ago, spunko said:

I found a modern adaptation of Mrs Beeton's Owl Soup. They recommend pigeon or chicken instead, apparently it's a criminal offence to kill an owl.

https://recipecircus.com/recipes/gijane/BRITISH/Owl_Soup_.html

Strange to think people used to eat barn owls, shows how common they must have been.

Unfortunately plebs can't kill pigeons now.. only the landed gentry.

The lethal control (killing) of pigeons, seagulls and other wild birds in the UK is legislated by the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), courtesy of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Chapter 69), which effectively reports that it is illegal to kill or injure any wild bird, including pigeons ...

15 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

The lethal control (killing) of pigeons, seagulls and other wild birds in the UK is legislated by the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), courtesy of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Chapter 69), which effectively reports that it is illegal to kill or injure any wild bird, including pigeons ...

I believe you can buy squab meat at Waitrose (farmed).

• Cheers 1

Just remembered I did eat Shag in some Icelandic poncy restaurant years ago. Don't think it was too great but I did eat it. 

Its not really a dish - but I think a big mug of bovril with added Worcester sauce and cracked black pepper on a cold day when feeling a bit run down - is absolutely sublime and extremely underrated.

Fuck yer coffees and teas !! :Old:

belfastchild
15 hours ago, Dogtania said:

I love haggis and can now stomach -and enjoy- a bit of black pudding but pretty green with other stuff. 

Couple of eggs scrambled in a bowl in the microwave topped wih a couple of slices of fried black pudding...

26 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

Couple of eggs scrambled in a bowl in the microwave topped wih a couple of slices of fried black pudding...

Sounds amazing, but microwave for scrambled egg?  I did used to 'boil' an egg in the microwave and recall it being ok taste wise albeit rubbery texture. 

belfastchild
1 hour ago, Dogtania said:

Sounds amazing, but microwave for scrambled egg?  I did used to 'boil' an egg in the microwave and recall it being ok taste wise albeit rubbery texture. 

I found the trick with scrambled egg in the microwave is to slightly undercook it (so it looks wet) and then stir it a bit and leave it to cook the wet parts. Thats about a minute in my 800w microwave. I still get it rubbery from time to time!

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, belfastchild said:

I found the trick with scrambled egg in the microwave is to slightly undercook it (so it looks wet) and then stir it a bit and leave it to cook the wet parts. Thats about a minute in my 800w microwave. I still get it rubbery from time to time!

That's a good tip.  Thinking now makes sense as with eggs the balance between runny and rubbery is pretty slim.  I'm not an omelette master and only occasionally cook but never managed to get it the 'proper' way (where it finishes cooking on the plate after serving) let alone it not looking like a total mess/ mound of ingredients and egg marital.

I do try to avoid microwave though, perhaps needlessly, due to some conflictimg info out there regarding what it does to the fats, possibly detrimental.

Long time lurking
8 hours ago, Bilbo said:

It`s a law that is easily bypassed with a letter from the landowner to defra/environment agency regarding pigeons/crows as long as they are growing a crop of some sort  

One percent
23 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

It`s a law that is easily bypassed with a letter from the landowner to defra/environment agency regarding pigeons/crows as long as they are growing a crop of some sort  

I guess it’s a bit like pheasant round here.  If YOU run it over, you are not allowed to take it but if someone else runs it over and you find it dead in the road, you are perfectly entitled to pick it up. 

Long time lurking
28 minutes ago, One percent said:

I guess it’s a bit like pheasant round here.  If YOU run it over, you are not allowed to take it but if someone else runs it over and you find it dead in the road, you are perfectly entitled to pick it up. 

It`s far easier i just typed out a letter saying i had a problem with pigeons/corvids on my arable crops for the farmer he signed it sent it off with a outline of his land ,,job done 

They turned Chris Packham's moral victory into a box ticking exercise 

Jesus Wept

This takes about 5 hours in the casserole dish. Usual vegetable mix, stock, few cans of Guinness and little bit of bisto to thicken the stew.

0E566EDD-1CB3-48A1-BF79-4144E301C647.jpeg

15 hours ago, Jesus Wept said:

This takes about 5 hours in the casserole dish. Usual vegetable mix, stock, few cans of Guinness and little bit of bisto to thicken the stew.

0E566EDD-1CB3-48A1-BF79-4144E301C647.jpeg

image.png.f7a300e74605f3d901be57b7b54d887b.png

• Bogged 1
  • Lol 1

The Grey Man

Watching a video of one of the many types of Grouper fish.

They are not all those rare giants.

Goergeous fish. Expensive and worth it. Meatier than Monk Fish.

Never purchased in the UK though. Restaurants in Asia.

• Informative 1

On 17/09/2021 at 18:24, Captain Cavey said:

Maybe for an overrated obscure dish discussion, but all this talk of eggs reminds me. Duck eggs, but in the form of a soon to be hatched chick. I’ll admit the meat is very tender, but too much faff spitting out all tiny little bones and feathers

spacer.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(food)

It looks horrible.

The Grey Man
On 15/09/2021 at 09:30, Bilbo said:

My younger brother does.

Mind a registered pest controller. Air rifle usually.

I have had pigeon. Rather nice but it was labelled as something else..wood pidgeon? On the Isle of Mull.

The shit he shoots in towns are full of lice (his words) and eat any shite.

11 hours ago, The Grey Man said:

My younger brother does.

Mind a registered pest controller. Air rifle usually.

I have had pigeon. Rather nice but it was labelled as something else..wood pidgeon? On the Isle of Mull.

The shit he shoots in towns are full of lice (his words) and eat any shite.

I'm sure you know but,

PIGEONS CARRY MORE DISEASES THAN RATS.

If you look it up on the web you wouldn't touch one let alone eat one!

• Agree 1

Stinky Wizzleteats
2 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Black pudding, bacon and brussel sprouts works surprisingly well.

Classic combo 🍺

On 17/09/2021 at 18:24, Captain Cavey said:

Maybe for an overrated obscure dish discussion, but all this talk of eggs reminds me. Duck eggs, but in the form of a soon to be hatched chick. I’ll admit the meat is very tender, but too much faff spitting out all tiny little bones and feathers

spacer.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(food)

NO.

• Cheers 1

On 22/09/2021 at 13:09, spunko said:

One of those dishes you just know is from China as soon as you see it.

You could say that about some European food. I gotta admit I like a haggis. It's peasant food from a time when you didn't waste anything.

The idea that "Johnny Foreigner" eats disgusting muck is very prevalent.

I'll never understand "tripe".

Edited by MrPin