DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

iphone sending texts to face time in background?

Mirror Mirror

Question

Mirror Mirror

Hi, Just got a new sim card and looking at my on line account, Ive been charged for 5 texts which I havent sent. On querying this with the provider, it seems they are to a Face time number or Icloud number,  (not sure as the person I spoke to had a poor command of English), ie the phone is automatically communicating with something or someone (I suspect some Apple agency), without my knowledge.

How can I turn this off?

5 answers to this question

54 minutes ago, Mirror Mirror said:

Hi, Just got a new sim card and looking at my on line account, Ive been charged for 5 texts which I havent sent. On querying this with the provider, it seems they are to a Face time number or Icloud number,  (not sure as the person I spoke to had a poor command of English), ie the phone is automatically communicating with something or someone (I suspect some Apple agency), without my knowledge.

How can I turn this off?

Apple activate the SIM on their system and as a security measure text the old SIM to advise it's been changed. It's in case your phone is stolen or lost.

They also use a local number for these texts so you don't pay roaming charges, if you've been charged and your UK texts are free you need to check your phone region settings.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Mirror Mirror said:

OK, thanks, but 5 texts, sent from my phone?

If it doesn't get an acknowledgement of registration within a certain time it will resend the text. It can happen that acknowledgments are delayed or not delivered in time, no signal, phone turned off etc etc.

If the phone is updating and rebooting it can also affect the system.

• Informative 2

Mirror Mirror
1 hour ago, Option5 said:

If it doesn't get an acknowledgement of registration within a certain time it will resend the text. It can happen that acknowledgments are delayed or not delivered in time, no signal, phone turned off etc etc.

If the phone is updating and rebooting it can also affect the system.

It could be that my iCloud country is set to a different country ie not at home, since I have a few apps that aren’t available here and so I have to switch countries if I want to update.

Could that be the issue (ie sending international  texts) and if the I loud country matches the SIM card country, they would be national texts, which im sure are free?

39 minutes ago, Mirror Mirror said:

It could be that my iCloud country is set to a different country ie not at home, since I have a few apps that aren’t available here and so I have to switch countries if I want to update.

Could that be the issue (ie sending international  texts) and if the I loud country matches the SIM card country, they would be national texts, which im sure are free?

That could be the case, yes.

• Cheers 1